TechSpot

USB port crisis

1. I have this system am working on, a toshiba satelite (pentium m) whose usb port keeps crashing my hard drives, corrupt flash drives, causes malfunctions in usb printers. I have tried reinstalling the O/S thinking then that it possibly was a corrupt driver or something, later i took out the board to check for short circuits or burnt components but all to no avail.

I will be grateful if anyone has any idea what can be done about this.

2. EDO219

EDO219 TS Rookie Posts: 212

After reinstalling the OS, did you download and install the appropriate chipset drivers from Toshiba's website?

3. akannitaoheed

akannitaoheed TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 79

Of course i reinstalled all required drivers plus updates.

4. EDO219

Oh, I see now. Initially, I misread your post as stating that the issue first occurred after you did a fresh OS install.

Earlier this year I too encountered a Toshiba Satellite laptop that had seemingly un-fixable USB ports. One port, however, did work. Are all of yours broken?

5. akannitaoheed

Absolutely every port is "MAD"

6. EDO219

Yikes, this is sounding more and more like a bad mobo.

I'm assuming device manager recognizes them? Otherwise, the issue could be the deep sleep Windows glitch, but I doubt that is the case.

7. akannitaoheed

Thanks for your time