Random BSOD Windows 7

HaggisUK

Hello TechSpot.

I have been getting random BSOD for a while now.
I have updated all the drivers I know about and this hasn't fixed the problem.
The BSOD occurrences don't seem to follow any pattern....The screen goes blank and windows restarts...1st asking if I want to restart windows normally.

Please use simple language...I'm not the most savvy computer user. :)

Please find attached 7 minidump files.

System:-
Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
Intel Core i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67 GHz
4.0GB RAM
ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series.
Kaspersky Internet security 2012

Thank you for any help provided.

Attachments

• Minidumps.zip
    198.7 KB · Views: 9
Tmagic650...thank you for the prompt reply.

Glad to know the problem is software and not hardware.

I currently have two and a half months left on my licence...Do you think a roll-back to the 2011 version would solve the problem?

Edit: I have reported this problem to Kaspersky Tech support.....Will see if they can fix the problem...if not...then I will be switching to Microsoft Security Essentials.

3rd party antivirus programs often seem to interfere with Windows 7's firewall and Windows Defender. You can try rolling back to last years Kaspersky, but I would recommend removing it completely for test purposes. You can always reinstall it

I will test Microsoft Security Essentials....Will report back if this fixes the problem. I'll have to give it a month or so....as the interval has been as long as a month+ between crashes.

Just to add....I have Windows firewall and Windows Defender deactivated.

Tmagic650....Thanks again for helping me with this problem.

An update:-

Kaspersky support have replied....I sent them the minidump files along with a Get System info report. This is what they had to say.

Looking at your report we cannot see any sign of the BSOD's being caused by Kaspersky.

Is there something from the minidump files I can send Kaspersky that will show them KIS is the cause?

Thanks

"I have Windows firewall and Windows Defender deactivated"

This is not good. Remove Kaspersky and try Microsoft Security Essentials because you are having trouble with BSOD's

After another BSOD yesterday...I installed Microsoft Security Essentials.

If possible can someone please check the latest minidump (attached) to see if Kaspersky was the culprit.

Tmagic650...thank you for all your help....it's appreciated.

Attachments

• Minidump-032212-21356-01.zip
    28.2 KB · Views: 1
You are not running Kaspersky and MSE at the same time are you? This last minidump is flagging an ATI video driver. Is Windows Firewall and Defender running now?

You are not running Kaspersky and MSE at the same time are you? This last minidump is flagging an ATI video driver. Is Windows Firewall and Defender running now?

The crash happened while Kaspesky was still installed (MSE not installed)....I was updating the audio driver at the time of the crash...Via HD audio.

Windows firewall now running...Defender won't start while MSE is running.

Card:- ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series
I have the latest ATI driver installed but they act funny when PC starts. It seems to start fine...then after a few minutes the wee blue circle next to the pointing arrow starts flashing on and off...Then the ATI symbol (next to clock) disappears and then reappears after the blue circle stops flashing. Hope that makes sense.

I did get it from your link.

I have now reverted back to Catalyst Control Center 11.8 from 12.2. The reason for this....Channel 4 HD (UK HD tv channel) won't play correctly in Windows media centre with any driver after 11.8. ATI know about this problem.

EDIT:- Just finished my 1st full scan with MSE...It found 2 problems:-

1. TrojanDownloader:Java/OpenStream.BF
2. Exploit:Java/CVE-2011-3544.CI

Both been removed by MSE.

I haven't any idea where I got these and don't know what they are...but they don't sound good.
I have the latest version of java installed Java 7 version 7 update 3

I have done another scan and MSE found nothing....thankfully it took half the time of the 1st scan.

I ran Temp File Cleaner and it deleted something like 140mb of stuff...had to reboot after it finished.

Good morning...I'm back a little sooner that I wanted. :)

Another BSOD this morning.

At the time of the crash I was doing a satellite transponder scan with Windows Media Centre....I was also streaming a video.

Screen went black and windows restarted.

TV Card:- TBS 8920 PCI DVB-S2/DVB-S HDTV card.

