Random BSOD when playing heavy-loaded 3D First Person Shooters

Status
Not open for further replies.
ArmA 2 has been pretty smooth since I installed it yesterday. But after I upgraded the driver for my GTX 295 from 185.85 to 186.18 + SLI patch today, I 've been constantly annoyed by the BSOD which happens randomly (usually within 5 minutes) when I am playing in game. After I gave up trying ArmA 2, I played America's Army 3 for 20 minutes, but I also got a BSOD.

Core i7 @ 3.98 GHz
OS Vista x86 SP2
GTX 295 @ stock
DDR3 @ 1520 Mhz

Minidump files attached. The first pack was generated when playing ArmA 2 and the second when playing America's Army 3.

A few questions...
1. are you overclocking? If so, reset to defaults, and see if the errors resolve.
2. have you tried rolling back the newly updated drivers? If not, try this and see if it helps.
3. have you been monitoring system heat?
4. Are you running Intel, or AMD? Other system specs may also be helpful.

The reason I ask is, while I am not set up for Vista debug symbols, the information I am seeing is pointing to hardware... and specifically to Intel hardware (which to me seems like processor)...

It's the CPU. ArmA 2 is more demanding than 3DMark Vantage. I've reset the bios to default and was able to run the game without any problem. I'll have to raise the vcore.

Thanks for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back