Trojan-backdoor-stinkbreath. Cannot remove for the life of me

Status
Not open for further replies.
This thing is really making me angry. Things ive tried so far...

Malwarebytes (normal and safe): Found alot at first, now finds nothing.
Super anti-spyware (normal and safe) :Found alot at first, now finds nothing.
F-Prot anti-virus: found trojan Akril which i had trouble with. Now finds nothing.
Eset online scanner: found some stuff, now finds nothing.
Registry Mechanic: repaired over 400 registry issues.
Spybot S&D: found more stuff, now shows clean.

Webroot Spysweeper and Trend Micro AV were already on the system but expired so i uninstalled them. They both had items in the quarantine, which i emptied as well.

Trojan-backdoor-stinkbreath still persists, however. Im fixing this PC for a friend and this is really annoying me since i dont want to reformat. Im considering doing an overlay/OS repair but im not sure that'll work since sfc /scannow came up with no windows files errors.

HJT log is attached. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you. Also, ive turned off system restore points as well and done scans after that to no avail. Also, AVG free is in process of scanning right now as well.

AVG 8 may not be powerful enough.
Try Avast or Avira, along with SuperAntiSpyware and MalwareBytes,
then immediately run Avira or Avast, and MalwareBytes again in SAFE MODE
Then if still not removed, refer to the 8 steps elsewhere on TechSpot, and follow those instructions.

Some of the big AV companies offer manual instructions for removing sticky virus/spyware. Failing that, try a Google search. Often someone else has encountered this problem and may have a solution.

-- Andy

ive looked through google, its how i got here actually. The big companies...all i could find was instructions to prepare for removal by turning off system Restore then updating their scanner software and running it. Nothing solid so far.

Are you still experiencing symptoms? Is your computer still having problems? Or is it that it keeps showing up in the scans and can't be removed? If it's the latter and there are no performance symptoms, it's just a nuisance. If it's the former, one of the other TechSpot experts can help with the HijackThis log on how to remove it.

-- Andy

well its not impacting performance, no. Maybe a trace of it is left somewhere but if its a downloader then leaving the PC alone and calling it done now, problems would just return later i would assume. The scanner im using that keeps detecting it is a diagnostic-only tool from Webroot called System Analyzer.

Avira in normal caught nothing. I will try it in safe next.

well its not impacting performance, no. Maybe a trace of it is left somewhere but if its a downloader then leaving the PC alone and calling it done now, problems would just return later i would assume.

Helgaiden, you've probably nailed it. What's going on is there's an insignificant peice or two left over that is sticky to remove. DOn't worry about it. The guts of the virus/spyware is gone so it can't run.

80% of my business is removing spyware and virus. You don't need to remove every single object of a spyware or virus program. Once the essential components are removed, it can't run and that's it. So what is there a left over folder or registry entry or cookie. That's can't disable your computer or impact performance.

If you're really insistant on remoiving every piece, just locate it in the logs of the anti-virus/anti-spyware utility and remove it manually. I personally and professionally wouldn't bother.

-- Andy

Alright well thanks for the tip. I will keep trying (System Analyzer is just a visual thing, doesnt leave any good logs that i know of but i'll double check) and when all is said and done, ill call it quits. Thanks again :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back