Ryzen 3200G and 3400G leaked and photographed

mongeese

Staff
Something to look forward to: AMD’s fan favorite Ryzen 2200G and 2400G have sat on the market for over a year now, and it’s high time that they’re updated to the 12nm Zen+ architecture that the rest of Ryzen has been using for months. According to a Chinese leaker who was able to get his hands on a whopping eight units, that could be as soon as May 27.

Restaurant worker Lóuzhǔ revealed his haul on the Chiphell forums a couple of days ago, where he posted two photos (below) as evidence. He didn’t explain how he got his hands on the chips, so be skeptical. He claims to be saving some of the details of the chips until he can benchmark them in a few days, but he confirms that they will release the same day as Lisa Su’s Computex keynote, May 27.

In related and more reliable news, serial leaker Apisak has revealed the specs of a Ryzen 3200G engineering sample, which are also believed accurate by other leakers like Momomo. Compared to the 2200G, the 3200G features a 3% base clock increase, a 5% boost clock increase, and a massive 25% GPU clock increase. It keeps the same four core four thread configuration.

Rumors propagated by reliable leakers on Twitter and tech forums suggest that the 3200G will maintain the same 512 GPU shaders as the 2200G, and the same $99 price tag as well. The 3400G meanwhile employs a four core, eight thread configuration, a 4.1 GHz boost clock and the same 704 shader count on the GPU. These specs are far from confirmed, however.

2200G 2400G 3200G 3400G
Cores/Threads 4/4 4/8 4/4 4/8
Base Clock 3.5 GHz 3.6 GHz 3.6 GHz ?
Boost Clock 3.7 GHz 3.9 GHz 3.9 GHz 4.1 GHz
GPU 512 @ 1000 MHz 704 @ 1250 MHz 512 @ 1250 MHz 704 @ ?
Launch Price $99 $169 $99 ?

When we benchmarked the 2200G and 2400G back in February last year, we found that the 2400G was on average ~15% faster than the 2200G. Based on the specs, the 3200G should fall somewhere in the middle beating the 2200G by 10%. It’s unclear how the 3400G will perform, but it’s only a matter of weeks until Computex when we will almost certainly find out.

Permalink to story.

Bit disppointing .. would have lliked to see 20-25% uplift , maybe more in the gfx than CPU. And how about enegry efficient versions 35w , in a few months I suppose.
Specially as people were overclocking the 2200G for an extra 7-12% performance anyway.
Socket AM4 , surely ??

It's shame that the newer APU is not based on 7nm . I meant 2200G seems to be really desired by many companies, should not they introduce a new product rather than a refresh?

3200G with a 250MHz clock uplift on the GPU (versus 2200G) will be really nice. 25 percent is not to be sniffed at, especially if they also clock yet higher.

I found that the faster GPU in the 2400G seemed a little restricted by memory bandwidth and didn't give the gains the on paper numbers would have suggested.

These are perfect for cheap low end gaming builds. With DRAM prices finally dropping way down again then I would budget for some nice faster (3200MHz+) modules to use with these parts, it makes a difference for the graphics performance.

It's shame that the newer APU is not based on 7nm . I meant 2200G seems to be really desired by many companies, should not they introduce a new product rather than a refresh?
APUs are not really a premium product. They are for those happy with a relatively low-powered product that has a capable but not high-end all-in-one solution at a reasonable price.

Why then would AMD use the first, very expensive 7nm wafers for APUs, when they could use it on making fast CPUs instead, and sell them for more money - ideally with a discrete GPU as well? It'd cut the off their premium product if you could buy an APU with better performance for less.

Also there is likely to be integration work required, especially if the next APU (after the 3xxx series) will be based on Navi. It's better to let that happen after you have worked the kinks out of the discrete CPUs - remember the hardware issues with early revisions of Zen? - rather than do it at the same time, with both CPU and GPU in flux.

It is true that mobile versions can sell at slightly more of a premium because of the restrictions of the form factor, and this wil especially be the case with 7nm given its expected power savings, so I imagine mobile is where we will first see them, as we did with the previous APU models.

Question is, would it play nice with Plex? Could I play back 4k HDR content and this transcode on the fly without struggling? I guess questions better asked over at the Plex forums...

Bit disppointing ..

it's not surprising or disappointing to me at all... it's a damn good value/performance as it is (blame no competition, I guess). I blame unrealistic fake internet points-whoring rumor mongering

Question is, would it play nice with Plex? Could I play back 4k HDR content and this transcode on the fly without struggling? I guess questions better asked over at the Plex forums...

if the encoder can interface with the hardware encoder, it should work just fine.

