Tech Tip of the Week: How to Change the Logon Screen Wallpaper on Windows 7

By Julio Franco
Nov 27, 2009
Post New Reply
  1. Be it screensavers, desktop wallpapers or font type and sizes, visual customization at the OS level is usually important to all kinds of users. Recognizing this, Microsoft has made it easier than ever to apply and adjust individual themes with Windows 7. We looked at this last week showing you how to find hidden themes buried in your hard drive as well as sponsored ones available through Microsoft's online Personalization Gallery.

This week's tip: How to Change the Logon Screen Wallpaper on Windows 7
    http://www.techspot.com/guides/224-change-logon-screen-windows7/
  2. kaonis92

kaonis92 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 117

That's nice, after a while the default logon screen becomes boring.
  3. Puiu

Puiu TechSpot Booster Posts: 991   +82

i know what you mean. But it's still far better than what XP or Vista had.
    i don't know why microsoft did made it possible to change it without us having to change the registry or installing a third party program. They worked a lot to make win7 easier to customize and they did a great job. It should have been relatively easy to make it possible to change the background. Maybe in SP1?
  4. Razerblade

Razerblade Newcomer, in training Posts: 117

There is another 3rd party tool which can do this. TweakNow Powerpack 2009 has a option to change the logon screen background. It also has other tweaks you can do and it completely free. Well worth a look!
  5. Julio Franco

Julio Franco TechSpot Editor Topic Starter Posts: 6,443   +268

What the hell guys? You didn't give me 10 minutes from the moment I posted the article, and now we have two comments... Make it three. :)
    learninmypc likes this.
  6. slh28

slh28 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,925   +170

Tweaks.com is very easy to use, but is there anyway of bypassing the 245kb limit? I am only able to upload low resolution picture on my 1080p monitor, which doesn't look very good...
  7. fref

fref TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 153

Thank you TechSpot! I really dislike the default Windows 7 logon screen. While I don't look at it all that much, it's still nice to be able to change it to something else. I agree though that Microsoft could have made this task easier for registry-phobic people...
  8. Puiu

Puiu TechSpot Booster Posts: 991   +82

Try making it jpg and lowering the quality from 12 to 10 or 8 and use the optimized algorithm (don't have a photo editing program? try paint.net - it's free). It should make it small enough without loosing too much quality. Also try making the pic a bit bigger and use a few filters like smart blur to make it look better after resizing.

@Julio: a good article makes people want to comment.
  9. manintech

manintech Newcomer, in training Posts: 46

I'm not bored with the default one yet, maybe someday I will try this
  10. matchu

matchu TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 111

damn. that's pretty sick. the default win7 themes/images/backgrounds are really nice, but not very exciting. Thanks for the article =DD
  11. You can also change the Logon Screen Wallpaper with TuneUp Utilities
  12. Regenweald

Regenweald Newcomer, in training Posts: 143

Just built a machine for a friend using ultimate, this is a nice way to further customize the OS for a user :)
  13. Kibaruk

Kibaruk TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,119   +51

I manually changed a couple months ago the autobots logo in black and white, looks really good, though I wonder if you could change the user login from the middle of the screen.

In case you have way too many things installed on your computer to install more to just change backgrounds and things of the like, you can always google how to do it manually with 3 simple steps ;)

Still this is a very nice tip =)

14. Fada

Fada Newcomer, in training Posts: 34

my copy of windows 7 is the final RC, im not going to do to much in terms of customiazation as its not going to last much longer, but its nice to know that you can do this!
  15. jtickner1

jtickner1 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 663

Been using this little app for a while now, it's really good!
  16. yorro

yorro TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 242

Wonderful app. Techspot should do this more often.
  17. JMMD

JMMD TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,177

Always good to see cool info like this. I didn't know it could be changed.
  18. Serag

Serag TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 179

Awesome Tip, Thanks TS!
  19. Fragrant Coit

Fragrant Coit TechSpot Maniac Posts: 579

Groovy, the standard one is a bit, um, camp?!?

Thanks Julio & T.S
  20. harby

harby Newcomer, in training Posts: 36

Thanks for the tip!
  21. levar

levar Newcomer, in training Posts: 232

Great app, I've been using this for a while seen it at askvg :)
  22. buttus

buttus TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 187

This is awesome and thanks for the useful post. I was wondering how to change my login screen.
  23. deadmongol

deadmongol TechSpot Member

this is nice.. there are other utilities out there like tuneup utilities, which can do alot of things.. very useful post indeed, might change my login screen.. but not for now, am not quite bored yet with the default login screen of windows 7. :)
  24. timljh

timljh Newcomer, in training Posts: 33

since I am the only person using the computer, I dont really bother about the login screen =P but it will be nice to be customizable.
  25. ColdPreacher

ColdPreacher Newcomer, in training Posts: 65

Pretty sweet app. Got bored of the same login screen

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.