The Best Computer Cases: Full Towers, Mid Towers, Small Form Factor, and More

I never had a PC case that was not modified after purchase since my first 486. Angle grinder, Dremel, spot welder and even paint used for some of them . Even the one I use now a Thermaltake C32 had some minor "surgery".
Removed air filters, swapped the RGB fans with Noctua's, fan grille changed for back ad top fans.
I'm considering removing the front mesh and leave only the plastic hexagons in front now that the kids are older. Also no pet in house.
Air filters? never. Air compressor to remove dust each month, yes.

It always amazes me that in our world of ever more power hungry GPUs that not a single case maker bothers to put side fans on their cases. I'd bet my old HAF 922 has better GPU temps then anything on this list.

It always amazes me that in our world of ever more power hungry GPUs that not a single case maker bothers to put side fans on their cases. I'd bet my old HAF 922 has better GPU temps then anything on this list.
You might be surprised. I replaced my old full tower behemoth (can't remember the brand/model) that had two 120 mm fans in the side (which I'd added myself), three 120 mm in the front, and a 200 mm at the top with a Corsair Crystal Series 680X case, with two 140 mm on the bottom, three 120 mm in the front, and a 280 mm closed-loop CPU cooler at the top. At the time I was using a Titan Xp, and the change in case/fans dropped core temperatures by around 10 degrees C.

With modern cases having a greater focus on proper airflow, rather than just blasting air into it and hoping for the best, and with graphics cards designed to draw air up and along the heatsink, there's less need to have any fans at the side of the case.

I do not understand really the mini atx case selection. What are the reasons?
I'm using Meshlicious and none of the mentioned cases are close to it in terms of thermals, accessibility, usability, footprint. It took my sapphire 6900xt se without any hassle, 280mm aio, was pleasure to build and use. Most of the above simply wont cut in.

Airflow in a case is more like fluid dynamics, adding two fans in front of the GPU will not make it better. A cylinder with axial fans at both ends in a push-pull config will give the best airflow. Any obstruction will perturbate the flow. If obstructions like a heatsink is placed at the right height and angle it will guide the flow. Look at servers, this is the best usage I have seen around.

As someone who has suffered through what a really badly designed case could do to your PC (never again NZXT) believe me in saying if you have room for a mid tower case, you have room for a full tower one and you want that instead (ofc read proper reviews first).

Only reason you never go for a spacious case is if you're building an ITX system.

Nice options, however none quite check off all my boxes as well as the Fractal Pop XL Air did and all at a really reasonable price too.

For me, my Lian Li II Mesh RGB is working really well, and its price was really reasonable. Ofc I changed the stock fans when I added my Noctua D15 chromax but out of the box, that case is really cool. After reading many reviews, Phanteks, Lian Li and Cosair are my favorite brands for PC cases.

Cooler master nr200 is still a favorite among ITX builders trying to save some money (often floating around the $100-$125 USD mark) and not wildly concerned about space efficiency, so I'm kinda surprised it's not on the list.

edit: I will say though, the Phanteks SHIFT XT is pretty nifty :eek:

Airflow in a case is more like fluid dynamics, adding two fans in front of the GPU will not make it better. A cylinder with axial fans at both ends in a push-pull config will give the best airflow. Any obstruction will perturbate the flow. If obstructions like a heatsink is placed at the right height and angle it will guide the flow. Look at servers, this is the best usage I have seen a
I never had a PC case that was not modified after purchase since my first 486. Angle grinder, Dremel, spot welder and even paint used for some of them . Even the one I use now a Thermaltake C32 had some minor "surgery".
Removed air filters, swapped the RGB fans with Noctua's, fan grille changed for back ad top fans.
I'm considering removing the front mesh and leave only the plastic hexagons in front now that the kids are older. Also no pet in house.
Air filters? never. Air compressor to remove dust each month, yes.
On what PSI level do you use for Air compressor. To clean Mobo, gpu, radiator, fans and ofcourse Case.

If you tune your fan profiles airflow caes can be whisper quiet. I have Phanteks P500A and I don't hear it at all as I don't let the fans run at full speed. For the fans I have running them at 70% max still gives fantastic cooling and low noise operation. In normal use they are probably running 30% or so and inaudible.

