"Warning! You Have a Security Problem" infection

Status
Not open for further replies.

gweot

Edit: OK, I went back and followed the 8 steps..follow directions! Logs attached.
GW

I got this trojan surfing aroung Ebay...Have tried Malwarebytes which finds it and deletes it but, it just keeps coming back.

I ran Hijack this and the log is attached.

Can you please help me remove this scourge from my laptop?

Thanks,

GW

Uninstall Symantec (Norton) Antivirus
Run the Norton Removal tool

Restart

Uninstall Ad-Aware too
Uninstall Spybots S&D too
Uninstall SuperAntiSpyware too

Restart

Run Startup Control Panel and remove any not required startups: (should be most!)

Install Avira free AntiVirus

Start up Malwarebytes again; Update it; then run a full scan (remove all found Malwares)
You need to run this multiple times, until all hidden Malwares are uncovered and removed

There you go ;)
It might run about 100 times better as well ;)

Can't remove Symantic, any other suggerstions?

This is a company laptop with an enterprise version of norton. I am not the administrator.

Can I just disable it and run the other steps?

No

You cannot install Avira or run the Norton removal tool

Do this instead of everything posted:

Download Combofix
Lots of info on its use h e r e
Direct download h e r e

Locate the downloaded Combofix. Double click on it to run, answering any prompts along the way
Note: during Combofix scan (lasting up to 10mins) your Desktop and clock may reset (all normal)
ComboFix will also restart your computer (eventually) and then (eventually) create a log

Save this log file to be attached to a new reply

Also do another scan with HJT (scan and log file) and attach this to a new reply as well

Whilst waiting for my reply, you may want to re-open Malwarebytes; update it again; and then run another full scan (I'm thinking there may still be more uncovered malwares to remove) I would do this ;)

Combo Fix, HJT, completed Logs attached

Here you are. Thank you for your help.

Please let me know what else I need to do.

GW

Symantec just makes your logs so difficult to read, with it many entries (having a whinge here !)

Anyway:

Start->Run (I mean search of course) -> combofix /u

Then

Clear & Reset System Restore's Cache

Go to Start >> Run - type or copy/paste control sysdm.cpl,,4 and then press Enter
* Tick on the checkbox - Turn off System Restore on all drives
* Click Apply
Turn it back 'On' by unticking the same checkbox & click Apply, and then OK

Restart, how's it performing?

So Far, So Good!

Followed instructions and all appears OK at this time...the AntiSpyware 2009 disappeared after running the CombooFix. Ran Malwarebytes and it found nothing.

Thank You!

I don't kow who you are, where you are or what you do but, you are providing an invaluable service to us semi-computer literate masses out here!

Please keep it up!

Again, thanks.

GW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back