Please find minidump file attached.

Thank you for any help provided.

Edit: Just done a full scan with Malwarebytes (free version) and it found this:-

Registry Keys Detected: 1
HKCU\SOFTWARE\AdTools, Inc. (Adware.AdTools) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Nothing else found.

Attachments

• 032412-19078-01.zip
    26.6 KB · Views: 1
Well HaggisUK,
It looks like your PC is still infected. It was probably infected with trojans from the start. Trojan viruses open a PC up to infection over and over again. I think you should move this over to the Virus and Malware Removal Forum. One other option is to format the hard drive and install Windows fresh using MSE from the start. The temp file cleaner is good too

One other option is to format the hard drive and install Windows fresh u

That would be a final option...as I haven't a clue how to do that at the moment...Have to get my reading specks on. :)

I scanned and scanned again...including in safe mode and nothing else found....used malwarebytes, superantispyware and MSE.

I've been thinking about when these BSOD 1st started and if my memory is correct....it was after I installed the TV card + drivers. I think windows showed a message when installing the drivers...but I can't remember what....Then had to click an option to start the instillation

So I've removed the drivers and the TV card....now keeping my fingers crossed.

I did get it from your link.

I have now reverted back to Catalyst Control Center 11.8 from 12.2. The reason for this....Channel 4 HD (UK HD tv channel) won't play correctly in Windows media centre with any driver after 11.8. ATI know about this problem.

EDIT:- Just finished my 1st full scan with MSE...It found 2 problems:-

1. TrojanDownloader:Java/OpenStream.BF
2. Exploit:Java/CVE-2011-3544.CI

Both been removed by MSE.

I haven't any idea where I got these and don't know what they are...but they don't sound good.
I have the latest version of java installed Java 7 version 7 update 3

I have just experienced exactly the same problem. KIS 2012 has been installed on a laptop and gradually it has slowed things down. It's a frequent KIS issue and normally solved by a re-install.

Anyway, this time, because I also got a BSOD whilst running a long file duplication search, I decided to give a quick try with MS SE after removing KIS 2012. During a full scan it also found 2 trojans, one of which is exactly the same as yours, the other from the same family!!!

Clearly someone has worked out how to get around KIS 2012. I have cleaned up the laptop and it is now simply whipping along very quickly. As an extra protection I added the realtime version of Malwarebytes Pro. Also for banking I added Trusteer Rapport, free via my bank, which is similar to saferun in KIS.

Everything is now clean, fast and stable!

cavehomme...I've been running MSE/windows firewall for nearly 3 weeks now..without a BSOD. I couldn't make head-nor-tail of the Windows firewall settings...so I downloaded the free version of "Windows 7 firewall control" and its a lot easier to allow/disallow things internet access.

I have also been running regular scans with Malwarebytes (free) without anything being found.

At the time I removed KIS 2012...I also removed my TV card + drivers. If I've time this weekend I'll reinstall the TV card and see how things go.

I also downloaded Sandboxie....now running firefox in a sandbox for another layer of protection.

cleaned up the laptop and it is now simply whipping along very quickly

My PC is also running nicely after the changes...long may it continue.

cavehomme...I've been running MSE/windows firewall for nearly 3 weeks now..without a BSOD. I couldn't make head-nor-tail of the Windows firewall settings...so I downloaded the free version of "Windows 7 firewall control" and its a lot easier to allow/disallow things internet access.

The MSE / Win Firewall / MWB Pro combo is really smooth and fast. I too considered your firewall option, as well as others, but to be honest I have tried most firewall out there over the years and have come to the conclusion now that if I can't trust what's on my PC then it should not really be on my PC! To avoid malware getting on the PC has to be the main priority and with my current combination I feel quite relaxed. Trusteer Rapport is also running smoothly in the background. I am using Comodo Dragon Browser for general browsing and that has a limited form of sandbox. I tried Sandboxie about a year ago but it was too obtrusive for me, but yes it's a great blocker!

Hope your lack of BSODs continues.

Back