The RTX 4080 could launch with up to 40% less stock than the RTX 4090

midian182

Staff member
Rumor mill: We're just over one week away from the RTX 4080 launch. But those waiting in anticipation for November 16 to arrive might want to prepare for disappointment as the card is rumored to land with lower stock levels than the RTX 4090.

As predicted, the high price of the $1,600 (MSRP) RTX 4090 hasn't stopped it from being sold out across pretty much all retail sites and selling on eBay at inflated prices. The RTX 4080 16GB has a cheaper $1,199 MSRP (you'll pay more in Europe), so it's expected to experience higher demand, but YouTube channel Moore's Law is Dead says that anonymous retailers have confirmed stock levels will be 20-40% lower than the RTX 4090 on day one. As usual, take all this with the usual dose of salt.

MLID also claims that, according to the sources, retailers will receive fewer resupplies of the RTX 4080 in the fourth quarter of the year compared to the RTX 4090.

It's speculated that the primary reason behind these lower stock levels is that Nvidia wants to push more people toward its Ampere line this holiday season.

With their falling prices and good availability, the last-gen RTX 3000 series has been selling well recently. The latest Steam survey shows that the RTX 3060 gained more new users than any other card last month, while the RTX 3060 Ti, RTX 3070, 3070 Ti, and 3080 were all top-ten performers. Nvidia still has plenty of Ampere stock left, so it might not want to offer too many people the option of paying a little more for an RTX 4080.

The other issue behind the lower stock levels is related to the 12GB version of the card. Nvidia was initially set to launch the RTX 4080 16GB and $900 RTX 4080 12GB together on November 16. Team green decided to "unlaunch" the cheaper card because it "wasn't named right," though the outcry over paying $400 more than the RTX 3070's launch price for what is essentially a next-gen version of the same card probably had more to do with it. The decision to cancel the 12GB version so close to launch means fewer RTX 4080 cards will be available.

It'll be interesting to see how AMD's recently announced Radeon RX 7000 cards impact Lovelace's sales. The Radeon RX 7900 XTX will cost $999 when it launches on December 13, $200 cheaper than the RTX 4080. AMD says the two cards are competitors, admitting it isn't trying to go up against the much more expensive RTX 4090.

Permalink to story.

Only makes sense for Nvidia. This is happening for one of two reasons:

1) They can't compete with the lower priced 79xx cards from AMD, so they don't want to waste stock/time/money on this venture

2) They think they can force people into buying the way overpriced 4090 by limiting the amount of 4080s.

I'm hoping AMD's 7900s just crush the 4080 card(s). I know they're not designed to compete at the very top with the 4090, but if they can walk all over Nvidia's 4080, that would be amazing.

The 4080 seems to just have bad Karma surrounding it.

Even Nvidia fanboys on the usual forum sites are tearing it new one for the appalling (non) value it represents to their current 3070/80 cards.

Literally no one thinks its worth the $1200 price tag and hardly any of them are saying they're going to get one.

..and the 4090 despite its ludicrous price, is at least seen to be a worthy upgrade for 3090 owners.

1) They can't compete with the lower priced 79xx cards from AMD, so they don't want to waste stock/time/money on this venture

2) They think they can force people into buying the way overpriced 4090 by limiting the amount of 4080s.

I'm hoping AMD's 7900s just crush the 4080 card(s). I know they're not designed to compete at the very top with the 4090, but if they can walk all over Nvidia's 4080, that would be amazing.

Nvidia can't make the 2-3 Billion its gaming division needs in revenue from the 4090 alone. It was leaked that they had sold 100K units of the 4090 chips. Remember AIBs build these cards and a significant portion of the revenue goes to them. We don't know what Nvidia sells them the AD102 chips for, but we can assume that of the $160M these cards have brought in, Nvidia's portion of that is probably well under 50%, but let's just assume that it is 50%, to have 2B in revenue Nvidia would have to sell 2.5M units of AD102 just in the gaming division. That's not going to happen. It's the 60 and 70 series cards that really bring in those kinds of profits. Steam surveys suggest that the 3060, 3070, and 3080 have all greatly outsold the 3080 Ti, 3090, and certainly the 3090Ti. Nvidia might make more profit on high end cards, but they don't sell enough of them for it to keep them afloat. AMD's pricing is going to be a problem for Nvidia potentially, but then again, AMD's mid-range cards right now have better price to performance than Nvidia, but Nvidia still has a commanding lead in terms of sales. So, we'll have to wait and see. I would like to see AMD put the screws to Nvidia and humble them a bit too. However, Nvidia still has a lot of options.

One thing I think is certain though is that Nvidia will have to lower the price of the 4080 next year to remain competitive. That will bring down the entire Ampere line up as well, what remains of it. But that was always going to happen. The $1200 price tag was never meant to remain. As everyone has pointed out, it is scaled with performance of Ampere. Nvidia will lower the price of the 4080 and they will release the 4080 Ti in that pricing slot to compete with the 7900 XTX. I think you'll also see the 4070 early next year. It's going to get interesting. I'm definitely waiting until the dust settles to see where things stand as far as if I upgrade this gen or wait until next gen. I have a 3080 and I 'm good with waiting, but because I got the 3080 near launch at MSRP and sold the GPU I replaced later, I basically got the 3080 for free (and still made $100) because of the GPU shortage, so I don't feel like I'm out anything if I upgrade this gen.

Last edited:
"As usual, take all this with the usual dose of salt."

