Roberto Carlos wonder goal 'no fluke', say physicists

I had to find some video of that goal - it was an amazing kick.

He's also had some impossible misses too, but boy could he kick a football!!

That was the era I actually enjoyed watching all the "R's" play; they'd carve opponents to pieces yet never looked like they were doing anything more than having a kick about.

That was the era I actually enjoyed watching all the "R's" play; they'd carve opponents to pieces yet never looked like they were doing anything more than having a kick about.
Sounds more like Patrick Vieira and Roy Keane than Ronaldo (the fat one), Ronaldinho and Rivaldo

Sounds more like Patrick Vieira and Roy Keane than Ronaldo (the fat one), Ronaldinho and Rivaldo

I did mean with trickery, not physically cutting them to pieces... Although Keane was an outstanding player (says me, a Man Utd supporter!) ;)

Eric Cantona was rather gifted too; also a keen kung fu master too. haha.

Eric Cantona was rather gifted too; also a keen kung fu master too. haha.

I couldn't disagree with that at all ;)

But the sportsman which I rate higher than any one else from the 1990s whose impact on the sport was huge as well, was Ayrton Senna, the best of them all (i.e. in F1). But that is just my opinion.

I couldn't disagree with that at all ;)

But the sportsman which I rate higher than any one else from the 1990s whose impact on the sport was huge as well, was Ayrton Senna, the best of them all (i.e. in F1). But that is just my opinion.

Indeed, an absolute tragedy, he was a legend before he even had chance to really shine in my opinion.

Well he did shine, I don't think anyone back then or even now is in the class he was. Fangio and His Schumacherness have numbers on their side, but that is about it, only Senna was the one who would not hesitate to put it online every time he went out on track. And remember that cars back then were really devils to drive, there was no 'aerodynamic aids' hence it was simple and pure mechanical grip (or rather lack of it most of the time) ..... Monaco 88 (I have never seen anyone out-pacing the other top drivers by 1.5 second, let alone doing it to greats like Prost), Donington 93 (I think, from 5th at start to 1st in 40 seconds or so, in wet and importantly in a very inferior car i.e. McLaren) are just a couple of examples of his prowess in his F1 career.

Sorry, what I meant to say was I wonder just how much better was yet to come from him.

Well that is something we can debate on some other day ;), and frankly the lot we have in the top flight now, I am not sure they can drive 'the 1250 HP monsters' the 1980s lot were driving around with minimum aids as earlier pointed out.

Back