TechSpot

Ubuntu smartphone launching October in two large markets

By Jos
Feb 7, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Last month Canonical announced that a mobile version of Ubuntu would be arriving on a couple of smartphones towards the end of this year or early 2014. But now we have something closer to an actual release date courtesy of...

Read more

2. misor

misor TS Maniac Posts: 1,026   +154

Sorry, I can't help myself from wondering:
    is it the year of the ubuntu linux desktop OS now?
    is it the year of the ubuntu phone OS now?

3. roxxas2

roxxas2 TS Rookie Posts: 64   +20

You Wot M8?

4. Mortalife

Mortalife TS Rookie

I guessed you missed, "On the software side Ubuntu for phones will reportedly run the full desktop operating system."

5. TorturedChaos

TorturedChaos TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 855   +11

I wonder what markets these are being released in. Hopefully they come to my area soon! I would love to get one of these. Also wonder if you could root a Android smartphone and put the Ubuntu OS on it... hmmm.

6. Littleczr

Littleczr TS Booster Posts: 411   +79

It's the same old story of compatibility..

7. Apple have the iPad and Microsoft have office. Right now they are battling each other for supremacy, this could give another company an opening with open office on a mobile or tablet, could Ubuntu take up the challange, sadly when Ubuntu emerges as a threat they are likely to be squeezed out by the big two, however their efforts will benefit the consumer in the long run forcing Apple/MS to offer office on iPads, hopefully sooner rather than later.

8. ArthurZ

ArthurZ TS Rookie Posts: 79

I doubt how it can be a full OS or the standard mobile hardware now going to outperform the cheapest laptop?

9. R3DP3NGUIN

R3DP3NGUIN TS Enthusiast Posts: 154

Obviously once you connect the phone to an external monitor, you will get the "Full desktop experience"

10. ArthurZ

ArthurZ TS Rookie Posts: 79

I never would as at home I have a full blown desktop

11. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TS Evangelist Posts: 3,479   +624

I think what they mean, is that the kernel is roughly the same. Much like the Android kernel is very similar to Linux.

You can actually run full Ubuntu on Android phones right now. :)

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.