The top image in this article is just a photo shopped 2200g. I would not be surprised if the other "leaked" chips were as well.

This photo doesn't seem real it says 3200g but near the bottom left, the year is 2016. Also,the YD2200... number is too much of a coincident to be 2200.
Also look at the mirror image at the bottom, it looks like Ryzen 3 2200G not 3200G.

This photo doesn't seem real it says 3200g but near the bottom left, the year is 2016. Also,the YD2200... number is too much of a coincident to be 2200.
What really troubles me is how Techspot will publish a fake photo and such a shoddy one at that. Whatever happened to due diligence?

What really troubles me is how Techspot will publish a fake photo and such a shoddy one at that. Whatever happened to due diligence?
The lead image is TechSpot's own review image edited, as a joke. The images presented as leaked are indeed leaked. Apologies for the lack of clarity.

Really wished AMD would focus on the Zen 2 APUs instead of these. The APU lovers always have to wait. Still, I am really curious to see what clocks these can do. My delided 2400g managed 4.2 ghz as the single CCX helped with stability it seems. I wouldn't be surprised if they hit 4.4 ghz on these.

APUs are not really a premium product. They are for those happy with a relatively low-powered product that has a capable but not high-end all-in-one solution at a reasonable price.

Why then would AMD use the first, very expensive 7nm wafers for APUs, when they could use it on making fast CPUs instead, and sell them for more money - ideally with a discrete GPU as well? It'd cut the off their premium product if you could buy an APU with better performance for less.

Also there is likely to be integration work required, especially if the next APU (after the 3xxx series) will be based on Navi. It's better to let that happen after you have worked the kinks out of the discrete CPUs - remember the hardware issues with early revisions of Zen? - rather than do it at the same time, with both CPU and GPU in flux.

It is true that mobile versions can sell at slightly more of a premium because of the restrictions of the form factor, and this wil especially be the case with 7nm given its expected power savings, so I imagine mobile is where we will first see them, as we did with the previous APU models.
This reply is nearly perfect in explaining why AMD would want to & does stagger their APU designs by the around 8-9ish months behind their discrete CPU's using the same arch & fab process that they are.
The only additional thing I would add being that one shouldn't expect 7nm APU's to show up in their starting form of Ryzen Mobile 3rd Gen (aka the "4000 series" mobile APUs) before January 2020 at the absolute earliest (exactly one year on from the 12nm Zen+ based Ryzen Mobile 2nd Gen ["3000" series] launch). And in fact, its probably even more likely to be sometime that spring up to early summer-ish (as each new Ryzen part generation [inc. Mobile] has come about 14 months after the prior one, & not a flat year).

Really wished AMD would focus on the Zen 2 APUs instead of these. The APU lovers always have to wait. Still, I am really curious to see what clocks these can do. My delided 2400g managed 4.2 ghz as the single CCX helped with stability it seems. I wouldn't be surprised if they hit 4.4 ghz on these.
Look at AMD's R&D budget, and then the size & growth rate of the server/data center CPU market versus that for lower end APU's (inc. mobile). It's not even a question that AMD made the right choice to prioritize their modular, discrete CPU designs (ala Zeppelin & whatever the 7nm Zen 2 chiplet is called internally) which can be used with no changes from entry level desktop all the way to the highest end servers, over their respective APU's.

This also means that by the time comes around to design their APU's, they've already had extensive experience with that current CPU arch & fab process; meaning mid-gen optimizations can be baked in (Raven Ridge for example had a number of Zen+'s performance & latency optimizations included thanks to being designed later in the pipeline) that simply wouldn't have been possible for the earlier original, CPU only parts.

The only additional thing I would add being that one shouldn't expect 7nm APU's to show up in their starting form of Ryzen Mobile 3rd Gen (aka the "4000 series" mobile APUs) before January 2020 at the absolute earliest (exactly one year on from the 12nm Zen+ based Ryzen Mobile 2nd Gen ["3000" series] launch). And in fact, its probably even more likely to be sometime that spring up to early summer-ish (as each new Ryzen part generation [inc. Mobile] has come about 14 months after the prior one, & not a flat year).
Yeah. I totally want one of those APUs for my next personal system, but I accept I'm going to have to wait a bit for it. On the plus side, that probably means AV1 support in the video codec block, and PCIe 4.0 with all that comes with it.

Back