Startup Repair continuously comes up on Windows 7 Dell Inspiron laptop (virus?)

By sjuhatten10
Jan 29, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. A couple weeks ago I reuploaded Windows 7 to my Dell Inspiron laptop as I was unable to log in. Everytime I rebooted the computer it would send me to Startup Repair and then state "Startup Repair cannot repair this computer automatically." Once I uploaded the Windows 7 software the computer seemed to work fine temporarily.

Now just yesterday I started experiencing the same problem, which leads me to believe i have some sort of virus. I understand the initial 5 steps I have to perform as suggested by the sticky post on the forum. However, would you suggest that I try to re-install windows first or should i just try and complete as many steps as possible with the way my laptop is right now?

This is because I am having trouble even getting the computer into Safe Boot.

Thank you for your help. I really appreciate it.
  2. Broni

Broni Malware Annihilator Posts: 46,177   +251

I suggest you reinstall Windows since you don't have anything important there.
  3. Bobbye

Bobbye Helper on the Fringe Posts: 16,392   +35

I'm going to have you thread moved to a more appropriate forum. If they help stabilize the system and think you may also have malware, you will be referred back here.

Stay subscribed.
  4. sjuhatten10

sjuhatten10 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

I re-installed Windows 7 on my laptop. As I stated above, the last time I did this my laptop worked fine for a couple of days and then I experienced the same Startup Repair issues. I made sure I deleted all previous files.

Are there any initial tests I can run to ensure that my computer is running smoothly? The only additional program that I installed was Microsoft Office 2007.

Again thanks for your help.
  5. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,428   +281

Yes.

If you can get into Windows, run Seatools. Long Drive Self Test.

Also (doesn't require windows) make a boot cd or usb stick of memtest and run that overnight (longer if possible ( 7 passes is standard, but really if you don't fail after 1 you are ok unless you are chasing down very intermittent problems)).

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.