TechSpot

Samsung loses U.S. trial, owes Apple more than $1 billion in damages

By Julio Franco
Aug 25, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. After several comings and goings over the past few months, the Apple v. Samsung verdict has come in, widely favoring Apple who claimed in U.S. courts that Samsung's Android smartphones and tablets infringed on its intellectual property, including patents, trademarks and……

Read more

2. US juries eh ? How can they let ordinary joes make decisions like this ?

If this is held in appeal, then everyone's silicon will get more expensive.

3. This is truly sad. Soon we will only have the choice of what Apple product we want because they are going to sue the pants off of everyone else for ever having used plastic in their devices...... Who needs innovation when we can have litigation right?

4. Now that the gate is open, Apple will soon go after ASUS and rest of the android device manucfacturers. I really hope Google starts flexing its muscle and kick Apple where it hurts. Clearly, Apple is targeting Google's ecosystem.

5. Well the good thing is that it will force companies like Samsung to actually develop their own stuff and truly innovate as they claim. While iOS has a great interface, surely somebody will come out with something original and as good if not better.

In the end, we, the consumers, will end up with better stuff from all the companies in the long run.

danhodge likes this.
  6. Apple didn't invent **** they simply improved upon pre-existing technology.

By 2002 companies like Palm were releasing smartphones, like the TreoSmartphone, which included include wireless web browsing, email access, computer sync, and a third party suite of applications

7. I have the original Samsung Galaxy S and most definitely did not buy it because it looks like an iPhone. I was, in fact, slightly dismayed at its iPhone resemblence.

8. Littleczr

Littleczr TS Booster Posts: 406   +78

What exactly was the dispute over? Maybe some one can link me up.

9. I'm interested with what will happen now to Apple's stock.

10. Darth Shiv

Darth Shiv TS Evangelist Posts: 1,175   +176

If they infringed then I don't think $1 billion is the way to go about fixing it

11. Only Apple wins. Everyone else (yes, all the iSheep as well) loses. A sadday for technology, a sad day for consumers.

Don't get me wrong, having worked as a designer and having ip stolen, I know patents have value. But this whole case has been about stupid things (rounded corners, icons, and so on). Goodbye free world, when "Adolph Apple" takes over...

12. Yeah -- if Apple thinks that I'm going to buy one of their stupid iJunk phones, they've got another thing coming.

I'll save my money and wait for their "patent" to expire. Given that, supposedly, they were developing this stuff what -- like 10 years ago? Well, we just need to wait until about 2019 or so -- then we can all enjoy the benefits of not owning an Apple anything.

:)

13. Littleczr

Lest not hate on apple here the truth is: Apple = best Hardware ever, operating system = lame.

techxx likes this.
  14. Yeah, now other companies will have to innovate more and mindlessly copy Apple less. It's a huge loss for consumers.

(sarcasm)

15. Scshadow

Scshadow TS Maniac Posts: 380   +53

What do you suggest, triangle tablets and smartphones? This all has to stop. Someone needs to stop Apple. What this all means is that if your phone is rectangular, then the company that sold it to you will now have to buy licenses from apple to use the patent of a rectangular phone or tablet. Apple literally can sit on its *** and rake the money in just cause they own the patent for a rectangular phone. This has and will damage the smart phone market. But yay for the jurors. They all get to retire for the rest of their lives.

16. I just got a patent on a method for entering comments so you all owe me more money than you'll ever earn.

Really stupid laws, really stupid decision.

Samsung US should file for ch11 and move all it's assets to Canada, then maybe the law can see some sense and change the patent system.

17. slamscaper

slamscaper TS Enthusiast Posts: 110   +10

Apple's claims are completely ridiculous and unfounded. I cannot believe the verdict went this way. Because of this, I have lost all faith in the US legal system.

Samsung's post-trial statement hits the nail on the head. We live in a sad world when companies like Apple can get away with what they're doing. Great products or not, Apple has demonstrated that they have no morals and they'll do whatever it takes to stay on top.

18. I see Apple loosing in the long run, ppl are sick of nazi-apple. Soon ppl will riot apple stores, burn em down, vandalizing every Apple billboard they come over too. ;)

19. This is great, apple need it ...... wait

20. Darth Shiv

Apple doesn't make the hardware. They just assemble it... the touchscreen... isn't that from Samsung?

Scodd likes this.
  21. Darth Shiv

Or setup online stores based overseas and undercut the local US market prices even more...

22. Matric

Matric TS Rookie

Just when you thought legal systems could not be anymore stupid and disconnected from the real world, they make a decision like this. Does this mean Ford can sue Chevy because they both have blue coloured cars with round headlights. Or can Edwin Belin sue Apple and pretty much everyone on the planet for transmitting a photograph over fibre optics.

Now I understand why there are so many bad lawyer jokes.

23. Littleczr

24. H3llion

H3llion TechSpot Paladin Posts: 974   +99

Watcha Smokin there Mr Little? It must be some really strong ****.

25. Littleczr

Actually I was drinking captain morgain with coke. But yeah I much rather have an android phone.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.