Rumor: new iPhone to be announced on August 7

Shawn Knight

Staff member

The next iPhone could be unveiled as early as August 7 if a tip from Know Your Mobile is true. A trusted industry source told the publication that Apple will host a media event that day where Cupertino will introduce the next iteration of the iPhone as well as make iOS 6 publically available.

Most believed that Apple would follow a similar reveal and launch timetable to the iPhone 4S which hit the market last October but more recent rumors have suggested that this date could be moved up to compete with Samsung’s new Galaxy S III handset. This reason seems plausible as Samsung is expected to sell nearly 10 million Galaxy S III smartphones by the end of this month and would also put Apple in line for back-to-school buying if they were able to launch at precisely the right time.

One thing that goes against this rumor is the fact that Apple has placed a “coming this fall” tagline on iOS 6. It’s very possible that the decision to move the new iPhone’s release came well after the announcement of iOS 6 at Apple’s WWDC last month.

Wired also points out that a late summer launch just feels a bit too early. Additionally, the September or October time frame better aligns Apple with the always lucrative holiday buying season. If the phone is made available in August, the competition could have something new out before the holidays that might sway buyers to their camp.

As always, we suggest taking rumors with a healthy dose of salt.

Permalink to story.

I don't use smart phones, so really don't keep on top of it. But didn't Apple just recently release a new version of the iPhone? I recall reading recent articles about people standing in line to get one.

apple , if you get ride of iStink cause it needs iTunes to Isync it, I might consider buying your product. And if you make the screen 5" like most "smart" phone where I don't have to put the phone 3inches to my face to watch a YouTube video. thank you very much.

apple , if you get ride of iStink cause it needs iTunes to Isync it, I might consider buying your product. And if you make the screen 5" like most "smart" phone where I don't have to put the phone 3inches to my face to watch a YouTube video. thank you very much.

5" ?? where?

In terms of hardware I would simply like the next iPhone to be thinner, with an edge to edge screen, and no physical home button. I don't want the handset to be any bigger (although I fear this will happen). The Samsung GS3 is just too big for me - it's practically a tablet. I think the main features that I will be looking for in the new iPhone however will be tied in with iOS 6 as opposed to the actual hardware.

Yet another apple device a tiny bit different from the last which the faithful will throw their money at. Yawn.

Back