Weekend Open Forum: Your worst gaming habits

Matthew DeCarlo

Although I've never pillaged someone's RuneScape account at knifepoint, I have plenty of less-than-proud moments in my gaming history -- like many of you, I imagine. My lowest point was undoubtedly spending months of free time on a little-known MMORPG called Dofus back in 05 or so. I paid for multiple accounts and played several characters simultaneously for 6+ hours a day (more on weekends).

Gamer runs 36 WoW accounts at once (from 2008)
open forum

After about eight months, I deleted the characters and I've largely avoided MMORPGs since, besides a few weeks on WoW. However, I've had similarly shameful stints with titles in other genres, such as StarCraft (Brood War and Wings of Liberty) as well as SOCOM II (a shooter on the PlayStation 2). What games have you been most hooked on? Are there any obsessions you feel particularly guilty about?

Permalink to story.

My first one was Ultima Online, then at other random times the Halo Series, Lineage II, World of Warcraft, the Grand Theft Auto series, and Counter-Strike. Also Pokemon on GameBoy when I was a kid. I've taken a huge step back in recent years and play games mostly when I'm physically with friends.

Does list ever end? Buying things for diablo II. Endless hours on mw2, DII, flyff, kartrider (north american and popkart), command and conquer tiberian sun (played other but that was my favorite) I almost have more hours spend gaming then in reality - sleep.

Probably buying games on steam shock sells and NEVER playing them haha. Also the whole eating crap food and consuming amazing amounts of energy drinks is bad too.

RBI Baseball back in 87, Streets of Rage, Golden Axe, Resident Evil, Dungeon Siege, Knox, Darkstone, Neverwinter nights, World of Warcraft, Mass Effect, Dragon age, Titan Quest
Diablo 1 Diablo 2. Aforementioned are the ones my wives hated me for, I got them hooked on Diablo series. Steam...

I have a strong craving to replay through Final Fantasy VII every few years... first on the PS1, then on the PC via an emulator, then on the PSP. Just waiting for the iphone app now :)

Drank one too many beers one night while playing the MMORPG Asheron's Call. Let's make that I was completely blitzed. Logged on the next day to find my uber character completely naked, standing in the middle of a swamp filled with critters I had no chance against. Had no idea how I got there or what happened to all of my uber stuff. I was so angry with myself I deleted that character (which I had invested about 6 months in) and started from scratch.

Never said I was a brain surgeon. ;)

Never bothering to finish games, playing on easy difficulty, quicksaving too frequently. I can't even remember the last time I "died" in a game.

I just stopped playing a browser game called Travian. Nothing special really and its definately not for everybody. Its proficient at causing sleep deprivation. Thats cause you can log out but that doesn't stop people from attacking and permanently destroying your account. It runs 24/7 and each server lasts a year(been playing since 2007). So for me, it was months on end not getting any more then 2 hours of sleep at a time.

Scshadow said:
I just stopped playing a browser game called Travian. Nothing special really and its definately not for everybody. Its proficient at causing sleep deprivation. Thats cause you can log out but that doesn't stop people from attacking and permanently destroying your account. It runs 24/7 and each server lasts a year(been playing since 2007). So for me, it was months on end not getting any more then 2 hours of sleep at a time.
Reminds me of this mmorpg(cabal) i used to play. There were these pvp events called nation wars and this one guy i knew built his schedule around them so that he could attend every single one.

I've wasted way too much time on Call of Duty games and I'm sure the same will happen when (if) Diablo III is released.

I always hit 5 instead of 6 when trying to call in a UAV/Airstrike/ helicopter in CoD4. Yes I still play CoD 4...

my worst has to be buying gold for an MMO, OH MY GOD you dont want to know how much of my parent's money i've spent LOL
good thing their disgusting rich

back in the year 2000-2002, i used to play starcraft: broodwar (for 12 hours) and diablo II: LOD (for 3-6 hours) on battlenet.

i still play either game now but at 1 hour only, sometimes less.

maybe its my old age catching me.
:)

i never had any longing for any mmorpg out there but i am drooling for diablo III to come out and starcraft 2 first expansion.
(but no, i will not be buying these games at the current exorbitant prices, and surely when their battlechest editions come out. :) )

in order..

- Warcraft 2
- Duke Nukem 3d Demo (was awesome back then)
- StarCraft
- Quake 1 team fortress
-Tribes 1
- Counter-Strike, Diablo 2
....no gaming for many years.....(university)
-WOW
-BF3

Was addicted to ragnarok online for like a year or so but deleted the account and now addicted to few single player games but atleast they end in a week and i only play them during vacations so its all good.

My current vice are MOBAs/HeroRTS, mainly Dota2 as I quit HoN because of the community. I'm finding Dota2 to be no better. Also thinking of dropping it, not worth losing my temper over someone who decides to ruin 30-60 minutes of my life with their stupidity.

I'm currently playing Path Of Exile (Diablo-like game currently in closed beta, open beta coming in the spring). I spend easily 6 hours a day playing this game. I actually got a hardcore character to level 74 and just died today, I almost destroyed my keyboard. Luckily at least Path Of Exile moves hardcore characters down to legacy when you die. So you don't lose the character or any items, you just lose the "Hardcore" status. Anyways, great, addictive game, much more promising than Diablo 3. Oh and Path Of Exile will be a free to play game but NOT pay to win. They will sell basically useless but cool looking effects for skills, extra storage in your stash (which you start with 4 pages, I imagine you'll be able to expand to 10 or 15).

Anyways, back to playing POE.

240 hours into Battlefield 3. I gotta stop reloading after every kill, and I'm bad for not finishing games.

Back