Valve releases Team Fortress 2 for free, for good

By Emil
Jun 24, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Valve has released Team Fortress 2 for free, and has announced that it is staying that way forever. Of course, the company hasn't entirely given up on making money from…

Read the whole story
  2. backo

backo TechSpot Member Posts: 58   +8

You have to love Valve :)
  3. Technochicken

Technochicken TechSpot Paladin Posts: 903

Awesome! Now I finally have a game to play in the Friday Night Fragfest!
  4. Darkshadoe

Darkshadoe TechSpot Maniac Posts: 516   +96

Now if only they would make Mass Effect 3 free..

I can dream, can't I? :p
  5. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,105   +18

I should log on to see all the free hats that I've accumulated over the years.
  6. albertjkruger

albertjkruger TechSpot Member Posts: 18

I think this is Valve's response to Origin... Lol
  7. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,471   +300

YES!!! I LOVE VALVE!!!
  8. Time to try out Team Fortress 2! Thanks Valve. :)
  9. Now I have a third free game to play!

Already playing Alliance Of Valliant Arms and Battlefield Play 4 Free.

It's awesome that TF2 is now free, double awesome I don't need Reactor anymore and can play AVA through Steam, now if Valve could just add Battlefield P4F to Steam then I'll have a central game launcher / updater. :)
  10. IAMTHESTIG

IAMTHESTIG TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 384   +34

Cool i'll have to check this game out. Does it have LAN support? I host 12-16 player LAN parties every 4 months and I think this would be great to play on LAN. But trying to shove all these players through my 1.5mbit connection isn't going to fly well.
  11. thatguyandrew92

thatguyandrew92 Newcomer, in training Posts: 118

Yes it has lan

12. Relic

Relic TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,392   +16

Have countless hours logged in TF2 and would recommend everyone give it at least a try, especially since it's free now :) .
  13. IAMTHESTIG

IAMTHESTIG TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 384   +34

Sweeeeet.... downloading now. :)
  14. Scott8090

Scott8090 Newcomer, in training Posts: 49

Nice to see valve show their amazingness again. They own 80 to 85 percent of digital game sales for a reason yea!!
  15. TekGun

TekGun TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 156   +11

"How to keep winning" by Valve...
  16. ramonsterns

ramonsterns TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 752   +12

This is so awesome! Now all I have to do is make a new account every time I get caught hacking, and since VAC doesn't do **** for 1-3 weeks, I don't have to worry about it!

Actually, just kidding. Good job ruining the game.

EDIT: First Valve and now CCP with EVE Online. Good thing I stopped having faith in game developers early on, I don't think my little heart could have taken the knife or 12 to my back.
  17. @ramonsterns

You actually think that VAC exploit would ruin the game? what planet are you from?

/facepalm
  18. ramonsterns

ramonsterns TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 752   +12

The planet where VAC doesn't ban your IP and even if it did a persistent hacker can simply change it.
  19. treetops

treetops TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,652   +51

This games always been to cartoony for me. They announce this a week after DNF comes out ouch.
  20. tried the game this morning and hated everything about it. L4D2 is just so much better.
  21. princeton

princeton TechSpot Addict Posts: 1,716

All the ****ing servers I used to play on are full of F2P'ers and they're completely full all the time. **** this.
  22. IvanAwfulitch

IvanAwfulitch TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 239   +11

If I had to pick between Duke Nukem Forever and Team Fortress 2, I'd pick TF2 every time. DNF is a piece of crap.

Too bad I have this game already.
  23. You're doing it wrong, Valve. You charge money for a game then give away the miscellaneous crap like hats for free, not the other way round.
  24. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,471   +300

+1
  25. Scott8090

Scott8090 Newcomer, in training Posts: 49

Well the planet your in stinks. VAC works just fine. Its meant to run with server admins as well as auto kick/auto ban. If your basing your claims on CSS or Modern Warfare 2 then yea it works like crap But VAC run games Generally do their work well. As for simply changing your ip, IP's do "not" work that way. Masking Your ip is possible, fully changing your ip is not. Your given a IP by your ISP...Most Video Game Hackers are inexperienced fools..Change ip? Please don't make me laugh so hard lol...

PS: If you wanted to troll you Probably should back your claims better : 3.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.