Weekend Open Forum: What's your favorite horror movie?

By Matthew
Oct 12, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Although I don't regret "cutting the cord," there are some inherent drawbacks to relying on Internet services and discs for shows and movies -- namely that you always have to know what you want to watch. That's generally fine because...

Read more
  2. humphrey

humphrey Newcomer, in training

There are a lot of them, cant name just one
    night of the living dead
    the exorcist
    nearly any Hammer Horror
  3. Tygerstrike

Tygerstrike TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 827   +93

I would have to say my all time favorite horror movie would have to go to. Nightmare on Elm st. The original. That movie, when it came out, scared me silly. It was even worse later in life when I realized the full "psychological" aspect of that movie. The full body bag being dragged by some invisible force has always left an impression on me.
  4. TitoBXNY

TitoBXNY TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 115   +7

The Exorcist
  5. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,231   +314

The Exorcist - I was stationed in Georgia when it came out. Lots of "old world" superstitious people live in the south. When the movie started, the place was packed. By the time it was 2/3 finished the theater was half-full, and by the time the movie had ended there were maybe 12 people left in the theater.

The rest had run for their lives...LOL.

Runner up: The Omen (the original, not the crappy remake).
  6. Serbian film and august underground
  7. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,700   +586

A few for different reasons:
    The Shining - slow burn
    Cemetary Man (Dellamorte Dellamore) - Zombies+ black humour
    I Saw the Devil - absolutely brutal
    Cigarette Burns (by John Carpenter. Masters of Horror series 1 episode 8) -doesn't get any better for TV

Honourable mentions: Night of the Living Dead, Eraserhead, Onibaba, Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956 version) - love the B&W horrors.
  8. treetops

treetops TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,572   +41

Yeah I still have local tv which I use for back ground noise. But its not nearly as good.

I can't watch the old scary movies again if its not dwindling in the background, they just don't appeal to me anymore.

Best newish movies iv seen that I can think of

Drag me to hell

Jeepers creepers

Trick or treat
  9. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Posts: 5,847   +64

The Ring- (2001 American remake) & The Ringu (the original Japanese film) Gore Verbinsky
    Tesion from beginning scene to the end and not a wasted scene. It didn't feel obligated to answer every question and actually left things to the viewers imagination...I know American audiences really hate that, but to bad.
    Hellraiser- Clive Barker (best one liners in horror) "....and to think...I hesitated" & "Your suffering will be legendary...even in hell"
    Event Horizon- Paul Anderson -a Sci-Fi space horror about a guilty conscious....and it works!....with Sam Neill!
    Session 9- Brad Anderson, esoteric film around 2001 I think. I believe it was the first film David Caruso made after deciding he was movie star material.
    Nosferatu - F.W. Murnua a 1922 German expressionist film that scared the hell out of me when I was a kid
  10. (the) exorcist
    night of the living dead

Exorcist The Beginning
    Dominion Prequel To The Exorcist

28 days later
    28 weeks later
    Dead Season
    dawn of the dead
    resident evil 1,2,3,4, degeneration, damnation

Night Wolf
    The Devil Inside
    bram stoker's dracula

the awakening
    the others

Boogeyman 3
  11. Werewolf: The Beast Among Us
    jetkami likes this.
  12. The Omen (1976)
  13. TS-56336

TS-56336 TechSpot Booster Posts: 563   +96

I'm more of a campy horror fan. But among the horror films I've seen for the past ten years, my most favorite is The Blair Witch Project. It works because it connotes what scares us in the dark; The stuff that we can't see happening in it.

Besides Blair Witch, there are few more titles that I like. (The Shining, Drag Me To Hell, Paranormal Activity).

Nice of you to ask, Matt! =D

14. My favorite horror movies would have to be:
    • Evil Dead 2
    • Hellraiser
    • Fright Night
    • Dawn of the dead (original)
    • Day of the dead
    • Trick or Treat
    • Friday the 13th (original)
    and I'm sure theres plenty more, its kinda my favorite genre :)
  15. An American Werewolf in London.

Great soundtrack and some fantastic lines and scenes.
  16. Evil Dead II (1987)
    Poltergeist (1982)
    The Car (1977)
    The Exorcist III (1990)
    Lifeforce (1985)
    Halloween II (1981)
    Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers (1988)
    and the remake of Halloween (2007)
  17. THE FLY

also Paranormal Activity 1 and REC
  18. HaMsTeYr

HaMsTeYr TechSpot Maniac Posts: 387

I class myself as a seasoned horror goer, and most western films these days are just TERRIBLE to be honest, they don't even make me flinch, and they're absolutely predictable...

Drag me to hell is a good example of this.

Therefore... I give my vote to the slightly more obscure Korean Horror film...

A Tale of Two Sisters.

That **** is like Horror + Inception
  19. Julio Franco

Julio Franco TechSpot Editor Posts: 6,446   +269

I left the genre a few years ago when I realized it didn't relax me one bit to watch a horror movie. Having that said, when seen as a form of art, there are admittedly a few gems worth watching: Psycho, The Exorcist, The Shining.
  20. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,231   +314

LOL...you went to a horror movie to RELAX?? :p
  21. Julio Franco

Julio Franco TechSpot Editor Posts: 6,446   +269

Haha, yea I know. What I meant was, I realized it was a guilty pleasure I wasn't enjoying.
    Marnomancer likes this.
  22. Horror movie:
    justin bieber concert on cable tv.

ok real horror movie:
    the ring (series), both original japanese and english movie remakes.
    Dawn1113 and Route44 like this.
  23. dms96960

dms96960 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 199   +16

Alien

The Thing
  24. Darkshadoe

Darkshadoe TechSpot Maniac Posts: 451   +62

Titanic..
    VitalyT likes this.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.