TechSpot

Some programs won't run - Win 7 Pro, 64-bit

By TomSEA
Oct 7, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. Hi Gang,

I'm at a loss here. I recently built a new rig, using an SSD drive for the boot drive and a 1TB mechanical drive to hold programs/data.

I've encountered two programs that won't boot up after installation. I double-click on the program icon, get the "waiting" pointer icon for about 5 seconds and then nothing. Checking the Task Manager, the program isn't running. I've uninstalled/reinstalled the programs 2-3 times with no effect. I've tried installing them on the SSD, then the mechanical drive, again, no effect.

The two programs (so far), are Gigabyte's EasyTune6:
    http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/NETWORK-CARD/INTEL/Gigabyte-EasyTune-6-Utility.shtml

and nHancer (an nVidia Control Panel):
    http://www.nhancer.com/

Any ideas or suggestions as to what's going on with these?

Thanks in advance!
  2. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,048   +75

Have you tried to run them in compatibility mode?

Also, have you updated your windows recently? I remember there was some patches involving .Net Framework; i.e. the updates may have rendered nHancer incompatible with Win7x64 (its just a calculated guess atm); I don't have nVidia card in this rig but I'd check nHancer for you on my secondary rig later on.
  3. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Topic Starter Posts: 2,346   +396

Hi Archean - thanks for the response.

Yup, it's a brand new, fresh Windows install, complete with all updates. Also have the most current version of .Net Framework (4). Haven't tried compatibility mode yet. I don't believe either one of these programs would require it (the EasyTune comes on the CD provided with the motherboard, and it's a high-end one GA-X58A-UD3R), but ya never know about these things. I'll give that a shot tonight...
  4. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,048   +75

Fair enough, please do update us with regard to your progress.
  5. TomSEA

Compatibility Mode didn't work. I tried an earlier version (one that came on the CD as opposed to downloading the latest from the Gigabyte website) and same result - doesn't work. HOWEVER...there were six other utilities on the Gigabyte CD that I installed - even if I didn't want to use them - and they all worked just fine.

Also, I checked the event logs and there was no record shown of the EasyTune startup. Very strange. Oh well, I'll keep tinkering with it and see if I can get it to work somehow.
  6. Matthew

Matthew TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,059   +84 Staff Member

Odd. Have you tried to ping Gigabyte's support? It might be a known issue and you're tearing your hair out for no reason :).
  7. TomSEA

Well, I've checked Gigabyte's forums to no avail. Interestingly enough, the MOBO CD game with 6 utility programs. I only really want 3 of them, but installed all 6 just to see if they worked. They all did except for the EasyTune. (shrugs) I just don't know what's going on and am a loss as to what to try next to find a solution. :(

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.