TechSpot

Using dlink D2750U Wifi Modem/Router As a Wifi Router

By Narain
Jan 25, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Hi,

I recently bought dlink D2750U WIFI ADSL modem/router, for my ADSL internet connection.

But I have now changed my ISP, who provide internet via cable(not telephone line). The ISP guy provides a cable modem(old modem) along with it.

I have connected my PC this way:
    Cable modem -> Router -> PC through RJ45. I am able to access internet from my PC, but I am not able to get wifi working on the router. And I am logging onto internet through a dial up connection.
    Questions:
    1) Please help in configuring the router to get wifi working.
    2) Also, my default gateway seems to be either 0.0.0.0 or blank. So, I am not able to login to the modem unless I remove the modem connection. Please let me know if I am doing anything wrong here.

Here are a few more details:
    Output of ipconfig: http://pastebin.com/Zr9Eb7L7
  2. TheHawk

TheHawk TS Enthusiast Posts: 191   +7

Hey Narain. The D-Link unit you have appears to be a combo unit (modem and wireless router) since it connects straight to the RJ-11 phone line. This unit won't work with an ISP that provides service by way of coax cable. The D-Link will work if you want to use DSL, but you need a cable service compatible modem or combo modem/router if you use cable service.

ftp://support.dlink.co.in/broadband/DSL-2750U/manual/DSL-2750U_C1_Manual_IN_1.00.pdf
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
  3. Narain

Narain TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thats bad! Since this Dlink router doesnt work, I am planning to buy another wireless router, Netgear WNR2000 N300.
    1) Would this work?. It has WAN port. Reviews look good though.
    2) Also if I change my ISP back again,will I be able to connect my ADSL modem to this new netgear router and use wireless connection. Will I be able to connect any modem(ADSL/cable) to this new netgear router to get the wifi working.

Please let me know. Thank you
  4. DevilDevansh

DevilDevansh TS Member Posts: 53

5. Narain

Thank you. Also, I have an old TP LINK WR541G router, and it does have a WAN. When I connect, the following way, I am not able to get internet connection on my PC or wireless:
    Cable Modem -->TP-LINK router --> PC

I set the network type to dynamic and tried enabling and disabling DHCP . But still couldnt get the internet or wireless to work. Please advice.
  6. Narain

Thank you guys. I have got my old TP-link router working. I just selected PPPOE and cloned the mac address. Thanks again!
  7. TheHawk

TheHawk TS Enthusiast Posts: 191   +7

Hey Narain.
    Q1. Yes, the Netgear would work with your cable internet service
    Q2. No it won't work as your D-Link is a combo modem/router unit .If you had a separate DSL modem only, the Netgear would work as the input to a DSL modem is an RJ11 phone line, and it's output is an RJ45 Ethernet (and maybe a USB) connection which would connect to the WAN port of the Netgear wireless router and give you 4 wired Ethernet connections and wireless connection

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.