Two Years Later, Who Won? Ryzen 5 1600 vs. Core i5-7600K

Was more curious about the i7 7700k vs R7 1700, because by the time R5 1600 launched it was pretty much obvious that the 4 core i5s were not the best option for gaming anymore, while the real debate was the 7700k vs 1700 with most high refresh gamers going for the Intel CPU.

Very nice article anyway

Nice bench. It basically depends whether the game knows how to use multiple cores or not. Fortunately, more and more of them do. But... the industry should really switch to germanium. Silicon has hit the wall. It can't go much faster. It belongs to museum. We should be using germanium.

Great article, showing how the newest games are finally using more than 4 cores.

I guess this article shows why I still haven't had to replace my super old 5+ year old Intel i7-4930k (6 core, 12 thread) in my gaming rig.

What a shitty article just to keep the talk about the poorly end-user adopted ryzen which failed to beat on what it was promising to beat. it failed then and every day since then and even if you do another article after 3 years it will still be the same

What a shitty article just to keep the talk about the poorly end-user adopted ryzen which failed to beat on what it was promising to beat. it failed then and every day since then and even if you do another article after 3 years it will still be the same
Are you sure that ryzen is poorly end-user adopted? It may be for OEM builds, but is gaining market share. For DIY, though, on Amazon, Ryzen takes the top 4 spots. https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Computers-Accessories-Computer-CPU-Processors/zgbs/pc/229189

I think I found the INTEL fanboy or INTEL shareholder.

Fanboy, doesn't sound smart enough to be a shareholder.

Nice article @Steve.

I was a 1st gen early adopter and built an R5 1600 system with 2400MHz DDR4 RAM because of the early BIOS issues with faster RAM.

2 years down the line and the system continues to deliver as promised. However, I think it would be false economy for someone in my circumstances (B350 chipset) to just swap out the CPU, even though it's possible. Spending money on faster RAM to make the most of the new CPU might offset the value benefits. What do others think?

Same case stand valid for Zen 2 vs 9000 series from Intel. In 2 years time, the 12C/24T from AMD will spank the 9900K in new titles.

At first I was wondering if Techspot copied HWUnboxed, vice-versa, or if it was all a grand coincidence I see this comparison within days of each other...

... then I remembered...

Finkle is Einhorn

Nice article @Steve.

I was a 1st gen early adopter and built an R5 1600 system with 2400MHz DDR4 RAM because of the early BIOS issues with faster RAM.

2 years down the line and the system continues to deliver as promised. However, I think it would be false economy for someone in my circumstances (B350 chipset) to just swap out the CPU, even though it's possible. Spending money on faster RAM to make the most of the new CPU might offset the value benefits. What do others think?
You didn't say how much RAM you have right now but IMO the addition of more could offer you benefits if you have 8GB and run into memory limiting conditions. Buying 3000 or 3200 is very inexpensive now as long as your board & BIOS support it.

I have the cheapest B350 which was available a year and a half ago and it does 3200 with no problems. I originally bought only 8GB at 2933 (ran it at 2800 for various reasons) but when I upgraded to 16GB recently, I went to 3200 now that it's affordable again.

A CPU upgrade will offer you limited benefits if you're not constrained by 6c12t. My 4c4t R3 1200 gets low end use right now and while it hits its limits on occasion, it's not often enough to make the jump yet. Maybe in a year or two I'll pop for a R5 3600 or even go crazy with a R7 3800 but frankly, going from 4t to 12t will probably be all the improvement this system will need for the foreseeable future.

You didn't say how much RAM you have right now but IMO the addition of more could offer you benefits if you have 8GB and run into memory limiting conditions.
It's 32GB of DDR4-2400, and it wasn't cheap back in 2017! After your reply I had a look at current prices, and now it's almost half the price of what I originally paid. The box is used for media editing, which is why I chose to spend the money on RAM instead of the extra cores of Ryzen 7 at the time. Adobe CC couldn't really use the cores back then (and probably nowadays too!).

Perhaps Steve could do an upgrade benchmark of the new Zen 2 CPUs with older motherboards and RAM when they arrive to help out the prospective chip-swappers?

Last edited by a moderator:
Q) "Two Years Later, Who Won? Ryzen 5 1600 vs. Core i5-7600K"
A) Consumers won. Thanks, AMD.

Counterintuitively, if you want the customer to win in the long run you'd need to buy the underdogs.

Because if you insist on winning today (on price? on performance) you'll certainly lose tomorrow.

I like this comparison, 4core/4 thread vs 6core/12 thread that is cheaper (minus all the money wasted on different memory kits to find out which works as intended) and lo and behold, ryzen can match the 4 core 4 thread stale tech cpu intel has been milking for 10 years.Even faster in some titles. Kudos to AMD. I do appreciate them stepping up the game and nudging intel a little bit, but I did expect better. It is still not fully mature tech even today. Did someone say "WattMan"? 500mb driver updates? Ehh...

I am not hating, I am just pointing out to things that people willingly turn the blind eye to.

But... the industry should really switch to germanium. Silicon has hit the wall. It can't go much faster. It belongs to museum. We should be using germanium.
Well, a few years back, they switched to "stretched silicon" where silicon was mated to a germanium lattice to make it behave like germanium, so it could be the advantage of switching to germanium from that is no longer large.

Back