Tech Tip of the Week: How to Change the Logon Screen Wallpaper on Windows 7

Julio Franco

Staff member
Be it screensavers, desktop wallpapers or font type and sizes, visual customization at the OS level is usually important to all kinds of users. Recognizing this, Microsoft has made it easier than ever to apply and adjust individual themes with Windows 7. We looked at this last week showing you how to find hidden themes buried in your hard drive as well as sponsored ones available through Microsoft's online Personalization Gallery.

This week's tip: How to Change the Logon Screen Wallpaper on Windows 7
https://www.techspot.com/guides/224-change-logon-screen-windows7/

kaonis92 said:
That's nice, after a while the default logon screen becomes boring.
i know what you mean. But it's still far better than what XP or Vista had.
i don't know why microsoft did made it possible to change it without us having to change the registry or installing a third party program. They worked a lot to make win7 easier to customize and they did a great job. It should have been relatively easy to make it possible to change the background. Maybe in SP1?

What the hell guys? You didn't give me 10 minutes from the moment I posted the article, and now we have two comments... Make it three. :)

Tweaks.com is very easy to use, but is there anyway of bypassing the 245kb limit? I am only able to upload low resolution picture on my 1080p monitor, which doesn't look very good...

Thank you TechSpot! I really dislike the default Windows 7 logon screen. While I don't look at it all that much, it's still nice to be able to change it to something else. I agree though that Microsoft could have made this task easier for registry-phobic people...

slh28 said:
Tweaks.com is very easy to use, but is there anyway of bypassing the 245kb limit? I am only able to upload low resolution picture on my 1080p monitor, which doesn't look very good...
Try making it jpg and lowering the quality from 12 to 10 or 8 and use the optimized algorithm (don't have a photo editing program? try paint.net - it's free). It should make it small enough without loosing too much quality. Also try making the pic a bit bigger and use a few filters like smart blur to make it look better after resizing.

@Julio: a good article makes people want to comment.

damn. that's pretty sick. the default win7 themes/images/backgrounds are really nice, but not very exciting. Thanks for the article =DD

I manually changed a couple months ago the autobots logo in black and white, looks really good, though I wonder if you could change the user login from the middle of the screen.

In case you have way too many things installed on your computer to install more to just change backgrounds and things of the like, you can always google how to do it manually with 3 simple steps ;)

Still this is a very nice tip =)

my copy of windows 7 is the final RC, im not going to do to much in terms of customiazation as its not going to last much longer, but its nice to know that you can do this!

this is nice.. there are other utilities out there like tuneup utilities, which can do alot of things.. very useful post indeed, might change my login screen.. but not for now, am not quite bored yet with the default login screen of windows 7. :)

since I am the only person using the computer, I dont really bother about the login screen =P but it will be nice to be customizable.

Back