Refreshed Nvidia RTX 3060, 3060 Ti, and 3070 Ti could launch in October

midian182

Staff member
Rumor mill: New Nvidia graphics cards are on their way. We already know Lovelace is arriving at some point, but according to a new rumor, some refreshed RTX 3000-series products are also being released: an RTX 3060 with 8GB of VRAM, an RTX 3060 Ti with GDDR6X memory, and an RTX 3070 Ti featuring a GPU based on the GA102.

The rumor comes from leaker Zed Wang (via VideoCardz), better known as MEGAsizedGPU. Assuming it's accurate, it appears that Nvidia is making a final push to clear existing Ampere stock before the RTX 4000 series gets here—something it has been trying to do via the constant price reductions.

Given that these three refreshed RTX 3000 cards are allegedly arriving in October, it could also suggest that the first Lovelace wave won't land until later than expected, or perhaps previous claims that only the RTX 4090 is arriving this year will prove accurate.

The upcoming Ampere additions are comprised of an RTX 3060, RTX 3060 Ti, and an RTX 3070. The refreshed RTX 3060 is said to feature 8GB of VRAM instead of the standard version's 12GB. Wang believes the memory bus will also be reduced, from 192-bit to 128-bit.

Most people aren't going to be excited by the prospect of an updated card that's less powerful than the current model, but a low price would make the RTX 3060 8GB more compelling. The cheapest RTX 3060 on Newegg right now is $349, so we might see this downgraded version come in at under $300.

A quick look at the latest Steam survey shows the RTX 3060 has been finding its way into participants' PCs faster than any other card; it's currently the sixth most popular GPU among users. Releasing a cheaper albeit slightly less powerful version during the economic downturn could be a shrewd move by Nvidia.

Next on the list is a refreshed RTX 3060 Ti that uses GDDR6X memory instead of the standard's GDDR6 and has the same 19 Gbps memory as RTX 3070 Ti, which would push its bandwidth up around 36% to 608 GB/s.

Finally, there's the RTX 3070 Ti featuring the GA102 GPU found in the 3080 and 3090 cards, as opposed to the vanilla version's GA104.

Lovelace cards, especially the first models, are expected to be both powerful and pricey, so more mid-to-higher-range Ampere options with attractive prices could help clear the excess stock that has been causing Nvidia a headache.

Nvidia's GeForce Twitter account announced ProjectBeyond last week. We don't know any details yet, though it seems almost certainly related to an RTX 4000 announcement coming at GTC on September 20.

Permalink to story.

Oh, so the problem is obviously that Nvidia doesn't have enough Ampere SKUs, not that the prices for Ampere are out of whack.

I wouldn't put this past them. Can you put GDDR6X on a GA104, though? It's not pin compatible with GDDR6, don't know if they use the same controller.

Being able to get rid of all sorts and kinds of leftovers, cuts, snippets and other manufacturing garbage, selling it as a product with a premium revenue...what a dream this business is.

A 3060 with a 128 bit bus.........
A full 3060 192 bit it's just 19% beter than 2060.
This reminds me of 1060 3GB tactics.

well, at least the had the same bus width - are hey going to turn this into a 6600 GT (with faster clearance memory), or are you still stuck with 15 Gbps ?

Only thing that is confirmed now is that they will purposefully delay all cards under 4080 as much as possible. Reason is simple, they want to sell overpriced 4090 and 'refreshed' 30xx.
Unless Radeon comes with some good cards in time. Not counting on it though.

I see nothing refreshing about the new Nvidia RTX 3060. Sounds like more dirty dealings by Nvidia. They should have called it an RTX 3050 Ti instead, it would have looked better to everyone and helped those to distinguish the difference between the graphic cards. Now they are just muddying the water with the RTX 3060 line of graphic cards. For that reason, I will never suggest buying this graphic card unless it comes with 12GB of memory.

For $250-300 I will sure go for a used 6700XT, if I have to buy now, and there are some with original invoice plus 14-18 months warranty left. Not sure how the market will look in Jan-Feb, be cause I always buy after the holidays.
I'm waiting also for a 4k 32" LCD deal.

Nvidia wont see any money from me after last two years and latest market practices. Even if they have the better product.

Oh, so the problem is obviously that Nvidia doesn't have enough Ampere SKUs, not that the prices for Ampere are out of whack.

Why would you call your assumption based on very little data "obvious"? I don't remember a released from Nvidia where they released every SKU at the same time I don't remember a time when their XX80 series cards were released along with the XX50 series cards. Some of their lower SKU's are built from higher GPU's that didn't pass QC. How can you comment on the prices when they haven't been announced and most AIB don't know the prices until just before the announcements?

Why speculate when there isn't enough data to form an opinion? I would wait until they are out, available, and reviewed before forming an opinion.

For $250-300 I will sure go for a used 6700XT, if I have to buy now, and there are some with original invoice plus 14-18 months warranty left. Not sure how the market will look in Jan-Feb, be cause I always buy after the holidays.
I'm waiting also for a 4k 32" LCD deal.

Nvidia wont see any money from me after last two years and latest market practices. Even if they have the better product.
I bought a 3090 FE at MSRP directly from the NVIDIA designated distributor in Europe. Nvidia didn't raise prices AIB's did. Seems like you didn't realize that all the AIB's price their cards however they want, just like they did with AMD card that were over MSRP. I wasn't able to buy AMD's version of an FE card, however. Those seemed to be especially rare and it reminded me very much of the Vega 56/64 launches except they were eventually available. I looked to see if they restocked them by now since demand has dropped significantly, but no. I had a feeling AMD wouldn't make as much money selling their cards directly to consumers since it would make it more difficult for AIB's to increase prices.

If demand outstrips supply why would prices go down? It has nothing to do with anything Nvidia did since every market with higher demand and lower supply had an increase in prices. Cars were being sold for double their MSRP. Camera's shot up in prices, guitars and basses did too. I don't know of any industry that lowered prices during the pandemic.

Back