Weekend Open Forum: What's your favorite horror movie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Although I don't regret "cutting the cord," there are some inherent drawbacks to relying on Internet services and discs for shows and movies -- namely that you always have to know what you want to watch. That's generally fine because I'm not interested in most of what's on TV and I don't need the distraction that content surfing brings, but there are seasonal periods where I miss being able to let videos roll in the background.

This is especially true throughout October and December as channels dedicate their schedules to Halloween and Christmas-themed films. When I had cable, I'd catch parts of various popular horror flicks around this time every year. I can't even say I liked many of them, but that didn't really matter. They were nostalgic and to some extent, a tradition -- as strange as that word seems to be when describing a cheesy Syfy marathon.

I can technically simulate the experience with a service like Netflix, but at that point I'd rather just build my own catalog locally. If I do that, I might as well add more than cult classics like Dawn of the Dead and Halloween, which is where this WOF comes in: what are your favorite horror movies? As a bonus, for those of you without cable, do you ever miss the passive nature of tossing on a random TV channel for background noise?

Permalink to story.

I would have to say my all time favorite horror movie would have to go to. Nightmare on Elm st. The original. That movie, when it came out, scared me silly. It was even worse later in life when I realized the full "psychological" aspect of that movie. The full body bag being dragged by some invisible force has always left an impression on me.

The Exorcist - I was stationed in Georgia when it came out. Lots of "old world" superstitious people live in the south. When the movie started, the place was packed. By the time it was 2/3 finished the theater was half-full, and by the time the movie had ended there were maybe 12 people left in the theater.

The rest had run for their lives...LOL.

Runner up: The Omen (the original, not the crappy remake).

A few for different reasons:
The Shining - slow burn
Cemetary Man (Dellamorte Dellamore) - Zombies+ black humour
I Saw the Devil - absolutely brutal
Cigarette Burns (by John Carpenter. Masters of Horror series 1 episode 8) -doesn't get any better for TV

Honourable mentions: Night of the Living Dead, Eraserhead, Onibaba, Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956 version) - love the B&W horrors.

Yeah I still have local tv which I use for back ground noise. But its not nearly as good.

I can't watch the old scary movies again if its not dwindling in the background, they just don't appeal to me anymore.

Best newish movies iv seen that I can think of

Drag me to hell

Jeepers creepers

Trick or treat

The Ring- (2001 American remake) & The Ringu (the original Japanese film) Gore Verbinsky
Tesion from beginning scene to the end and not a wasted scene. It didn't feel obligated to answer every question and actually left things to the viewers imagination...I know American audiences really hate that, but to bad.
Hellraiser- Clive Barker (best one liners in horror) "....and to think...I hesitated" & "Your suffering will be legendary...even in hell"
Event Horizon- Paul Anderson -a Sci-Fi space horror about a guilty conscious....and it works!....with Sam Neill!
Session 9- Brad Anderson, esoteric film around 2001 I think. I believe it was the first film David Caruso made after deciding he was movie star material.
Nosferatu - F.W. Murnua a 1922 German expressionist film that scared the hell out of me when I was a kid

(the) exorcist
night of the living dead

Exorcist The Beginning
Dominion Prequel To The Exorcist

28 days later
28 weeks later
Dead Season
dawn of the dead
resident evil 1,2,3,4, degeneration, damnation

Night Wolf
The Devil Inside
bram stoker's dracula

the awakening
the others

Boogeyman 3

I'm more of a campy horror fan. But among the horror films I've seen for the past ten years, my most favorite is The Blair Witch Project. It works because it connotes what scares us in the dark; The stuff that we can't see happening in it.

Besides Blair Witch, there are few more titles that I like. (The Shining, Drag Me To Hell, Paranormal Activity).

Nice of you to ask, Matt! =D

My favorite horror movies would have to be:
  • Evil Dead 2
  • Hellraiser
  • Fright Night
  • Dawn of the dead (original)
  • Day of the dead
  • Trick or Treat
  • Friday the 13th (original)
and I'm sure theres plenty more, its kinda my favorite genre :)

An American Werewolf in London.

Great soundtrack and some fantastic lines and scenes.

Evil Dead II (1987)
Poltergeist (1982)
The Car (1977)
The Exorcist III (1990)
Lifeforce (1985)
Halloween II (1981)
Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers (1988)
and the remake of Halloween (2007)

I class myself as a seasoned horror goer, and most western films these days are just TERRIBLE to be honest, they don't even make me flinch, and they're absolutely predictable...

Drag me to hell is a good example of this.

Therefore... I give my vote to the slightly more obscure Korean Horror film...

A Tale of Two Sisters.

That **** is like Horror + Inception

I left the genre a few years ago when I realized it didn't relax me one bit to watch a horror movie. Having that said, when seen as a form of art, there are admittedly a few gems worth watching: Psycho, The Exorcist, The Shining.

Horror movie:
justin bieber concert on cable tv.

ok real horror movie:
the ring (series), both original japanese and english movie remakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back