TechSpot

Razer asks gamers if they want Project Fiona to become a reality

By Shawn Knight
Oct 4, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Razer unveiled their gaming tablet concept at CES early this year under the codename Project Fiona. The idea sparked a great deal of feedback from the gaming community (both in favor of and against) but we haven't heard much about...

Read more

2. NTAPRO

NTAPRO TS Enthusiast Posts: 811   +91

Not sure why but I keep thinking of piña colada everytime I see FIona lol

3. 3DCGMODELER

3DCGMODELER TS Enthusiast Posts: 307   +18

4. aMerkuri

aMerkuri TS Rookie Posts: 20

Princess Fiona from Shrek :)

ikesmasher likes this.
  5. NoNamesLeft

NoNamesLeft TS Rookie

Oh look, its a Wii-U

6. Gareis

Gareis TS Member Posts: 73   +14

Just passed 10,000 likes.

I'm honestly indifferent.

7. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 1,979   +391

Only if it has android or some other linux or something with a fantastic amount of software support, and preferibbly if the controller was detachable/retractable

Vrmithrax likes this.
  8. Vrmithrax

Vrmithrax TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,286   +232

I'm with you, @ikesmasher... The modularity of the system is my key interest, and it was my first thought when I saw it introduced at CES. If you can remove the tablet from the gaming apparatus, I'd be willing to give it a good look. If you are stuck with that bulky and awkward package at all times, you take away much of the "mobility" benefit, which then would leave Fiona as just an overpriced gaming tablet (and would make the WikiPad look good in comparison).

9. WTF? with android/linux way to go with under utilizing its performance.

it is made for windows 8, and will run PC games through it but with the joystick.

it looks really nice, but I cant say yes or no because I dont have spec sheet. any good concept with bad specs fail, unless im getting an assurance of 660 and up im not gonna vote for it.

10. Yes vrmithrax the joysticks are detachable.

11. Ravey

Ravey TS Rookie Posts: 20

Will this be a stand alone portable gaming console? So If I buy a game for my pc I will also have to buy it for this device?

Or will I be able to link the device to my steam account so I can play games I have already purchased via Steam?

12. Panda218

Panda218 TS Enthusiast Posts: 102   +16

I think Razer should just stick to making PC accessories instead of trying to create a new gaming platform.

13. Vrmithrax

Vrmithrax TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,286   +232

And you know this how exactly? If you look at Razer's site, or saw it at CES, you would see that the controllers are mounted on a solid frame that is integrated directly through the middle of the tablet. There is nowhere in any of Razer's videos, pics, or spec details that indicates in any way that they are removable controls. Granted, I haven't dug into their forums or facebook posts, but if you have some source links confirming that the controllers can be detached, I'd love to see them.

14. I don't think a tablet for gaming will work at all, not sure if it will ever work but right now, I don't think so.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.