My case is about 10 years old, as is most of the components within it. I'll admit it looks like it has hamsters nesting in it. It has tonnes of fans, including a huge one on the side, but I've turned most of them off as I like silence. I did swap out the standard CPU cooler, for an old 3570K, for liquid cooling. I could just about hear the old fan but now I have to listen to the pump, the occasional gurgling and the larger fans on the liquid cooler. I'd pull it all out but couldn't be bothered. The case is large enough to take any of these new GPU's but I can't justify the cost and, without a new GPU, there's no point in upgrading the CPU/motherboard/RAM/PSU etc. I just read these articles to keep up to date and patiently wait for prices to come down.

Personally, I can't say I'm thrilled about all the glass in these "best" selections. I don't bring my PCs anywhere such as to a "lan party" or other such gathering, and I don't need to look inside to know what is in it, nor have I ever been one to show off what my PC has in it to anyone. I also prefer nothing that has any ring of bling to it like RGB or some such. I don't GAF about the bling elements. My PC is my PC and I don't derive my value from what my PC has in it, or what you can see through the sides, or how beautiful the lighting is. Come on! :rolleyes:

For me, too, I would have like to have seen a HTPC case among the selections, as I am planning on a rebuild of my HTPC sometime in the next year.

I made a build for my wife with the Fractal Design Define 7, and as of when I built it, about two years ago, that case was probably the best I have ever used in a build, however, as you might have guessed, the side panel was not glass.

Other than the Define 7 (without the glass side panel), none of these cases suit my liking.

Last edited:
I love the Fractal Design Meshify S2 mid-tower (non-glass ofc). Roomy and well-designed inside, with many case fan mounts; top, front and bottom filters (!); and extremely well finished. A pleasure to work with. Huge airflow capability. Worth more than whatever I paid for it; will serve for many years. I highly recommend this, and suppose that other Fractal Design cases will at least share the same standards of fit and finish.

Last edited:
I have the white Corsair 7000D/X (bought the X replaced the tempered glass top & front panels with the air flow ones), it's a great case. Its very easy to build in, very spacious inside, easy to cable manage, removable mounting brackets front, top and side for fans/radiators. Now the downsides, its heavy! Unless your motherboard has 2 19pin front panel USB ports you'll need an add in card, as yiull only have access to 2 USB 3.x and the single USB-C. Its a great case for me and a big upgrade over my gen 1 Phanteks Enthoo Luxe.

Glass panel is convenient for when you need to quickly check the inside of your PC for dust or errors (some mobo has led indicators for what kind of errors) even if you don't go for RGB blink.

The Define 7 case has very easy to remove side panels - no screws and no tools required. Basically both side panels just slide off with a unique latching mechanism.

You might be surprised. I replaced my old full tower behemoth (can't remember the brand/model) that had two 120 mm fans in the side (which I'd added myself), three 120 mm in the front, and a 200 mm at the top with a Corsair Crystal Series 680X case, with two 140 mm on the bottom, three 120 mm in the front, and a 280 mm closed-loop CPU cooler at the top. At the time I was using a Titan Xp, and the change in case/fans dropped core temperatures by around 10 degrees C.

With modern cases having a greater focus on proper airflow, rather than just blasting air into it and hoping for the best, and with graphics cards designed to draw air up and along the heatsink, there's less need to have any fans at the side of the case.
Maybe GN will revisit their case testing some day, before the website revamp they showed the side fan HAF series was 10-15C ahead of anything else in GPU temps.

On what PSI level do you use for Air compressor. To clean Mobo, gpu, radiator, fans and ofcourse Case.
I use full line pressure from my "Husty" horizontal (alleged) 5 HP 20 gallon tank. Cutoff is at 125 psi, trigger on about 80 psi. I haven't broken anything yet. (The pressure drops to about 110-115 as soon as you trigger the blowgun).

I should mention I have four cats, and use clay, clumping litter, which makes sticky and copious dust..

If you're twitchy about it, and under normal conditions, start at about 60 psi., and see how you fare.

I try not to blow directly into the back of any HDDs, and snub fans with my fingers to avoid revving them up with the air stream.

Aren't home air compressors great? I think every home should have one, and have it before the Mrs. gets her choice of decor. (I can say that, I live alone, and prioritize things on my own terms).

BTW, IMO those cans of compressed air are the biggest ripoff since, "free ice in the winter".

Last edited:
Back