Weekend Open Forum: What games are you playing right now?

Justin Kahn

open forum

Personally, I tend to use the time at the end of the summer, as fall sets in, to catch up on playing some games I didn’t have time for at release. While it may just be my tastes, there hasn’t been a major console/PC release that really grabbed my attention in the past months. While impressive looking, Destiny’s MMO like shooter experience just doesn’t sit well with my thirst for stealthy and thoughtful gameplay (and my anti-social gaming behaviors), so I decided to look into some interesting titles I haven’t got around to playing.

After months and months of playing around at Camp Omega in MGS V: Ground Zeroes, I think its time I try Watch Dogs out and see how long I can last in Dark Souls 2. As a complete Souls noob, I’m both excited and terrified. Reviews suggest it is a much more tame experience than previous entries, but I’m still a little worried the standard combat may be a little too difficult for me.

So for this week’s open forum we want to know what you’re playing right now and if you have suggestions for must-play titles we may have missed out on. What do you play when the new releases aren’t catching your attention? Do you try stuff a little outside your comfort zone or go back to the classics?

Permalink to story.

The Typing of The Dead Overkill, Sleeping Dogs, Shadow Warrior, NFS 11, Max Payne 3, kmquake2, Far Cry 3
F.E.A.R. 3., Dishonored, Singularity and Candy Crush. Dishonored is great and Max Payne is OK as is FC3. Actually they are all OK for the prices I paid

Trying to knock out some games I've half-finished. Hard Reset, Diablo III, Outlast and Batman: Arkham Asylum.

Have on pre-order Legend of Grimrock 2 and Far Cry 4 which both should be arriving in the next 30 days. :)

Shadow of Mordor (PC) and thinking of picking up Alien:Isolation. I still have a ton of games in my backlog that I need to finish. I'm pretty sure I've only completed about 25% of my Steam library.

Command & Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath, FreeSpace 2 (FreeSpace Open mods) , Burnout: Paradise City, Real Racing 3 (Android). I just picked up Supreme Commander from a Humble Bundle this week, and might start it this weekend.

FreeSpace 2 (FreeSpace Open mods)
I had no idea that people still played this. I found out about FS open a few years ago and it really is amazing what they've done with the graphics. Volition should re-release the decent and freespace series with improve graphics. I think the controls are still fine though, no need to tweek them.

Why did sci-fi flight simulators ever go out of style?

Battlefield 4, Titanfall, Planetside 2 and Dragon age origins
From most frequently played to least frequently played.

At the moment, I am playing Driveclub and several of the titles that are being offered free on Playstation Plus for the month. Dust: An Elysian Tail is surprisingly good. I had been fiddling with Destiny since launch, but only because it was the only game in town. Simply put, I find little reason to do anything other than critique Destiny.

As for AAA games I'm anticipating... That's a short list. Thus far, I have yet to be impressed by any of the so-called nextgen titles. Naturally, they've improved the base graphics of the games, but little new has been done with gameplay. Each new game that's come out this year has simply reimagined an older product in a new universe. The only exceptions to this would be FFXV, the upcoming Rainbow Six, Project CARS, and The Division. These four titles look like they want to take a different approach to existing formulas, so I'm interested in seeing how things pan out for them. All else is bordering on "pass" for me.

I stumbled onto Marvel Heroes 2015 after the "relaunch" featured on Steam. I'm not a big fan of F2P games in general, but this game uses a very nice F2P model. Everything is achievable through gameplay. It's a Diablo style Action RPG MMO with Marvel characters. There's dungeons, raids, daily areas, events, the whole nine yards. It felt a bit weird right off the bat, but the more I played it the more I liked it. I don't even feel bad for spending money on it. I feel good for supporting the game. :D

PS: Helps a lot if you're a hardcore Diablo II fan that grew up reading Marvel comics.

Played a crap ton of Destiny recently.
On PC I've almost max level in BF4.
Borderlands 2 has come back out to get ready for the pre-sequel.
I never completed GTA5 on PS3 so when it arrives on PS4 I'll be playing a lot of that also.

Sadly I'm moving out next week and BT take at least 2 weeks to get an Internet line installed :(

Im playing world of tanks ...only wot this is the only game on my pc in the last year . One hell of a game

EA isreal

Back