Samsung eUFS 3.1 storage chip offers threefold increase in write speeds, enters mass production

Humza

Staff member
In a nutshell: Samsung has begun mass producing its 512GB eUFS 3.1 storage chips to address increased demand from the smartphone industry as more manufacturers prepare to ship 8K-capable video cameras on their flagship devices this year.

With its embedded Universal Flash Storage 3.1, Samsung has been able to surpass 1GB/s write speeds for smartphone storage, boasting a 3x increase over its previous eUFS 3.0 spec. The company claims it to be the 'fastest mobile storage' that will remove bottlenecks faced by smartphone users with conventional storage cards.

"At a sequential write speed of over 1,200MB/s, Samsung 512GB eUFS 3.1 boasts more than twice the speed of a SATA-based PC (540MB/s) and over ten times the speed of a UHS-I microSD card (90MB/s)," it noted in a statement, informing consumers to expect ultra-slim notebook speeds when working with large files like 8K videos or hundreds of high-res photos stored on their phones.

Samsung was among the first companies to launch an 8K-capable phone with the Galaxy S20, which eats through storage when recording at such a high resolution. Though it remains one of the very few smartphone makers to offer 8K video recording right now, more companies are certainly going to join it this year, ticking off yet another high-end spec that consumers expect from 2020 flagships.

These consumers would also be able to make their transition quicker, with Samsung noting that phones using its new eUFS 3.1 storage will take about 1.5 minutes to move 100GB of data, which is less than half of the 4-minute time currently taken by UFS 3.0-based phones. The new storage should also benefit app loading times and general use, thanks to higher IOPS seen across random read and write metrics.

Alongside 512GB modules, Samsung will also offer eUFS 3.1 storage in 256GB and 128GB capacities for premium smartphones where buyers aren't looking to get the top-spec version.

Permalink to story.

I absolutely do not see the logic in forcing 8K into devices right now beyond the bragging rights.

Most people do not even have a 4K TV with the exception of people buying TV's now. Older TV owners still have 1080p and many are at 720p.

When we upload video (and images) to social media, that content is severely downgraded. Usually 4K videos are cut down to 720p and these 6MB+ photos are downgraded to be less than 3MB.

What's the point?

To be perfectly honest, I'd be happier with more image stabilization technology and the refinement of the current 4K tech than a jump to 8K.

I can shoot 8K video right now but no one can enjoy it outsside of an 8K equipped theater.

When we upload video (and images) to social media, that content is severely downgraded. Usually 4K videos are cut down to 720p and these 6MB+ photos are downgraded to be less than 3MB.

What's the point?

To be perfectly honest, I'd be happier with more image stabilization technology and the refinement of the current 4K tech than a jump to 8K.

I can shoot 8K video right now but no one can enjoy it outsside of an 8K equipped theater.
When I was young my parents took pictures of my pet dinosaur with a kodak. Those photo negatives got passed to the younger sisters after my parents died when the meteor hit. All I have left of those times are boxes of unsorted 3x5s.

Right now my generations grandchildren are taking pictures with their phones of their pet mammals. When those great-grandchildren are looking back and boring their granchildren with their own photos/videos, 8K will look as quaint as the Kodak 3x5s in their personal life scroll 4D VM worlds. No one will even want to look at 720 and 4K upgraded because it flickers enough to make you dizzy when 3D enhanced time scrolled.

The color Kodaks they took weren't remotely the fine quality of 35mm B&W film but only 'real photographers' used 35mm color film for everything because of the cost.

Samsung's move to 8k and the high cost of specialized processing chips and massive internal storage and huge file transfers to local or cloud storage mirrors that 'difference' in Kodak to 35mm to 4x5 photo/video snapshot to professional divide in my youth.

Wait a bit and you will be talking about 8K like you look at 720 now. As the song says, "the beat goes on"

I absolutely do not see the logic in forcing 8K into devices right now beyond the bragging rights.
... I go to the comment section of some articles in the last two pages on Techspot:
#2. I have a 2080Ti
All I'm looking for is a replacement for my XS MAX 512GB with 1TB storage.
How long do I have to wait for a "CRYSIS" technology demonstrator that threatens to bring my Corei9Extreme/ 2080Ti and 32GB DDR4 to its knees?
Doesn't understand why someone would want the top tier of something "other than for bragging rights"... Spends most of his time on the internet bragging about his stuff.

In fact, just having a look back, it seems your bragging is either slowing down or you're / Techspot is actively removing it. If it's the latter though, well done to you sir :)

I personally do not have a use for 4k media myself, but the idea of using 8k or even 4k for supersampling and having a cleaner, crisper image/video (when intended) would appeal to me. Faster, more compact storage will certainly help enable that.

Outside of that, having faster storage for write operations is always nice to have even for the sake of stability, so I am not one to look a gift horse in the mouth when I eventually, one day, upgrade phones and hopefully will have such chips in it.

Most people do not even have a 4K TV with the exception of people buying TV's now. Older TV owners still have 1080p and many are at 720p.

What's the point?

8K into 4K is still better or even 1080p. Sure you aren't making movies with your phone but the higher pixel density = win.

... I go to the comment section of some articles in the last two pages on Techspot:

Doesn't understand why someone would want the top tier of something "other than for bragging rights"... Spends most of his time on the internet bragging about his stuff.

In fact, just having a look back, it seems your bragging is either slowing down or you're / Techspot is actively removing it. If it's the latter though, well done to you sir :)

Let's see if the ignore button works

Back