The Dead Space remake's PC system requirements are fairly demanding

midian182

Staff member
Why it matters: Are you excited about playing the upcoming remake of horror classic Dead Space on your PC in January? If you're using aging hardware and want to see the game in all its gore-filled glory, now might be a good time to upgrade, as the system requirements are pretty demanding.

The Dead Space remake rebuilds the game from the ground up, offering improved visual fidelity thanks to the switch from the RenderWare engine to the newer Frostbite engine. Limb dismemberment of the Necromorphs, a major element in the previous games, has also been overhauled to appear more realistic.

The Dead Space remake's Steam page has now been updated with the minimum and recommended PC specs. It's good news if you're happy to stick with the former: minimum specs ask for only an AMD Ryzen 5 2600X or Intel Core i5 8600 CPU combined with an RX 5700 or GTX 1070 graphics card. It also requires a pretty hefty but increasingly standard 50GB of storage space and 16GB of RAM rather than the 8GB we often see listed as a minimum requirement.

As expected, the recommended specs up the hardware quite a bit. CPU-wise, you need at least a Ryzen 5 5600X or a Core i5 11600K. As for the graphics cards, Dead Space asks for at least a Radeon RX 6700 XT or an RTX 2070. Memory and storage requirements remain the same.

Those recommended specs are pretty high. A quick look at the latest Steam survey shows the most popular card remains the GTX 1060, followed by the GTX 1650—both less powerful than Dead Space's minimum GPU requirement. The RTX 2060 and GTX 1050 Ti are the third and fourth most popular cards, respectively, among Steam users. Only when we reach the fifth and sixth position (RTX 3060/laptop variant) do we satisfy the game's recommended graphics card.

There's no mention of what resolutions/frame rates each set of specs will allow, those will likely come later, but it could be that the 'recommended' list aims for 1080p@60fps.

Dead Space lands on PC ($60), PlayStation 5 ($70), and Xbox Series X|S ($70) on January 27.

Permalink to story.

The recommended cpu seems really high imo. GPU is hard to tell unless they list a resolution but seems like 1440p specs to me. Should be anyway.....

It's funny how the game compares itself to "beefy" hardware that already exists, in 2000-2004 games compared themselfs to hardware that did not exist, would not exist for a cuple years after the games are out, just remember what it was like during the crysis and doom 3 days ... but then again hardwares didden't costed like today

Everything new, even if it's a remaster will be played from now on the newest hardware because Nvidia, AMD and Intel said so. And just to be sure, every game will render as many complex random code in the background as it needs to prop up requirements. That or sloppy coding. They played with this idea in the past, but now I see it's mandatory. There was a lot of money in the gaming industry and soon enough everybody got greedy. Keep it up, dumba$$es and also keep increasing hardware prices until you run it into the ground.

Everything new, even if it's a remaster will be played from now on the newest hardware because Nvidia, AMD and Intel said so. And just to be sure, every game will render as many complex random code in the background as it needs to prop up requirements. That or sloppy coding. They played with this idea in the past, but now I see it's mandatory. There was a lot of money in the gaming industry and soon enough everybody got greedy. Keep it up, dumba$$es and also keep increasing hardware prices until you run it into the ground.
The true spirit of fun scrappy gaming is and has been for a while with indie developers. You don't see insane system requirements from indie devs yet their games are often more fun and always less scammy than AAAss studios like Ubisoft and EA.

Interesting. The AMD requirements are wayyyyyyyyy higher than the Nvidia ones. The 5700 is closer to a 1080 Ti than a 1070...

Interesting. The AMD requirements are wayyyyyyyyy higher than the Nvidia ones. The 5700 is closer to a 1080 Ti than a 1070...
I think you are thinking of the 5700 XT which is close the 1080 Ti, the 5700 is just ahead of the 1080, which still makes it much faster than a 1070 though. But its 22% behind the 1080 Ti.

This was a game that sat real well with me. It wasn't too hard, it startled me and gave me creeps. The weapons were tough for me to figure but I got it done. Dead Space 3 was panned but I liked that as well but couldn't finish because I kept getting killed in the asteroid field or whatever it was. I would play the remake if I got it on disk. Who replayed the beginning just to look at that chicks rack? I did

I really like how some of these charts give you resolution and framerate targets now. Minimum and recommended do not tell you much. Do you need a 6700 XT to play this game at 1080p 60fps? I would highly doubt it, but that's usually what "recommended" means if there are no other clarifications.

I really like how some of these charts give you resolution and framerate targets now. Minimum and recommended do not tell you much. Do you need a 6700 XT to play this game at 1080p 60fps? I would highly doubt it, but that's usually what "recommended" means if there are no other clarifications.
I agree. A 6700xt should be able to hit 1440p @60 fps imo. The game isn't that graphicly mind blowing from what I see.

Given that we are no longer able to trust anyone in tech anymore, I am surprised that it doesnt read like this:

CPUs:
Intel: recommended Celeron.
AMD: required Threadripper PRO 5995WX

GPUs:
Nvidia: gtx 1650 for 4K@120hz with RT max quality.
AMD: RX 6950XT for 1080@ 30fps without RT.

Last edited by a moderator:
You reference the Steam survey, but alot of those statistics are from laptop. Most desktops are equipped with a 3060 class video card.

you would be surprised how inaccurate the requirements mentioned for games from the dev. From 30 years of gaming..you quickly find out that those min and recommended requirements dont mean anything at all-

Back