TechSpot

RockMelt's new social browser enters limited beta

By Jos
Nov 8, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. It’s been over a year since we first heard about RockMelt’s plan to enter the increasingly competitive browser market with an alternative that heavily focuses on social network integration – particularly Facebook. Although the idea is certainly not new (think Flock), the fact that browser pioneer Marc Andreessen of Netscape fame is backing it has helped RockMelt garner a lot of attention around the web as it launched in limited beta today.

Read the whole story

2. vangrat

vangrat TS Rookie Posts: 223

Honestly, between Firefox, Opera, and IE9, I have no desire to pick up another browser. I occasionally eyeball Chrome, but with all the add-ons I have for Firefox, I just cannot be bothered. I imagine someone out there is really biting at the bit to use this new software, but unless it offers something so fantastic that it blows every other browser away. Forget it. The average user is not going to even notice this, most likely. In a few months time we will be looking at them and asking ourselves "who are they?"

NOW, that being said. I wish them the best of luck, they are brave to venture into the browser market...very, very brave...*shivers*

3. gobbybobby

gobbybobby TS Maniac Posts: 546

I will give this a go when it opens up for all.

4. Cueto_99

Cueto_99 TS Enthusiast Posts: 247   +12

It's Chrome with vertical social toolbars... I'm not so into social networking so I'll pass on this one...

5. Cryptopsy

Cryptopsy TS Rookie Posts: 47

God! Please stop making useless stuff to accommodate users to use Face***k. We are ALL able to visit the website and that's ENOUGH. Personally, I really don't want to always see facebook stuff everywhere, its annoying!

6. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,512   +314

+1

7. sMILEY4ever

sMILEY4ever TS Enthusiast Posts: 156

+2
    It's useless. It's like bragging about making a facebook addon for a browser.

8. windmill007

windmill007 TS Rookie Posts: 311

This actually looks like it could take off. Something different is the only way you have a chance to break into the browser kings. Looks like you can do a lot of cool things. I reserve judgment till I give it a shot. If its as cool as the demo looks I'm sure facebookers all would love to use that as there new browser. Be scared Microsoft...B really scared :)

9. I'm not into social networking so I'll take a pass on this one. I'd rather see a more secure browser before I see yet another browser with some cute addins.

10. gLitCh32

gLitCh32 TS Rookie Posts: 16

I also think we have enough browsers. I don't see the point to center a browser around facebook or twitter.

11. njmarkham

njmarkham TS Rookie

BURN THE BOOK OF FACES!

12. DSparil

DSparil TS Rookie Posts: 35

wow.... Why am I not surprised. More useless features!

This is definitely based on Chrome along with its useless extensions.

It's odd that Chrome still doesn't have decent extensions aside from the mandatory Flashblock and Adblock. In the time that Chrome existed, Firefox already has a load of useful extensions.

Christ! The Internet isn't only about Facebook (even though some think that it is).

13. bakape

bakape TS Enthusiast Posts: 123

+3
    Both laughable and pitiful at the same time.

14. Puiu

Puiu TS Maniac Posts: 1,079   +102

Not my kind of browser. Fortunately for me i didn't catch the social network bug so i don't need a special browser just for that.
    But if you really think about it many people will probably use it. It's scary how addicted some get from using these kind of websites/services.

15. lawfer

lawfer TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,272   +91

*facepalm*

^This.

16. jetkami

jetkami TS Rookie Posts: 99

lol....ah hahaha. Well They lost me when I saw the Mac computer in the background. If it was'nt for the "apple" we would all still be in the garden of eden.

17. Serag

Serag TS Enthusiast Posts: 179

This made me laugh hard :D

Also this is just a neatly modded Chromium for Twitholics, no way it could be called a "brand new browser"

18. Jibberish18

Jibberish18 TS Maniac Posts: 431   +8

Web Browser made to cater to people who use Facebook? Pffft! I remember a browser that catered specifically to African American people who wanted to keep up with the times. <--Now THAT was ridiculous.

19. matrix86

matrix86 TS Maniac Posts: 803   +9

An ADD person's nightmare, lol.

20. Flannelwarrior

Flannelwarrior TS Rookie Posts: 149

I couldn't care less, but my girlfriend will surely go crazy for this.

21. hellokitty[hk]

hellokitty[hk] Hello, nice to meet you! Posts: 4,376   +127

+4?
    Join the club!

22. Looks kinda interesting... Probably going to at least give it a try, but with 64-bit Firefox coming out soon (finally) it'll have to be freakin' amazing to make me switch...

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.