Weekend Open Forum: Would you accept Deux Ex-like augmentations?

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

open forum deux

With so many companies developing wearable smart devices, it seems like it's only a matter of time before Deus Ex-style body augmentations are being widely discussed. It's kind of scary to think about having just a smartphone's features on or in your body, but what if things reached sci-fi proportions?

Are you happy with being "only" human or would you be open to getting some enhancements? If the former, is there a deeper ethical reason behind your stance? For everyone else: would you be an early adopter and how far would you go? How about X-ray vision or another tech that could be easily abused?

Permalink to story.

With so many companies developing wearable smart devices, it seems like it's only a matter of time before Deus Ex-style body augmentations are being widely discussed. It's kind of scary to think about having just a smartphone's features on or...
Ah, absolutely. I'd adore being the first kid on my block with a cybernetic penile implant with an endoscope attachment. Full hi-def. of course.....;)

I'd call myself the "Sperminator".

(To the staff: would you at least hit this up with a "like" or two, before you pull it)?:p

I would so go for some new eyes, a non-invasive brain interface that allows me to send commands via thought but aren't designed to directly receive information. The information would need to be received visually and audibly because I don't want data going directly into my brain until it's been vetted to Matrix levels.

With so many companies developing wearable smart devices, it seems like it's only a matter of time before Deus Ex-style body augmentations are being widely discussed. It's kind of scary to think about having just a smartphone's features on or...
Ah, absolutely. I'd adore being the first kid on my block with a cybernetic penile implant with an endoscope attachment. Full hi-def. of course.....;)

I'd call myself the "Sperminator".

(To the staff: would you at least hit this up with a "like" or two, before you pull it)?:p

That's the first positive post I've read by you since Joining TS :)

Definitely, I have carpal tunnel syndrome and the muscles in my back are not the best either. If there were some kind of device that enhances language acquisition and performance, I'd happily wear them too.

That seems lazy. I would go full Chimera. Eagle eyes, horse penis, the works. And then, upgrade further if biological has reached the limits.

That seems lazy. I would go full Chimera. Eagle eyes, horse penis, the works. And then, upgrade further if biological has reached the limits.
You're right sir. Full Chimera it is: I want wings made of money, laser eyes, wheels replacing my legs. Instead of arms, .50 cal machine gun. And the cake cherry: above my head, a halo resembling a shuriken. My lance of love needs no enhancements.

Well this went in a direction I didn't see coming. I don't know why I didn't....
I think if you refer to Frank Herbert's "Dune", you'll quickly realize you're suffering from acute "Spice" underdose.

(Dear Lord I hope somebody gets this reference:D ).

Definitely! give me an extra terabyte of memory storage attached to my brain stem and an optical implant that allows me to learn things like people with photographic memories. would make school SO much easier!!

I don't find the idea of being a cyborg too appealing, so I'd only use the tech if it were to replace organic parts that were destroyed/irreparably damaged. Luxury augs would simply be out of the question.

Ethically speaking, I don't see any conflict unless said technology were used for nefarious purposes. So long as those with applicable augmentations are banned from sports, active trading, certain academic achievements/awards and admissions, and music & art competitions, I see no more ethical problems than those that may exist with the current augmentation culture.

I think if you refer to Frank Herbert's "Dune", you'll quickly realize you're suffering from acute "Spice" underdose.

(Dear Lord I hope somebody gets this reference:D ).

3pv2cm.jpg

Sorry. I had to.

When looking over the Augs. from Deus Ex & Deus Ex; Invisible War, I Would take some of those upgrades in a heartbeat !
Vision Enhancement W/Night Vision
Legs Enhancement W/Jumping
Lung Enhancement W/Extended Capacity
Self Healing With the Black Market Mod of Health Leach
And if they ever come up with a Nano Mod to Reduce Obesity, I'd be first in line!
However, at age 58, I'll not hold my breath, waiting for these fictional things to become a reality, any time soon.

However, at age 58, I'll not hold my breath, waiting for these fictional things to become a reality, any time soon.
Don't give up hope! Twenty years ago the digital cochlear implant I have was barely in the research phase. By 2009 when I had mine fitted I went from 98% hearing loss (profoundly deaf) to around 80-85% of what is accepted as the normal hearing range, and somewhat better than that when using a device with a digital emitter since there is no distortion as there is with sound through air.

...[ ]....
Really. At your age, (and I'm older than you), I'd just pray nightly that Medicare will still be around when you hit 65........:eek: (as you may have just guessed, I'm nowhere near as upbeat as DBZ).
I'm now waiting for someone to chastise you for not adding SPOILER ALERT

[FONT=Calibri]For a 45 year old book[/FONT]
Well, after things get so old, they become new to a new generation. Hence, you can wind up in 2013 with 13 year old Pink Floyd fans. (At least teens with enough sense to realize that hip hop isn't actually music.

As far as "Spice Melange" goes, I'm an old "space folder" from way back. But in those days, it was called "Orange Sunshine".

I have mild cerebral palsy, so the answer would be absolutely without a doubt it would be amazing to be able to run faster and see what kind of crazy things I would be able to accomplish with these augmentations.

The bottom line - none of these will improve the savage human nature. I want to see the technology that will, like artificial implants - organs and such, brain amplifiers.

The bottom line - none of these will improve the savage human nature. I want to see the technology that will, like artificial implants - organs and such, brain amplifiers.

How will either of these positively impact human nature?

Death improves savage human nature, not extended life. Death 'sobers' everyone up a little bit. If people could live around a usually fatal event, humanity would just hack away at each other without much thought. (has anyone read the inheritence cycle? the soldiers that dont feel pain and will fight until decapitated or no blood left? they laughed and struck even as their legs were both gone. I think its a pretty fair example...).

Back