Weekend Open Forum: How many displays are on your desk?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

With an insatiable desire for big screens and high resolutions, it's only natural that multi-display setups are increasingly popular among tech buffs. From desk jockeys to gamers, having tons of screen real estate can be a godsend for productivity (I speak from experience) or simply make your FPS session that much more enjoyable.

Having been gifted the 27-inch LG M2762D-PM last week, I was officially initiated into the dual-display club -- and I'm hooked. Now that the novelty of having a secondary monitor is wearing off, I can truly say from a utilitarian stance that having two screens is a blessing -- and three would undoubtedly be handier.

In this edition of the Weekend Open Forum, we'd like to hear about your monitor setup and how it fits your needs. Are you still roughing it with a 15-inch CRT? Long upgraded to triple 30-inchers? No matter the case, feel free to share them in the comments. If you're interested, you can also upload a picture here.

*Image courtesy of TechSpot member Renegeek.

Permalink to story.

I've been running dual 19" monitors mounted to the wall for a couple years now. I will never go back to a single monitor set up again. There is a pic in my gallery if you are interested. 3 monitors would be really nice but I don't have the space and playing on one screen for games is nice because I can have a video ir something else on the other monitor.

22" full hd, ocassionally go dual screen with 15" laptop if i want to, but normally use the 22" alone, but i find the smaller screen is great for hiding stuff like itunes or msn, while having chrome or something open on larger screen

3 screens 2 20inch lcds and 1 19inch crt. Middle screen splits tv for desktop and xbox 360 with vga cables. Crt mostly plays tv tunner. Right screen is used for web browsing. This is on a super old computer with a ati 9100 pci and a nvidia 6600gt. It is fun working with both drivers lol.

Dual display at work - one 15" laptop and a 22" HD. At home, a 26" HD. I only need one big display to play games. ;)

24 22'' displays with 4 ATI 5870 Eyefinity (then I woke up). Planning a 2 display setup for my 5770.

I bought a 42" LCD two years ago to use as my monitor/TV cause it was "the biggest" thing i could get. Its cool now to have the TV, but I now realize a 42" 1920x1080 display from 4 ft away looks exactly like a 22" 1920x1080 display from 18 in away, lol.

My desktop setup is a single 27" monitor, but I will probably add a smaller one on the side for basic programs like outlook and instant messaging stuff.

I use a 19" monitor dual screened with my 37" HDTV via HD cable. I use the tv for major things such as watching videos, gaming or reading articles like this one. As for the monitor It's basically my backup while I'm using the TV.

One 19" though I am aiming for two when I find some desk space. My wife has a 24" screen she bought herself for graphic design work.

I am currently running a 21.5" 1080p monitor, plus a 17" SyncMaster 740n. Even though I can't do any gaming stretched between the two, the second one is really amazingly helpful when it comes to software like Photoshop. Even writing papers is easier, because I can have two documents plus a web page all open at the same time without having to switch between any of them.

Only one 24" LG FLATRON W2452T that I had for a few years now. Multiple display setups area great, and I could sure use it as well for my work, but Im using one of those cart desks. It can barely fit my 24" as is with just enough room to put my speakers on the side without them actually interfering with my view.

At home i'm using an Asus 19" flatscreen on my pc. My mother's pc which i put together uses an AOC 20" flatscreen. At work i use an AOC 15"crt. Now i would like 2 x 22" flatscreens but, that's gonna wait a long time cause i'm satisfied with my current setup (4890 @ 900Mhz/4000Mhz).

A 24in 1080p monitor... I can't really find the use for more than one monitor at home, but then I only really browse the internet and game on my PC. The Win7 snap left/right feature and a 16:9 monitor means I can have 2 windows side by side all the time.

I own a single 23" LG W2353V hooked up to 3 ATi 4830's in crossfire, I think its more than enough for web browsing and playing some games in 1980x1080...

Well, a 19" LCD and a 17" CRT. I put all the monitoring tools and gadgets to show in CRT and do gaming and all in 19". And yes, it is extremely useful when using graphical applications or doing research or something !

One Viewsonic 1080P 23" and one Samsung 22" 1680*1050 on a 5850 23" is shared with two pcs the other one my gaming rig running a GTX260 core 216 SLI setup which ill switch to the 5850 once i buy another one for CrossfireX goodness!!

IMHO if you do not work in the music/graphics business and if you do not play flight/racing simulators you do not need a multiple monitor setup. It is better to have a BIG single high resolution monitor (HD) at 1080p. I have a 21.5" ASUS MS226H Ultra Slim monitor (7 pounds, 1920x1080, CR 50000:1, RT 2ms, Energy Star) in case I need to carry it to a LAN party. It is a BIG BANG FOR THE BUCK. That combine with a HD XFX 5850 BE blows all the games out there to bits. I have a 10.2" Dell laptop for light work like word processing, Internet browsing, emailing and music playing.

Cheers

I have a 23" and 17" connected to my Mac, nice to keep iTunes on the smaller screen. On my gaming PC, I have a single 27" widescreen, which I would like to get to three screens with Eyefinity, but can't afford that at the moment. Dual 19" screens at work are an absolute necessity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back