Trusted TechSpot download to be virus free... I was wrong

By Rayss523
Feb 8, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Downloaded Daemon tools lite and instantly got some malware attempts and the Delta Search Engine hijacker actually got in. Used to trust this site after CNET went were it did.... No longer
  2. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,803   +1,433

If you went to the authors home to download, you would only have the author to blame.
  3. Matthew

Matthew TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,049   +84 Staff Member

I don't think it's fair to blame us as a download mirror for the bloatware that companies choose to bundle with their software. Many (most?) freeware and shareware programs come with some kind of nonsense you either have to uncheck or uninstall. It's ultimately your responsibility to know what you're getting into. That said, I'll pass this along to the folks who manage our download section to either have the software removed or to at least add a warning on the page. It seems like this is a new issue judging by the recent complaints on the company's Facebook page, so thanks for bringing it to our attention.
    JC713 and cliffordcooley like this.
  4. Erik

Erik TechSpot Staff Posts: 290   +10 Staff Member

Daemon tools lite is no longer on TechSpot.
  5. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,336   +293

The O.P. does make a point IMO - - we should not reference downloads that have not been scanned.
    Yes, I see this one is no longer present, but it's the process & procedures that ought to be reviewed :)
  6. Matthew

Erik feeds most of the new downloads through VirusTotal, though not every update, and we tend to stick with programs that have a good reputation. In other words, we don't just blindly list software and wish users the best of luck haha.
  7. jobeard

Great - - suggest we post a CAVEAT to that effect on the DL page :)
  8. Erik

Erik TechSpot Staff Posts: 290   +10 Staff Member

Jo I'm putting the page back up WITHOUT the download link and a note in the description warning users.
  9. jobeard

Hmm; guess I'm senile, blind or both - - don't see it on either the Download Index (where I would have expected such a caveat) or the tool specific
  10. Matthew

11. jobeard

Thanks. I was thinking of a generalized Caveat Emptor on the Download Index, eg:

12. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,526   +856

The truth of the matter is, Daemon Lite is, was, and always has been a favorite, go to CD emulator for cracked games...If that isn't TS's intention, then I apologize. However, no matter where your choice of download location is for this program, you're likely to get more of a jackpot than even what is packaged with it by the publisher, because of the expected clientele's likely use for the program. In short, to download Daaemon Lite, is to have been profiled beforehand.

If I remember correctly, the freeware Daemon Tools is ad supported, EVEN BY ITS PUBLISHER...! So, that kind of makes finding a clean copy, all but impossible.

TechSpot doesn't package adware with any software.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.