TechSpot

Splitting up a bootable file

By StateGuy
Sep 8, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. Here's the situation:

We have PC's out in the field, this particular model does not have DVD's, CD players only. I've used Ghost to create an image (GHO and GHS files), but it totals up to almost 8 gigs (so I couldn't create a single bootable DVD anyway).

How can I split the files up among CDs so that I can boot from them (of need be) and it prompt me to go through all of the CDs?

If this is about as clear as mud, let me know and I'll try to de-muddy it a bit. :)
  2. Leeky

Leeky TS Evangelist Posts: 4,378   +98

PowerISO can split into multiple ISO's, which I assume is what you'd need: http://www.poweriso.com/faq.htm

Also, 8.5GB is possible with a DVD DL disc. I regularly use them. :)

You may well be better off purchasing an external USB DVD drive though, it simplifies the whole process, especially when one DVD DL disc can handle everything you need to achieve.
  3. StateGuy

StateGuy TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 16

Thanks, I'll give that a shot!

As to the portable burner, this is for work and the budget is tight :(
  4. StateGuy

StateGuy TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 16

So basically I'll need to put the Ghost files into a single ISO then PowerISO will split that up into whatever I need?
  5. Leeky

Leeky TS Evangelist Posts: 4,378   +98

It might be, but in a work environment sometimes the best thing is the right tool to do the job - It saves on much wasted time.

Have a go with PowerISO, but I have no idea if its free, or whether it costs, in which case you'd be wiser to just purchase an external dvd drive anyway. They're pretty cheap these days.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.