Sony preps 320GB PS3 for September, 160GB now available

Matthew DeCarlo

Hoping to steal the spotlight back from Microsoft's updated Xbox 360, Sony unveiled two new PlayStation 3 models during Gamescom today. One of the packages seems to be a regular old PS3 Slim with 160GB of storage instead of 120GB, and it's already available online with the same $300 price tag. The second a $400 bundle that's coming September 19 and includes a 320GB PS3, the Move motion controller and Eye camera, as well as a copy of Sports Champion and a demo disc.

Sony also used the venue to announce various video-related additions to the PS3. The console will soon be able to watch Netflix without a disc, Hulu Plus has entered beta with a public launch due early next year, and the company showed Mubi, another film streaming service that PC World describes as a mash-up of Facebook, Twitter and Netflix.

Naturally, there's a ton of game news too. There's new trailers/gameplay footage for Infamous 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Killzone 3 and others, Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One and Resistance 3 were confirmed, Virtua Tennis 4 will be in 3D (Uncharted 3 might be), MAG is getting Move support, and Gran Turismo 5 will launch in Europe November 3.

Permalink to story.

it's better than the 40GB I have at home...really annoying when you don't have enough room to install a game (some games take up to 5GB).

I don't know how many more times they can "rebrand" the XBox and PS3 with peripherals like HD space and motion detectors and expect people to buy them. Big deal. Until they upgrade the processor and graphics, it will always be the same damn thing that was released 4 years ago.

I have never figured out why do console makers charge so much per gigabyte, if those hard drive have the same internal mechanisms as those of PCs. I've heard some excuses like realiability, but I wouldn't pay so much more just for that...

TomSEA said:
I don't know how many more times they can "rebrand" the XBox and PS3 with peripherals like HD space and motion detectors and expect people to buy them. Big deal. Until they upgrade the processor and graphics, it will always be the same damn thing that was released 4 years ago.

That's what I also say.

Drop the consoles! PC Power!

...Until they upgrade the processor and graphics, it will always be the same damn thing that was released 4 years ago.

yea that's kind of the idea... else it would just be a whole new console.

the PS3 and X360 are plenty powerful for the current generation of games; developing and building brand new consoles every few years would be expensive for both the manufacturer and consumers, respectively. not to mention impractical considering that companies like Sony and Microsoft invest millions in marketing and advertising their current consoles. they are not really rebranding the console as much as they are changing features around and adding additional peripherals. you can put any size hard drive in either console so it's not like you need to buy a whole new unit to benefit.

as for me personally, i'm very content w/ my 120gb slim unit... easily my best gaming investment of 2009.

thatguyandrew92 said:
OH WOW 320GB?! I only have 1.5TB in my computer. rofl

1.5TB in a PS3 would be overkill. I have a 250GB slim with a dozen games installed, a dozen demos that I either haven't played yet or don't want to delete, a couple dozen videos from the PS Store (not movies or TV episodes mind you, just trailers) and a few hundred photos and songs and I've still got 170 GB of free space.

Now, I don't download movies or TV shows so 250GB will always be more than enough space for me but for those who want to download movies and such they will eventually need more but then they can just buy any laptop sized hard drive and slap it in.

yey I get a free upgrade from Best Buy oh wait it still can't play ps2 games and there aren't any new features..... Thanks I bought a ps3 slim that has less features than the original ps3. I never heard of an more expensive Down grade.

I will kick out the $100 to get my xbox 360 fixed.

hello ...

this is good news, a really great bundle, i just don't need a new PS3 & hope never for it's a pain to move all the things i have on it. but will certainly buy a MOVE pack soon.

OT:

I'm sick of always seeing the same not so mature or objective post from some (even those i wouldn't believe can go that way ... please tell me you are joking)

I agree totally with EXCellR8 - i believe that some should @ least consider that it's a business first & there's no lack of quality on console gaming for a machine so weak & old.

ONLY some 'perhaps ignorant' console fanboys would see their machine better than a PC, but the games we have on consoles are great enough for us not to envy pc games & yet don't forget that most console gamers are also PC gamers!

ONLY some 'perhaps ignorant' would see gaming on PC far superior than on consoles for they don't consider the fact that exclusivity exist & the games on each & every system are tailor made for their respective system & are just as much fun.

Quoting somehow Kevin Butler : "If you have a wonderful girlfriend & your pal has a wonderful girlfriend, who wins ..... everyone!"

BOT:

some were waiting for a new PS3 / MOVE bundle, @ that price it is a great value for those wanting to jump from the PS2 or the WII to PS3.
hard disk size doesn't make big difference, the 160Gb SKU is same price as the now vanished 120Gb & the 320Gb is in a bundle. some people uses more than 500 Gb laptop HDD on their PS3 with no issues & we can connect external drives to the console.

now let's go back to play !

cheers!

Back