Specs and pictures of Radeon HD 6970 slip out

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Pictures and specifications of the eagerly awaited Radeon HD 6970 have surfaced. On Friday, Chinese site Zol.com posted snapshots of AMD's upcoming graphics card, and while images of the reference product didn't reveal too much, Fudzilla published some hard numbers on Sunday courtesy of an anonymous insider.

According to Fudzilla's sources, the card packs 1536 stream processors, which is slightly less than the recently launched Radeon HD 6870's 1600 SPUs. ROPs are matched at 32, while the 6970 supposedly increases the number of texture address units from 80 to 96. It also doubles the 6870's memory to 2GB of GDDR5 VRAM.

Power and display connectors appear to be the same as the Radeon HD 6870: 6-pin and 8-pin PSU connectors, two DVI ports, two Mini DisplayPort connectors, and one HDMI output. Meanwhile, the Radeon HD 6970 TDP is said to be lower than Nvidia's forthcoming GTX 580, but Fudzilla didn't list any precise numbers.

Early benchmarks of the Cayman-based 6970 were leaked last month, suggesting the card to be 10% faster than Nvidia's GeForce GTX 480 and 20% faster than the Radeon HD 5870. The Radeon HD 6970 was expected to arrive later this month, but new rumors say fabrication issues at TSMC could push the card to Q1 2011.

Permalink to story.

More TSMC fabrication problems.. AMS should see what to do with tha freakin company, they dont get nothing in time, plus always putting defective CPUs and stuff on the streets!.

It could even be a conpirancy..

looks nice am sure 69xx will be a hit just like the 58xx if the price will be lower than gtx 5xx

Will those extra 16 rops be able to make a big difference against it's younger brother (6870)? I guess Amd will not compete against the gtx580 with Cayman, but with Antilles... And It is possible since AMD knows Nvidia can't make a dual-gpu card using the gtx580 die because of their monolithic designs and high TDP & power draw...

I've seen some photos of the GTX580 floating around too. Looks like these cards are going to be released at damn near the exact same time. This is gonna be a hell of a fight between the two! :D

10% faster than gtx 480 hmmm

the GTX 580 is claimed to be 20% faster than the GTX 480

These aren't hard numbers, but if we believe the "insiders" it looks like the GTX 580 will be faster, but we'll see

kg363 said:
10% faster than gtx 480 hmmm

the GTX 580 is claimed to be 20% faster than the GTX 480

These aren't hard numbers, but if we believe the "insiders" it looks like the GTX 580 will be faster, but we'll see

I have litterally been sitting on my hands waiting to see the war between the 580 and 6970...but with these numbers, it looks like the 580 has already won. However, I will reserve final judgement until I see the test comparisons. If these numbers are true, this will be a big disspointment for me. Not to mention that the TMSC need to pull their collective heads outta their posteriers.

well thats the most important part to me u know......all i want is a win from amd and we are cool.

dude that thing looks like it was beaten up or something but still the way ot looks is awesome, i wonder if it will be trulty worth the cost set for it.....ill probably wait for some reviews

love it...more like, " courtesy of an anonymous viral marketer" XD anyway this car is not for me, to much power in every single way!

dude that thing looks like it was beaten up or something
It's light playing over the protective film that's placed over the shroud- you can see where it's lifting quite plainly on the bottom left hand corner. I wouldn't worry about the retail cards looking "beaten up".
well thats the most important part to me u know......all i want is a win from amd and we are cool.
Why do you care?
You're going the AMD way win, lose or draw
I doubt you're in the market for an enthusiast graphics card in any case. Enthusiasts by their nature look for the best performance they can get allied with the feature set they want. Enthusiasts generally couldn't give a rats a*s who makes their hardware so long as it performs as advertised.

Let me guess...someone from nvidia touched you inappropriately as a child. Should we get the doll out and ask Dirk Meyer to sit in on the session?

And nVidia is supposed to have yet another card out soon, a successor to the 580. Its like they keep throwing cards out to try and win the market competition over from the other brand. Its a heated battle, I'm gonna sit back and let these expensive cards become cheap. Then skip 'em all together for a mid-range latest gen card for its GTX580 power with a low TDP, long life span and cool temperatures.

Will we be able to buy it when it is released, or will we have to wait a year and endure a $200 price hike?

I for one like the fact that these cards are going to duke it out but from my stand point two 6870's or two gtx 460's are still the way to go more performance for less money. Also at this time it seems that the current 5870's have dropped in price so if you want a great card grab the 5870 and wait for the 7k series to come out :)

klepto12 said:
I for one like the fact that these cards are going to duke it out but from my stand point two 6870's or two gtx 460's are still the way to go more performance for less money. Also at this time it seems that the current 5870's have dropped in price so if you want a great card grab the 5870 and wait for the 7k series to come out :)
I agree, new cards can come and old cards can go. I am interested in where the best mid-range performance lies.

Love the "leaked" photos. Always look the same. "oh, it's from Ati, it has a cooler, a fan and a pcb - very interessting" :)

only thing that worries me about all the highend cards is their increasing power consumption. Drawing almost 300watts is just plain wrong in my opinion.

10%? They're just screwing us over. It's almost 2011 and 10% is the best thing they could do? Surely they have better things to offer than to have people upgrade from the Nvidia's 480 to their 6970.

Oh wait... yes. They'll offer a 1% power consumption saving and a little noise reduction.

Christ. No wonder pc gamers are moving on to consoles.

Cueto_99 said:
Will those extra 16 rops be able to make a big difference against it's younger brother (6870)? I guess Amd will not compete against the gtx580 with Cayman, but with Antilles... And It is possible since AMD knows Nvidia can't make a dual-gpu card using the gtx580 die because of their monolithic designs and high TDP & power draw...
Probably not - I think you tend to see the tiers of improvement are less and less for more and more money with the higher end products.

I guess time will tell how this card performs against the new nVidia series...but I agree, 10% is the best improvement they can do? Or are the holding out on us?

There's an error in the article. It compares to the 5870's 1600 SPU's and 80 TAU's but says it's the 6870 (which has 1120 SPU's and 56 TAU's).

Back