Jay Pfoutz Malware Helper Posts: 4,286   +49

3. drensmith

drensmith Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 86

Thanx,,ill try
  4. learninmypc

learninmypc TechSpot Guru Posts: 4,553   +184

5. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,061   +1,179

Sometimes Windows will catch a glitch and not release the lockout on a file. The lockout is usually for files that are in use to prevent other programs from changing them while they are in use. When the glitch occurs, a simple reboot sometimes corrects the glitch.
    For the record, are you trying to remove a file or un-install an application?
    fimbles and DragonMaster Jay like this.
  6. drensmith

Uninstall a file,,,its whats left of "iminent". its either spyware or something malecious. suprspyware, amd anvi smart defender couldent detect it.
  7. Jay Pfoutz

Jay Pfoutz Malware Helper Posts: 4,286   +49

8. Darth Shiv

Darth Shiv TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,086   +154

Also Process Explorer's "Find Handle" feature can tell you what process is locking the file. You can kill the process and delete the file then...
  9. drensmith

I am not running I.e., but ill look for it,,thanks,,,how do I stop those annoying I think apps. that show up when you first put comp on?
  10. misor

misor TechSpot Addict Posts: 748   +111

Try to post some screen shots of your problem.

the "apps" may be malware which needs to be investigated further or just registry remnants which can immediately be cleaned by manually deleting some registry entries or using third-part tools like the free ccleaner tool.

also, you can try to login in SAFE MODE, then uninstall/delete your undesired file/program.
  11. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,061   +1,179

If you are asking about stopping an app from loading into memory when the PC starts, you can use "msconfig" to disable startup entries. Or you can use CCleaner to remove the startup entries completely.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.