Radeon HD 7500

Hi,

i just recently downloaded minecraft, but it wont let me play stating that "could not find openGL mode" which can be fixed by upgrading the video card?

My dad said to search ATI Radeon 7500 and see if there are any updates, but im not very computer saavy and i am having trouble looking to where to get this info, and if it will even work.

thanks,

That card is ancient. I didn't look it up but I'd guess its from around 1998. Really doubt that card can play Minecraft.

I'm not sure what the requirements are for Minecraft, but if they are pretty low you could probably find something like an nvidia 6200 that might play it. (I suggested this because they were so prolific in their day they should be dirt cheap, and they come in pci, agp, or pcie)

That card is ancient. I didn't look it up but I'd guess its from around 1998. Really doubt that card can play Minecraft.
This has drawn my curiosity. I decided to look up a few details. LOL

Radeon R100
RV200

The Radeon 7500 (RV200) is basically a die-shrink of the R100 in a new 150 nm manufacturing process. The increased density and various tweaks to the architecture allowed the GPU to function at higher clock speeds. It also allowed the card to operate with asynchronous clock operation, whereas the original R100 was always clocked synchronously with the RAM. It was ATI's first Direct3D 7-compliant GPU to include dual-monitor support (Hydravision).[3]

The Radeon 7500 launched in the second half of 2001 alongside the Radeon 8500 (R200). Around the time that the Radeon 8500 and 7500 were announced, rival Nvidia released its GeForce 3 Ti500 and Ti200, the 8500 and Ti500 are direct competitors but the 7500 and Ti200 are not.

The desktop Radeon 7500 board frequently came clocked at 290 MHz core and 230 MHz RAM. It competed with the GeForce2 Ti and later on, the GeForce4 MX440.

The desktop 7500 spawned a Mobility Radeon 7500 for mobile applications and it proved clearly superior to the GeForce 2 Go, as well as being competitive with the GeForce4 Go440.

I'm not sure what the requirements are for Minecraft, but if they are pretty low you could probably find something like an nvidia 6200 that might play it. (I suggested this because they were so prolific in their day they should be dirt cheap, and they come in pci, agp, or pcie)

The computer im using is one of like 8 my dad bought from his company when they moved to a new location. i went to a website to update the drivers. and it does work.. but crashes every now and then. i am hesitant to play it on my laptop since its mainly for work and i dont want any games on it, but i may just do that.

do you know how much a used PC would be for just gaming use? in the market these days? again im not computer saavy and dont know much about PC's in general.

Thanks for the details clifford. Guess that makes sense now because I didn't get a GF2MX until early 2001. (I remember playing Giants: Citizen Kabuto, the first Serious Sam, and Starcraft on it)

You can build yourself a new gaming machine for a few hundred dollars, if I was buying a used gaming machine I'd have a hard time justifying much over $200. There is a Buying Guide by Techspot that will help you get started if you want to build your own. Further refinements can be made by posting a new thread on it in this forum.

Back