Twitter rolls out photo sharing, improved search

Emil

Staff

Twitter has started to roll out its own photo sharing feature and will continue to do so over the next several weeks. The new feature lets you upload a photo, attach it to your tweet directly from Twitter.com or the company's official mobile apps, and use a hashtag to keep track of it. For those with feature phones, the company is working with mobile carriers around the world to let you send photos to Twitter via a text message. Twitter has partnered with Photobucket to host the photos; if Twitpic was on the stock market, its value would have just plummeted.

Twitter has also started pushing out a new version of search for the site. The company claims search now delivers more relevant tweets when you search for something or click on a trending topic, and also shows you related photos and videos directly on the results page. There's even a Firefox with Twitter, that lets you type a #hashtag or @username directly into the address bar to go right to a search results page.

"We're really excited about our new search and photos experiences and can't wait for you to try them," a Twitter spokesperson said in a statement. "We believe both make a huge difference in making the world feel even smaller."

Twitter has been pushing hard recently, both in acquisitions and significant updates. In April 2010, Twitter bought the application developer Atebits, and pushed out the company's software as the official Twitter client for the iPhone, iPad, and Mac. Last month, Twitter acquired TweetDeck for tens of millions, an Adobe AIR desktop application for Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Google Buzz, Foursquare, and MySpace, as well as AdGrok, an Internet advertising startup.

Three months ago, the company announced it had improved search by making it three times faster and also launched a new homepage. Two months ago, the company started to roll out a new mobile website. Last month, it unveiled the Follow button, which lets you instantly follow Twitter accounts directly from the websites you visit.

I do not have Twitter for personal use, but I do use it for work. You can follow @TechSpot for news from the site or follow me directly: @EmilProtalinski.

Permalink to story.

Back