Weekend Open Forum: Do you game on your cell phone?

Jos

Usually when you think of gaming, a tiny screen and cramped controls aren't the first things that come to mind. But in the last year or so smartphone gaming has really kicked off as they get more capable hardware and developers find creative ways to use touch interfaces. So much indeed that Apple's iOS devices alone have already surpassed the Sony PSP as a gaming platform in the U.S., according to a recent survey, while closing in on the DS.

Sure, you can't compare it to the gaming experience offered by PCs or consoles, but when you're just looking to kill a few minutes, nothing beats the convenience of firing up a 'casual' game on your cell phone. Not to mention that other portable platforms charge around $15 to $40 per game, when Apple's iPhone, Google's Android and other smartphones offer popular titles for $0.99 – some are even free. We're also looking forward to seeing how well Windows Phone 7 devices integrate the Xbox experience.

So our question for you today is: Do you game on your cell phone? Be sure to share the games you enjoy playing and the platform you are running. Lately I've been playing Angry Birds and Cut the Rope on the iPhone – both really addictive – and I also fire up Flight Control or Sudoku from time to time.

Permalink to story.

Cut the Rope is incredible (I beat it :D), though I played on an iPod.

My modest cell phone doesnt have gaming abilities, but if it did, I'm sure I'd have a game or two, or ten ;)

I've yet to buy a smartphone. Maybe I'll dabble in this once I get a Android, Windows phone 7 smartphone but for now sudoku doesn't cut it.

Even before smartphones I used to game on my phone, but I tend to stick to the simpler puzzle type of games, even today on the iPhone. Think of Tetris, Sudoku or Bejeweled, definitely not a Doom port or anything close to that ;)

Playing games using the cramped keypads of cellphones is real hassle. I haven't tried touch screen phones yet but they're probably better in that respect. I hope that Microsoft at least tries to make Windows Phone 7 devices affordable. After all, they're really late to this party and you can't get mass market adoption if your products are expensive.

Yes, It has come to that... now that I have very little time left because of work and studies. Usually after lunch I play some soccer matches on the Iphone 4 which is fun and doesn't take too much time... of course on weekends, is PC time, and I dont play on the Iphone...

yes i do :) been playing tons of games on my moto droid that i proudly have OC to 1.2 GHz hehe :)

YES! I have an Android device (Galaxy S) ....On my phone atm: Tiki Towers, Angry Birds, Fruit Ninja - Emulators: NES, SNES, GameBoy, Genesis, PSX

I'm very interested in the PSP/Android device that was announced, hopefully the specs aren't final, and they release beefier hardware than what is rumored.

I used to play a version of Space Invades on my last work phone. Unfortunately it broke and my current one lacks any sort of games.

My phone pretends its a smart phone. However its not very good at it, havent even tried to play any games on it.

When the whole "Playing on the Cellphone" thing was new, I did.

It was only for a few days though since it was pointless to play when your out. Heck, gaming on a tiny screen was dumb. Eventually, I uninstalled every game.

I'm with Dsparil.

I don't anymore. I think I am one of the dieing few who just use their phone for texting and calling.

I have the original Droid, and I spend quite a lot of time playing games on it. I play Angry Birds, emulators for Genesis, SNES, and PS, and games by a company called Storm8. It's amazing the things that can be done with a phone these days.

klepto12 said:
yes i do :) been playing tons of games on my moto droid that i proudly have OC to 1.2 GHz hehe :)

y would u overclock yur phone o.O
most games are designed not to lag and OC will drain yur battery

When I have bit of time I try to play A5 on my cell but I always keep crashing into lamp posts, walls, railings etc. so I end up playing Paper Toss. :rolleyes:

Duke Nukem 3D on my Nokia N82, runs Symbian v3
This game works great because if you are as old as me you will remember it has auto aim for up/down. (You control it via keyboard, not mouse when it was released in 1996).
Also the graphics look really good on the small screen with 320x240 :)

I also have a SCUMM emulator on it, so I can play games like Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, Day of the Tentacle, Full Throttle & Sam & Max Hit the Road.

I also have Quake 1, 2 & 3 on it but that is mostly for show, it's not as fun since you need to aim up/down aswell...

My NES emulator is called GPFce.
I've also got Shadow Warrior on it, but have not been playing it so much yet. The other games above (except Quake) I've been playing quite allot.
Find it great when you are bored somewhere and want the time to go by ;)

Oh, and all these ports are free, you need the original gamefiles of course, but the Symbian emulator/port software is free...
Some links;

ScummVM; http://www.scummvm.org/
Quake; http://koti.mbnet.fi/hinkka/
GPFce; http://my-symbian.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=36393
Duke3D; http://my-symbian.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30784
Shadow Warrior; http://my-symbian.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=36469

a cell phone is a phone, i don't game, i don't surf the net, i don't watch movies, and all that ****, I JUST TALK, that's what a phone is suppose to do. these days every phone is doing everything but talk...

Back