Trojan horse Agent_r.CX in zonelabs/lib

By billyellis
Oct 14, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OK, here's a new one for me. When I booted my laptop this morning, AVGFree detected 5 instances on startup of "Trojan horse Agent_r.CX" in ZoneAlarm's library folder (c:/windows/system32/zonelabs/lib), and ZA did not startup and will not start manually either, so the 5 'infections' that are now in the virus vault are obviously in files critical to the program's function:

zui.zip.dll
    zpy.zip.dll
    licenseui.zip.dll
    zlsvc.zip.dll
    ConfigWizard.zip.dll

Does this sound like a real problem, or maybe just an incompatibility that showed up in the latest updates of one of the two programs?
  2. billyellis

billyellis TechSpot Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 180

ZA forum suggests a user reporting the same problem to go here:

http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/board/message?board.id=security&message.id=20040

The recommendation is to add that ZA directory to the list of exclusions. My question is...doesn't that merely create a safe zone for virus writers to send malware to live with no fear of detection??

Any comments, confirmations, or horror stories would be appreciated...
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.