TechSpot

Weekend tech reading: Inconsistencies in Apple v. Samsung ruling

By Matthew
Aug 26, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Late in the process yesterday at the Apple v. Samsung trial, when the parties and the judge were reviewing the jury verdict form, Samsung noticed that there were, indeed, inconsistencies in the jury's verdict form, a possibility Samsung anticipated. In…

Read more

2. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,349   +398

That CPU gaming performance article by The Tech Report is quite interesting. I have to wonder though if they're over-thinking their new testing procedures regarding frame latencies. They may be able to measure those latencies, but you're talking milliseconds of a single refreshed frame which is indiscernible to the human eye, especially when you're talking 50+ FPS. Regardless, the Intel processors sure stomp the crap out of the AMD ones in their results.

3. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,867   +691

Frame latency is discernible to some people. 50ms is a twentieth of a second (0.05 seconds) yet motion pictures are perceived as fluid at 24fps (0.04 sec/frame) and first-person gaming at 60 fps (0.02 sec/frame). To some people lagging/microstutter is observable or an irritant, to others- not so much.

4. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 1,924   +373

The demise of nintendo power is frustrating, as I have memories of that magazine when I was a kid. What's more frustrating is nintendo not making any games I really want to play anymore.

5. "To some people lagging/microstutter is observable or an irritant, to others- not so much."

Actually the human brain processes what you see at about 30 fps. Unless some game lags for 5+ frames at 60 fps it will not be noticed. You can get headaches, however, from frames even if they are moving faster than the brain processes them.

6. about 5+ frames**

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.