Weekend Open Forum: 2011's game failures, triumphs and beyond

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

As some of you may recall, we kicked the year off with a compendium of widely anticipated PC games expected to launch in 2011. For better or worse, many of those titles have come to fruition over the last five months with varying degrees of success. While long-presumed blockbusters like Crysis 2 and Dragon Age II failed to deliver, gamers have greeted lesser-known titles like The Witcher 2 and Section 8: Prejudice with open arms.

Zero Punctuation review of Dragon Age II (semi-NSFW)

Given that we're less than two weeks away from June, we thought it would be interesting to hear your thoughts on 2011's many unexpected turn of events. Have you been burned by a half-baked new release? Pleasantly surprised by an undervalued gem? Has your most anticipated game been delayed? Waiting for one of Steam's mega sales to see what all the fuss is about? No matter the case, let's hear your midyear gaming progress report.

Permalink to story.

Hahahahaha that review of Dragon Age 2 is amazingly funny.

Mmmm a fail for me were Crysis 2 requirements, maybe not fail but... unimpresive. Crysis 1 left the bar truly high.

zero punctuation was hilarious, that's exactly how I feel. I spent about 30 hours playing that game only to quit before the end. Waste of money. On another note. I do think there are few satisfactory games being released on schedule all together.

Oh, i forgot to add, since the picture of "crysis," is up there. Sooooooooooooooo many people on xbox think crysis 2 is the most ingenious fps invented. Okay enough. I just like to laugh.

Anybody know how DA II fared in sales? Bioware is just not the same. It must be due to their selling themselves to the evil empire knows as EA.

Here is a PC game that is suprisingly good: Larian Studios Dragon Knights Saga. They released Divine Divinity: Ego Draconis and then added additional material while improving DD:ED resulting in Dragon Knights Saga.

Seriously, it is a very good RPG.

Dragon Age II is a waste of time compared to Dragon Age Origins... Don´t wanna hurt feelings, but that's what happens when you make a game for consoles... anyways I hope F.3.A.R does not dissapoint me, and, of course, waiting impatiently for Battlefield 3! that's were I place my faith for 2011 excellent games!

Epic review, i Finished DAO2 it was good, but it lacked a lot of thing like more items, combat AI, dungeons variation, dungeons variation, dungeons variation, dungeons variation, platypuses, dungeons variation, dungeons variation, dungeons variation, and dungeons variation. It seems like they focused a lot in the animations, the non linear quest and making a tons of NPC's whit the same sexy body, up from there it was OK, not good but OK.

Crysis 2 was another expected game, but it feels a little gray on the gameplay, the graphics were excellent but the gameplay missed something, maybe its because i got used to BFBC2? and every single movement i see in Crysis 2 seems way to much exagereted, on the multilayer part, well its a very fast flow but i still feel that the gray gameplays is holding me back :\

Portal 2, great (funny) history but my wallet its still hurting for those $59.999999999999 for 3 hours of gameplay, luckily for me my 11 yo brother seems to be immune to the mouthbreathing virus and game me a lot of hours more of multi-player gameplay has well as a lot of "exploits" the bastard found, but those $59.999999999999 for 3 hours of gameplay?

Up from there im just hanging on Team Fortress 2 while i wait for Skyrim, BF3, Alice: Madness Returns (hopefully this one haves enough blood *raises up knife*), Fear 3 and Stronghold 3, up from there all others are wait in line because you arent that cheap!

Crysis 2 is fail. Not only does it still suffer from some of the bugs it had since day one, they want to charge PC gamers for DLC. Bad move Crytek.

Can't wait for BF3 and GR Future Soldier early next year.

supersmashbrada said:
zero punctuation was hilarious, that's exactly how I feel. I spent about 30 hours playing that game only to quit before the end. Waste of money. On another note. I do think there are few satisfactory games being released on schedule all together.
How do 30 hours of game play equate waste of money?

...ummm if they were not interesting and or entertaining hours.

I think Crysis 2 will go down as the years...possibly decades biggest failure. Cervat and Co. spent three years lying their asses of about this "epic". I bet the rest of the gaming/software industry are delighted they did. They now get to watch the sales and reaction to ferret out if they can get away with it (delivering a substandard product), and how far they can push it while still selling millions of copies. I think the alledged DX11 'patches completeness and function will be directly proportional to the amount of complaints they are receiving. Lots of complaints and lower sales = more polygons...acceptable sales and people gauged to get 'over it' = less polygons. Just my opinion.
What I don't get is why the PC'ers are getting all this ported Dx9 product, when sales of discreet graphic card sales have increased, even in a dreadful economy. Maybe someone more learned than I in the gaming/software area can explain this?

That is a lot of effort super, for something which turns out to be 'not so entertaining'.

I played DA2 way too many bugs.Also i don't understand one thing why EA keeps releasing nfs games haven't seen a decent racing genre game for a long time now.
Does AC3 count as triumph? I liked the game.

Archean said:
Still missing Test Drive hi? :confused:

I never played a single title from TD series i used to read reviews & other player's opinions based on that i felt never felt to spend any money on it.TD unlim2 was kinda avoidable but hate to say they put some kind of effort to make the title different but nfs series remains the same old boring stuff with better graphics.

For my money SG2 is one of the year's dissappointments, though not the same epic fail as DA2 or Cry2.
Unbalanced MP veterans, super-accurate artillery and non-existant friendly fire have kinda ruined what is an otherwise exceptional game.
LoL and even with these problems it is, IMO, the best AAA title released so far this year, and I'm putting it up against the Witcher 2 for that accolade.

I think Crysis 2 will go down as the years...possibly decades biggest failure. They now get to watch the sales and reaction to ferret out if they can get away with it
Yup, gonna come down to future sales versus development/code writing/debug expense.
My guess is that there will be a "new" launch with some minor tweaks and some graphical add on in a few months, but nothing earth-shattering unless they bundle an expansion pack and remarket the whole deal (unlikely imo)

I did try to warn you G

Love the video! Sequels, another marmite moment! Love em or hate em. After being disappointed with not just a few new releases, I hang back befor I buy them now.

Portal2 was hands down the biggest disappointment for me this year $50 for 5.5hrs of singleplayer gameplay means I will never pre order a game from valve again.

The best hidden gem is Dawn of War2 The last stand which is now a standalone that game keeps me busy all the time.

red1776 said:

...ummm if they were not interesting and or entertaining hours.
But surely if the game wasn't enjoyable, that could be determined after an hour or two, five, ten. But thirty? That's a whole lot of hours put into that game. Maybe it was repetitive, maybe it got boring, but come on, either it had something going for it to keep playing for 30 hours or the poster is a complete game addict who plays indiscriminately, in which case it helped with his fix. Either way, looks like he got something for his money.

2011 has been underwhelming to say the least. Hopefully DICE will set the bar high with BF3. But the fact that we already have confirmed paid DLC isn't reassuring.

I also love all the Crysis 2 hating. Because when I commented on the demo release saying it was a bad game I was universally flamed. Stay classy techspot members.

IMO homefront was a waste of money and time 3 and a half hours of play time and the multiplay is broken fail IMO.

Back