Saving a Emachines that will not boot

By Sport
Jun 30, 2004
  1. I brought home from work a 16 month and ill Emachines T1840

CPU Fan, H/SINK:3713S,845G CHIP,W/PUSH PIN
    Power Supply: PS 250 WATT
    CPU: CPU , Celeron 1.8 GHz CPEMINCL2
    MB: MB, Imperial 2095
    Memory: RAM DDR-RAM (128MBX1) (Max. 2GB)
    Video: Video, integrated
    Prim CD Model: CDRW, SW-240B/TG9(R400)
    Secondary CD: DVD ROM SD-616T/TG9
    HDD: HDD 40 GB
    FDD Model: FDD, SFD-321B/LTGNQ
    Modem: MODEM CONEXANT 56K V.92 - RMA
    LAN: LAN, 10/100 integrated

The unit quit suddenly and will only give me a emachine logo screen. ESC gives me a bios info screen and del key is used to enter bios setup, which it will not enter. The cpu has power and the cooling fans are running. I have neither ungraded or added anything to the computer. I have tried disconnecting all inputs, disconnecting the HD and it still will not enter bios setup or run the restore disk at all.
    I am thinking its the MB, and if I am correct is it possible to replace it with a new (micro ATX?) I have a full version of W98 I could use for now. The factory replacement sounds expensive:

http://parts.emachines.com/emachines/moreinfo.asp?product_id=68915

2. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 4,573   +65

Any chance it is under warranty?

Not only have I seen this post a couple of times on this forum, but I've seen this exact problem elsewhere too. Perhaps emachines has / will issue a recall if this is a widely distributed problem.

You can probably replace the board with a non-Emachines Baby ATX board. But you may need to modify or even replace the emachines case to get the board to fit properly (I/O panel in the back may not match up and may not be replaceable).

$149 for a crummy E-machines board is pretty steep.

3. Kaorichan

Kaorichan TS Rookie Posts: 30

Um...... =3 press random buttons........ hey it worked for my friend...

4. KingCody

KingCody TS Evangelist Posts: 992   +8

did you look at the age of this thread? it's almost 2 years old!!!

and BTW, telling people to "press random buttons" is not the best technical advice

5. Kaorichan

Kaorichan TS Rookie Posts: 30

um actually my friend did it =3

6. cubecompMTDX

cubecompMTDX TS Rookie Posts: 48

i looked at the link to the emachines site for that board and emachines is trying to rip some people off!
    1. $159!!! I could buy a new CPU/motherboard combo cheaper than that! That board is worth only $15
    2. they say it has an i865 chipset, WRONG! it has an i845GL chipset. Just get you an Asus P4B533-VM and you could probably use those restore cds. lol

I'm sure 75% or more of that price tag goes into emachine's pockets

7. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,702   +1,886

It Was The Best of Times, It was the Worst of times.....

The best thing you do could do with any Emachines 1xxx series is chuck it in a landfill. (But that would harm the environment).
    The worst thing you could do with any Emachines 1xxx series is to chuck it in a landfill. (Because that would harm the environment).

8. mlkmgr

mlkmgr TS Rookie Posts: 23

best thing to do is check the date of the thread before replying to these!!! OP is dated 6/30/04!!!!

9. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,702   +1,886

Run......! The Post Police Are Here....!

Since KingCody mentioned that back in June of 2006 (see above), I think it would be safe to assume I was quite aware of that fact. I will, as an issue of accommodation, edit my post to make it time independent. Still, you have to admit I was right about what to do with that ,(or any), Emachines with a 1XXX model designation. :haha: In fact, let this thread serve as a reminder that many old computers are not really redeemable, so don't even bother to ask! :dead:

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.