Rockstar wants GTA 6 to set creative benchmarks for the series, the industry, and all...

midian182

Staff member
What just happened? It's never easy for developers to follow a wildly successful game with one that's just as well-received. But the task is likely to be especially difficult for Rockstar, who, with the future release of GTA 6, will face comparisons with the second best-selling game of all time: GTA V. However, the company says it is up for the challenge and wants the next Grand Theft Auto title to set a benchmark for "the series, our industry, and for all entertainment."

Rockstar confirmed a new GTA game was in the works earlier this year. This was reiterated and slightly expanded upon during its parent company's latest financial results call, during which Take-Two CEO Strauss Zelnick confirmed the game would have a very high bar.

"With development of the next entry in the Grand Theft Auto series well underway, the Rockstar Games team is determined to once again set creative benchmarks for the series, our industry, and for all entertainment, just as the label has done with every one of their frontline releases," Zelnick said.

It will be interesting to discover if GTA 6 can come close to matching the success of its predecessor. Most of what we've heard about the game are rumors and speculation, though it does sound like it will be quite a departure from what we're used to seeing in a GTA title.

Last month brought news that, for the first time in the franchise's history, GTA 6 will include a female protagonist, a Latina woman who is part of a "Bonnie-and-Clyde-like" duo, suggesting the game will again feature multiple playable characters.

Additionally, we might not see much of the often-controversial humor the franchise is famous for. Rockstar is reportedly going to take a more politically correct stance in GTA 6 and not "punch down" by making fun of marginalized groups. It's a similar approach taken by the new Saints Row game that arrives this month, one that hasn't been welcomed by most of the series' fans.

As for when we'll get to find out if GTA 6 can set an industry benchmark, Rockstar first said that development was "well underway" back in February. Some rumors put its release date as far ahead as 2025. That date does seem unlikely, though Bloomberg's Jason Schreier previously said not to expect it next year.

Permalink to story.

I just hope they keep out all the "wokeism" in our culture out of it. It's a GTA game, it's mean to be raunchy, offensive and controversial.

I doubt that.
GTA5 has already been censored with a few patches.
So I expect Rockstar to double down on the woke crap for GTA6.
Remember that the people that made the great GTAs have left the company.

Let me guess, it'll be a graphical tour de force, have an open world that'll make fans cry..........and that's it.

gta5 was gorgeous but just an ok game, once it was over that world was never really put to use again, unless your an avid online player but monetarily that was abused to no end,

and if theyre gonna snatch out sarcasm and parodies of real life I'll pass, spotting those moments is what makes those games great, the next game will be a strict safe story that'll just prep people for the next iteration of online.

Please dont become WOKE !

The more woke it is, the more positive the reviews will be.

I mean, if you look at the types who review games these days on the big gaming sites, they go out of their way to shout out their virtue signalling on every woke infested cause going.

Rockstar may not care about woke-ism behind the scenes but they do care about the bottom line and won't want to risk an all out social media backlash by the angry woke keyboard warrior twots on twatter.

GTA VI plot outline:

Player character is a non-binary delivery person. The mission is to pick up a shipment of stuffing and delivery it to the teddy bear factory so they can meet their production deadline for the non-denominational winter holiday season. PC will have the opportunity to purchase and customize a living pod and display their spoils.

PC will have to navigate a city in turmoil and have multiple options for dealing with mostly peaceful protests, pox outbreaks, library story hours, and vaccination checkpoints while maintaining their social credit score. Social credit score will be the in-game currency used to purchase inventory items like cricket bars that reduce carbon footprint and replenish self esteem.

Combat will be through a social media interface on the PC's iPhone. Upgrades and power-ups can lead to powerful attacks such as "Yikes!" and "Not a good look."

I'll bet they'll have options to become transgender and even offer partial sex changes so you can better identify as a man or women without actually having to lose your sexual organs or getting the correct sexual organs surgically implanted on you.

Then any conversation you have with someone you'll have to do this:

As you continue to talk to someone, you'll need to remember how they want you to identify them as and every time you don't do it correctly you loose street cred.

Eventually, for one of the missions, you'll need to build a float for a LGBTQ+ parade while trying to thwart off bigots that are protesting the parade and blocking intersections. Your job will be to redirect the parade without letting anyone get hurt and without letting the police arrest anyone that blocks the flow of traffic.

