Radeon HD 5830 at $103 vs 6850 at $170, better value?

Alexexex

WOAH, guys I don't believe this!

I was just cruising through newegg cause my graphics card has been pissing me off with low fps all day and night, when i came across a Sapphire Radeon 5830 for only $103 with FREE SHIPPING...

Radeon 5830
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102878

However, I really want a gaming experience at 1920 x 1080 with at least 40 fps on games like GTA 4, Red Faction Guerrilla, Bad Company 2 and such, preferably on at least medium settings.

Also, my crap motherboard only sports a single PCI-E slot, so I'm pretty much confined to a single graphics card.

My other choice would be the new Radeon 6850, which apparently is THE best budget graphics card at this time. But then again how can it be the best when the Radeon 5830 is at $103 with free shipping. The Radeon 6850 comes with lifetime warranty, free shipping and is only $170.

With all these factors in play, I'm wondering which is the better deal...?

Radeon 6850
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150516

The HD6850 is a better graphics card, and newer design.

All that depends on whether your PSU can handle it though. We need spec's and total wattage.

Actually I did some research, the 6870 looks like an awesome deal for only about $165 after rebates along with two free games ( Dirt3 , Shogun Total War 2 )

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.656840

But then I also heard that the 560 ti is comparable to a 6950 and its only $215 after rebates

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130604

The performance difference between the two are about 20-35%, with the 560 ti leading.

I'm kinda falling out of budget here...

Oh and I have my old 550w to power them, but it should be enough.

And the 5830 is gone, it was sadly only for that day I was so devastated. I guess they were just trying to clear out old inventory.

Only drawback I see from the 560 ti is that there won't be any Eyefinity, which seems really awesome even if it won't give great frame rates.

Anyways, I'm just looking for an overall better deal, even if it means dropping Eyefinity :(.

Oh and I just read the sticky, my specs are my sig rig. :X o_o"

Thanks for your feedback, it really means a lot.

Actually I did some research, the 6870 looks like an awesome deal for only about $165 after rebates along with two free games ( Dirt3 , Shogun Total War 2 )
Then get it
But then I also heard that the 560 ti is comparable to a 6950 and its only $215 after rebates...I'm kinda falling out of budget here...
Then stop looking at 560 Ti and 6950's
Oh and I have my old 550w to power them, but it should be enough.
That depends on how old the PSU is, what build quality it has and the usage history.
And the 5830 is gone, it was sadly only for that day I was so devastated.
Devastated!?!...At losing out on a pricing deal on a graphics card? The same pricing level that will see the 6870 and 560 fall into in few short months
Only drawback I see from the 560 ti is that there won't be any Eyefinity, which seems really awesome even if it won't give great frame rates. Anyways, I'm just looking for an overall better deal, even if it means dropping Eyefinity :(.
So let me get this straight...you're balking at paying $40 more than your alloted budget for a 560Ti/6950, yet concerned that you won't be able to go triple-monitor gaming in future. Right.
Thanks for your feedback, it really means a lot.
Glad to be of assistance.

O_O woah.

Uhm........................

Okay I'll stop looking at them. I'm actually willing to pay a little more to go sweet spot hunting.

Its only 3 years old, well that's kinda old but w/e.

Oh that's nice to know.

Well the thing is I already have all three of the monitors...

But its just that I don't have more than a single PCI-E slot to pull this off.

Well I guess I'll go for the 6870? Summer break is upon us all!

Well the thing is I already have all three of the monitors...
My mistake I guess....I made the assumption that anyone using a 9600GSO probably wouldn't be using a triple monitor setup....especially when at least one of those monitors should have provision for DisplayPort -if you're looking at Eyefinity that is.
rv870_eyefinity.png

I bought a 5830 recently and its fantastic. I paid $120ish (forget exactly) from newegg. I only have a C2D 6400 and I can play Crysis (1) at 1920x1080 with everything maxed (I think..., maybe a couple are lower, I'll have to check). And I can play SC2 with everything on Ultra. So... I don't know why people are so encouraging to have you spend 70% more when I think those games listed will play superbly with the 5830.

You wont be playing Crysis maxed (DX10, VHQ, 4xMSAA) with a 5830...in fact I'd guess that max quality would likely be beyond 5830 Crossfire. Howevah!...to a degree, the image quality of Crysis and SC2 are somewhat secondary I would think. Older cards should be capable of playing older/current games*, what it comes down to is how much i.q. you're willing to sacrifice to play Battlefield 3 (for example), or any DX11 game that uses tessellation/ambient occlusion/particle and water effects etc.

Our OP supposedly is keen on playing at ~5760x1080...that pretty much excludes the 5830, 6850, 6870 and 560 Ti from the discussion in any case.

Back