Rockstar to release Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas on mobile platforms next month

Shawn Knight

Staff member

grand theft auto san andreas mobile gta mobile gaming

Rockstar Games on Tuesday revealed that Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas will be coming to Amazon Kindle, Android, iOS and Windows Mobile next month, joining Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars, Grand Theft Auto 3 and Grand Theft Auto: Vice City already available on mobile. The game is getting a complete overhaul which will make for the best looking version of San Andreas yet according to a post on Rockstar Newswire.

The mobile version will arrive with touchscreen controls that include contextual options. For example, some buttons will only be displayed when they are needed and there will be three different schemes for driving. What’s more, Rockstar is revising the checkpoint system so it will be easier to progress through the game.

Best yet, Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas will also be fully compatible with gamepads including controllers like the Logitech PowerShell and the Moga Ace Power which are made specifically for iOS 7 on the iPhone and iPod touch.

As previously mentioned, the title is also receiving a complete graphics overhaul. The mobile version will feature remastered graphics with more detailed shadows, longer draw distances and an enriched color palette. We are also told that character and car models are being upgraded and given how powerful mobile GPUs have become as of late, I expect nothing short of an awesome experience when using higher-end hardware.

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas originally launched on the PlayStation 2 way back in 2004 and quickly became one of the most popular releases in the franchise.

Permalink to story.

This is simply awesome, does anyone know of a wireless controller for the iPad? Would love to hook up my iPad to the tv and use a controller to play this!

Perfect Timing!!

Next week I will be receiving my Nexus 5, big screen and powerful phone = awesome gaming!!

That's great, but Rockstar how about. Atleast considering how GTA started on the PC. Doing remastered version of Gta 3/Vice City and San Andreas on the PC?. All of these games do not work properly on Win8. (San andreas has mouse problems, III and Vice you do need to have frame-limiter on). Plus updating III and Vice City controls to be more like San Andreas (like how you can use the mouse to look around in your car).

Anyhow, Great that San andreas is coming on my phone. Something I've always wanted.

But you know, DON'T bring GTA V to PC any time soon... Gonna be interesting what kind of compression is used for this feat, San Andreas was the biggest GTA ever in it's time, the PC version alone requires almost 4GB. Vice City requires 1.4 GB on Android as it is, I would think 4 GB is getting a little big for a mobile device, even with the ever increasing storage capacities, the average is probably around 8 GB which equates to half your phones storage. I don't know if it's just me, but the idea of playing San Andreas with touch input and on a tiny *** screen just doesn't sound fun, factor in the limited time frame you have while on the go and it's a big no thanks. If I want to play it on my big screen, I'll plug in my PS2, or play it off my PC. Now port it to say, the PS Vita, and I'll pick it up.

Would be very nice to have san andreas on handheld I admit. People have wanted that for years on the psp

If my windows mobile they also mean windows 8/RT this will basically be a new pc port.

I loved San Andreas when I played on PC back in the day along with GTA III & Vice City (arguably the best game I've played yet thanks to the music and era which never gets old as far as I'm concerned) but mobile gaming is really not my thing. I'll pass.

Back