The usual being the whole salt shaker when it's an MLID rumour from an anonymous source...

Right?
I'd rather see WCCF rumors over MLID.
Both love their rumors, wccf at least have a better track record.
MLID pretty much just makes sh*t up and then deletes the video when he's wrong.

3) Old 3000 gen gpus are still on the shelves and waiting.

Last edited:
The RTX 4080 16GB has a cheaper $1,199 MSRP"

Cheap?? LMAO!!

nGreedia throws a few hundred 4090s and 4080s to the rabid crowd and scalpers, and then their PR shills claim the 4xxx series are selling so well that they sold out very quickly!!

We don't know what Nvidia sells them the AD102 chips for, but we can assume that of the $160M these cards have brought in, Nvidia's portion of that is probably well under 50%, but let's just assume that it is 50%, to have 2B in revenue Nvidia would have to sell 2.5M units of AD102 just in the gaming division.
It's been an odd launch with the AD102. If one goes back to the GA102, that chip was initially launched in four products: the A6000, the A40, the RTX 3090, and the RTX 3080 (in timeline order). The workstation cards didn't go out for sale, though, until after the consumer models.

The AD102's been launched to just one product: the RTX 4090. That's it. Sure the AD103 is just around the corner, but there doesn't seem to be much difference with the one too (I.e. just the RTX 4080).

While Nvidia can afford to sustain a big drop in revenue for a while (they're not exactly short on cash), this whole new generation of GPUs from them has been decidedly odd.

Right?
I'd rather see WCCF rumors over MLID.
Both love their rumors, wccf at least have a better track record.
MLID pretty much just makes sh*t up and then deletes the video when he's wrong.

Exactly. MLID also said that AMD RX6000 cards would be in plentiful supply upon launch - which turned out to be completely wrong.

So NGreedia will only have 50k 4080's available after launch. Pitiful. They simply want everyone to buy the left over 3xxx series at an inflated price.

Of course, from a business stand point, would you prefer to sell an item for $2 with known production cost, or sell the same chip with the same costs for $20? That's what's happening with Hopper that AFIK is using the 4090 chip.

The usual being the whole salt shaker when it's an MLID rumour from an anonymous source...
To be fair, there's a major difference between "rumors" and the carefully solicited and compared leaks analyzed by someone like MLID. And of course his sources are anonymous - they're insider employees!

Last edited:
The 4080 16GB should have not started for price greater than $799. TBH, it is really an equivalent of RTX 4070ti with 4080 badge plastered on it if you go by bus width.

Sometimes I feel Nvidia and AMD should be investigated for price fixing considering how smoothly AMD’s lineup will fill up $999 and below price points where Nvidia doesn’t have any latest-gen card yet.

Nvidia even if they make profits, it’s at a cost of “loss of face”, seen as greedy scumbag corporation, PR nightmare, unethical business tactics and what not. All this accumulated ill-will will only take them little ahead in short term. But in long term, they might burn out due to their dumb pricing.

Last edited:

The sad thing is, all reviews of the new 7900's will be the same "This GPU sucks because of RT, buy nvidia yo!".

See how ALL media ignored and trashed both the 6900 and the 6950 XT rasterization prowess because they manipulated everyone towards the stupid RT hype.

The 4080 16GB should have not started for price greater than $799. TBH, it is really an equivalent of RTX 4070ti with 4080 badge plastered on it if you go by bus width.

Sometimes I feel Nvidia and AMD should be investigated for price fixing considering how smoothly AMD’s lineup will fill up $999 and below price points where Nvidia doesn’t have any latest-gen card yet.

Nvidia even if they make profits, it’s at a cost of “loss of face”, seen as greedy scumbag corporation, PR nightmare, unethical business tactics and what not. All this accumulated ill-will will only take them little ahead in short term. But in long term, they might burn out due to their dumb pricing.
They wont burn because gaming is a big thing and there is a few million potential customers. All what we can do is to chose the best performance/price ratio pc components. Thats all. I have been watching many presentations by Intel,AMD or Nvidia and many others but it is the AMD ones are really sick and disgusting. The moments when they announce something and wait for applause/cheer up like we were some kind of stupid sheeps who waits for a savoir. Really pathetic :)

Last edited:
All manner of price fixing is the new normal. Don't expect lower prices any time soon, but fully expect 30 series prices to go right back up when 40 series are unavailable or price consumers out.

Awesome!

Now I can spend $1200 to play some benchmarks at about 50% faster than a 3080 10GB! I'm sold Nvidia! I'm sold!

I'm going to sit outside of Micro Center right now and wait for this overpriced piece of sh!t. I mean, awesomely priced and well thought of gaming hardware that I can't live without.

Awesome!

Now I can spend $1200 to play some benchmarks at about 50% faster than a 3080 10GB! I'm sold Nvidia! I'm sold!

I'm going to sit outside of Micro Center right now and wait for this overpriced piece of sh!t. I mean, awesomely priced and well thought of gaming hardware that I can't live without.
15 - 20% improvement over the RTX 3090 Ti.

Last edited:
What? There will be fewer overpriced video cards? Whatever will the stupid masses do?!

Oh well, I guess that it's one way to get people to smarten up! :laughing:

What? There will be fewer overpriced video cards? Whatever will the stupid masses do?!

Oh well, I guess that it's one way to get people to smarten up! :laughing:
There's no way for the masses to "smarten up" the trend is "Idiocracy" reloaded.
Then the Rock will be president and Shyla Stylez vice president.

Back