Samsung lays groundwork for connected homes with Smart Home platform

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Samsung is set to launch a new initiative that they claim will lay the platform framework for the connected home of the future. Known as Samsung Smart Home, the service will allow users to manage and control a number of connected electronics and appliances through a single platform from any device.

Samsung already has a number of connected products available to consumers, ranging from wearable tech like the Galaxy Gear to connected Smart TVs and even household appliances like a Wi-Fi connected front-loading washer and dryer as well as a refrigerator.

samsung smart home tvs samsung smart home

The platform will consist of three key features. Device Control will assist users in managing their home from anywhere with any device, Home View is a security system of sorts that lets users view what’s being seen from cameras embedded in various devices around the home while Smart Customer Service will notify people when an appliance is in need of servicing.

Voice commands will also work with Smart Home. For example, if you’re heading out to run some errands, simply say “going out” into your Galaxy Gear smartwatch and the system will automatically turn off your lights, adjust your thermostat and even run your dishwasher.

Users won't be required to purchase Samsung gadgets to use Smart Home, however, as the initiative is being rolled out to third party manufacturers as well.

The platform will be showcased at the Consumer Electronics Show this week with the tagline “Smart Living and Beyond.” We’re told Samsung will bring the app and ecosystem to market sometime during the first half of this year.

Permalink to story.

@NTAPRO my grandpa said it 20 years ago, my dad said it 10 years ago, now you are saying. Your kids will say it too when the tech reaches that year too.

Taking connectivity a bit too far imo. Wonder how this will turn out though
Well the "internet of things" is going to take over at one point. There wont be any "non-smart" devices in a few years unless this connectivity initiative completely fails.

It's not new, though.. Philips has done it couple years ago.. I've seen it before ~.~

Very smart until the first hurricane or flood comes knockin'

ha ha ha

This type of thing has been talked about for years, hopefully this or some other open standards method will take off. I just hope that whatever is put in place really thinks about and implements strong security.

I can see myself in the office telling the kids at home to throw the whites in the washer, sheets in the dryer, then I set up the machines and have them do their work. It'a good way to monitor kids and train them how to take care of their home even if the parents are away.

I can see myself in the office telling the kids at home to throw the whites in the washer, sheets in the dryer, then I set up the machines and have them do their work. It'a good way to monitor kids and train them how to take care of their home even if the parents are away.

But eventually the washing powder won't go in on itself. Someone has to put it in and kids often have the idea to create a bubble world and throw in the entire box. When I do the laundry I have to put in the clothes and the powder and it would be pretty strange to use the phone to start it while I'm standing next to it. I think it is more convenient for entertainment systems, lights and thermostat. I can't see the logic of hooking it up to things like a fridge. Like I'm gonna turn it off and ruin all the food while I'm at work...

Unless its a walking fridge that can deliver my drinks on the spot. Than I would say nothing about the fridge...

Back