TechSpot goes mobile! Check it out at m.techspot.com

Julio Franco

Staff member

TechSpot's mobile site is making its debut today with a feature-packed and yet lightweight design that especially caters to users on the go. The mobile site integrates all our main sections including news, reviews, guides and the forum, with full commenting capabilities. TechSpot Mobile can be accessed at:

https://m.techspot.com

If you were already reading TechSpot from your smartphone, I can assure you, you will love the new TS Mobile. According to our internal stats, last month over 100,000 pages were served to mobile devices. Needless to be said, it was about time we came up with a solution that worked so much better for reading on handheld devices.

Our front-end developer, Mario Estrada was hard at work putting the site together over the past few weeks, and the end result is a beautifully crafted mobile-friendly website. In fact, an eventual next step will be to revamp certain elements on the desktop site inspired on what we built for the mobile version.

TechSpot Mobile is better suited for modern devices running Apple's iOS, Google's Android and (assumingly) Windows Phone 7 operating systems. We know for a fact it won't work well on Blackberrys or Nokia phones with old-gen browsers. As the first public version of the site, it's quite possible bugs will arise, we appreciate your feedback and help for getting those corrected.

Take the new TechSpot mobile site for a spin and let us know what you think.

Permalink to story.

Looks good guys, done a quick test in Android 2.2 webkit browser. Will try opera mobile and firefox ones later ;)

i really wish theres a techspot app for iphone. it would be much easier.

Great work, Mario!

@Guest - try adding it to the homescreen. It's not the same but it makes accessing TechSpot Mobile much more convenient.

@Jos: Yup I completely agree, its almost the same as an app. The first thing I have noticed is that its definitely optimized, it loads instantly on Wifi and 3G on my Motorola Droid 2 with the stock Android 2.2 browser.

@Mario Estrada: Mario, one professional to another, I would make the Title text for the tiles in the scroll box that appears on top (of the homepage) a little smaller. The "Featured Article" text is fine, but the title text is way bigger, at least in this browser, its atleast 4 pt or px bigger than "Featured Article" and currently only accommodates 4-5 words.

After i got my internet blocked at the office because of corporate policies, I bought an iPhone to stay in touch with my tech news, which In other words means Techspot! So thanks! This should ease up my life when navigating through the site!

wow! its properly optimised! on the 3G Orange network in the UK with 3 bars on my iPhon 3GS and it loads instantly using the built-in Safari Browser. and so far very impressed :)

Nice work but unable to view comments section in windows phone 7 HTC hd7. Comments button activates but doesn't go anywhere useful.

The "comments" button for each story on main page doesn't work as a link and the "load cimments" button in the story page refrhe page bur no comments appear. Aldo the load comments button is a strangely empty white with black border and twitter and Facebook buttons are the same. Formatting fail on wp7 :(

However that main site looks sweet in the browser so until its fixed no harm :D

Looks really cool.. I'm using a Blackberry 9700 on OS6 and works fine.. Really fast page loading on 3G and Wifi.. Nice work

Glad everyone is enjoying the mobile site, there was some hard work put into it. The site should work great on modern WebKit browsers, and there will definitely be some more work to support other browser engines. This is the first release so please report any errors in the forums, thanks!

@bl4cksh4d0w you should really try it and use it, it has almost the same functionality from the main site and it's very fast.

Slight bug on Blackberry Curve 8900 (which I expected after reading the article). Can't view comments, and can't log in. But just for reading purposes, this is SO much better! Thanks. I'd try it on Opera for blackberry, but I HATE Opera for blackberry...

As mentioned above, for those users requesting Apps, we might develop some down the line but if you currently add the site to your home screen, this will make accessing the site very fast and convenient. Not to mention the Mobile site in itself has some very app-like behaviors: various scrolling functions and loading more content on the fly.

At this point the biggest priority will be put in fixing the load comment buttons and login on browser engines that don't support certain WebKit features that we used for this first public version.

Thanks everyone for your feedback, and keep it coming :)

I have been accessing this since monday and works great on my ios device, very beautifully done and really well optimized :)

Back