TechSpot

Riddle Me This...

By millerwjr
Dec 9, 2007
  1. Ok, I am not a network guru, but I have done some basic network setups with my trusty Linksys WRT55AG (modem to router, router to Computer X via either ethernet cable or wireless). I am familiar with setting IP addresses, but I'm still a little foggy on how everything sorts out with DNS addresses. This being said, my ultimate goal seems a tad lofty to me, and I'm not even sure the setup I'm trying to accomplish is even possible...

I just moved into a basement apartment and I have a wireless Verizon connection that works well in various spots, and not so well in others. I have been trying to route internet from my Vista laptop through the WRT55AG wirelessly, broadcasting to all other computers on the network... I don't even know where to begin, as Vista is a vast and strange landscape in my XP-oriented mind.

Help?

2. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 10,716   +6

Way too much to post here. Try a book from the library, where even the two main Networking for Dummies books are excellent for this... Amazon has quite a selection, but watch out for publication dates.

3. Po`Girl

Po`Girl TS Rookie Posts: 668

Hi,

I suggest you read a basic guide to the Internet HERE then Jobeard`s Basic Networking HERE

then one of the many guides about Wi fi networking HERE then something Vista specific HERE

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.