SQL backup error

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZenMatrix

Hello all.

I've updated to sql-server express 2008 on my xp professional sp3.I have norton ghost installed.I get an error in the event viewer under application.

FCB::RemoveAlternateStreamsByHandle(BackupSeek): Operating system error (null) occurred while creating or opening file 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10.LOCALTESTING\MSSQL\DATA\ReportServer$LOCALTESTINGTempDB.mdf'. Diagnose and correct the operating system error, and retry the operation.

I used to get a similar error from 2005 but it was once in awhile references a backup problem type 5, but this error happens about onc times in every ten minutes as far as i can see no real problems with the sql server its self so far but I don't use it that often and theres not an heavy load just use if for application testing.Any help would be apperciated i don't see too many posts on this and the ones there haven't been answered

also have vmware server installed which does has a vss writer... i'm thinking thats something but it happens when no vms are running

DBMS backups are usually taken using the facilities of that server, not using a
third party external tool.

WHY? The DBMS knows the relationship between the table(s) and the actual files
used to implement them
(and some dbms' don't even use files but r/w raw partition data).

Suggest you reference the HELP pages for your sql-server express 2008 and
look up the topic Backups

If you're using image backup, you can ignore the error message in the Windows Event Viewer. Essentially, your files are safe.

I advise all my customers who are HO to use image backup. Norton Ghost and Acronis True Image (preferred) are the most popular. Glad to see you're using one of them!

Best,
-- Andy

hmm; Image backup for high transaction dbms?

True, this one is only a testing system, but time and media consumption is a significant issue for DBMS backups.

Its better know I don't know why

i just ended up reloadinging but it wasn't backups i was taking it was some automatic process of sql server i'm looking into it more but i beleive it was isome sort of automated vss backup

Yes, advanced database systems use have their own backup systems. My point was simply that the image backup already does this. If you really want to solve the applications backup, check their web site for solutions.

Best,
-- Andy

yeah thanks I see what you mean I haven't looked into turned the automatic one off sql one as i wasn't familiar but i'm going to look into it more thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back