....but, I fear that a game like this won't be woke enough for all the Karens in the world.

Frankly, they just need to focus on getting it done and out in the market place. I'm hoping they have a MUCH STRONGER and BETTER SUPPORTED single player element in it ....

Hot take alert!
It looked the best in the series graphically, but I never hated main characters (Franklin and Micheal were weak af characters that didn't fit the GTA universe. Bustas.) and the story more than in GTA V. Trevor was the only reason I kept playing until the end which I also HATED.

I pray GTA 6 is way more gritty with their strongest character(s) and story ever.

Surely they could just have a woke / non woke option when selecting your playing character? I really miss GTA3 - I know the later versions were prettier but I just loved the radio and the humour of GTA3

This game is already DOA. You can't take a title that is popular for being the polar opposite of politically correct, turn it 180° around and expect the fanbase to "just buy it".

Remember what happened to:
Saints Row
Ghostbusters 2016
The Entire Star Wars Franchise
The Marvel Cinematic Universe (specifically Captain Marvel)
etc...

All because of "the message".

It's not that "the message" is a bad thing, far from it. It's actually a great thing but you don't attract people to a position by drowning them in it. The way that these fools behave, I wonder if they're actively trying to get people to turn away from "the message" by putting it everywhere.

We should remember these words:
"THIS IS A WORK OF FICTION. ANY SIMILARITIES TO PERSONS LIVING OR DEAD, OR ACTUAL EVENTS IS PURELY COINCIDENTAL."

I just hope they keep out all the "wokeism" in our culture out of it. It's a GTA game, it's mean to be raunchy, offensive and controversial.
If that was introduced into GTA series, it would indeed be veru sad.
I ve read recently that someone asked rockstar games to remove jokes that are considered "unsafe"
from the next game.
All of these products, games movies tv, even when they are not political, they are to say bland, lacking in things that in the past made a lot of creators rich.
I dont wish them to go bankrupt, but for ruining our entertainment, they deserve it.
If you disagree, check out the story with recent batgirl cancelation.

Yes, "punching down" at "minorities" that have the full backing of every media conglomerate, government, and international megacorporation in the First World. The exact same ones that have been condemning GTA for being what it is since the very first edition.

And yet, somehow, the Russian, Chinese and Middle Eastern versions will still be selectively edited to appease the demands of their particular governments.

It's all so sadly predictable. And hypocritical.

Last edited:
If it gets any bad reviews for a lack of "wokeism" in the game, it will lead to it flying off the shelves faster....go hard or go home Rockstar.

Another foul-mouthed, crime-encouraging, low-life-glorifying game. The fall of video games. The second best selling game just reflects the mindset of today's generation.

I'll bet they'll have options to become transgender and even offer partial sex changes so you can better identify as a man or women without actually having to lose your sexual organs or getting the correct sexual organs surgically implanted on you.

Then any conversation you have with someone you'll have to do this:

As you continue to talk to someone, you'll need to remember how they want you to identify them as and every time you don't do it correctly you loose street cred.

Eventually, for one of the missions, you'll need to build a float for a LGBTQ+ parade while trying to thwart off bigots that are protesting the parade and blocking intersections. Your job will be to redirect the parade without letting anyone get hurt and without letting the police arrest anyone that blocks the flow of traffic.

....but, I fear that a game like this won't be woke enough for all the Karens in the world.

Dude, Karens are everything but woke...

Well I for one don't see any irony whatsoever in demanding that GTA6 conforms to my political sensitivities.
Perfectly stated. Since I'm 100% positive the white male bad tropes will be dialed up to 100, as a white cis male it's my moral duty to help the patriarchy and not pay a single dime to any Rockstar game from now on. Let's s see, after the saints row epic fail, will the gaming companies learn? I bet not. After cod: vanguard woke Edition, after Battlefield V: wahman with cyber am in ww2 edition, one would think they learned something. Mnope.

With Rockstar issuing random bans in GTA 5, running bots instead of having an actual customer service, shutting down the mods, and then releasing the worst remaster in the history of gaming, I don't think we should trust them with our money anymore, boys.
I for one do not care what they want GTA 6 to be as I'm not even going to bother pirating it, let alone buying.

Back