Status
Not open for further replies.
hi guys
i have a dell inspiron 8600 laptop that is running very slow on startup
and when i due logon a user environment screen popup and says
windows cannot log you on because profile cannot be loaded
details, windows cannot find file specified

if anyone can help thanks!!

Sounds like your hard drive may have errors, give it a good scan then defrag. That may help.

Here are the bullet points from HERE

- Most of your profile settings and My documents are stored in a directory under C:\document and settings\

- There can be many profiles on a single computer, and they are loaded when you login to the computer.

- The problem is that you don't know why your profile can't be loaded. There would be any number of things wrong.

One sure fire way to fix the problem is to do the following.

1. Login to the computer as someone else that has administrative privledges.

2. Backup anything you need to keep by browsing to c:\documents and settings\<my username>\...
and coping that data to another safe place on your hard drive.

3. Right click on my computer, click properties, under the advanced tab you'll find User Profile settings.
This might be in a slighly different spot depending on what version of OS you are running. You'll need to delete your profile.

4. When you loggin again, it will create a brand new profile for you.

5. Copy the stuff you backed up into your profile directory again.

For slow startup:
1) Check the programs that are auto-running on startup. Use MSConfig/Taskmanager to check all programs loading on startup. You may also use Autoruns(a very powerful utility) by downloading it from the windows website. Search the net for info on the processes and turn off those not required. (Very tedious process).
2) Disable all unnecessary Windows Services from services.msc. Use the Black Viper guide available online.
3) You may try using the program Bootvis which gives you details about all programs running during bootup.
4) Do a registry clean and defrag the registry. (You may use NTRegOpt for optimising the registry).

These should significantly improve your Startup times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back