TechSpot

Weekend tech reading: Llano GPU 325% faster than Sandy Bridge

By Matthew
May 22, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. AMD - Llano offers 325% better graphics performance than Sandy Bridge AMD continues to ride the GPU performance before the launch of the new mid-range processor Llano. Recently leaked documents from…

Read the whole story
  2. Julio Franco

Julio Franco TechSpot Editor Posts: 6,525   +313

Interesting claim from AMD. If so that would mean death to a range of budget graphics cards, including their own.
  3. H3llion

H3llion TechSpot Paladin Posts: 962   +98

4. H3llion

Should be CPU not GPU afaik ^^
  5. H3llion

Or nvm, thought Llano was a new AMD CPU series .... (wtb edit, delete button)
  6. Well its an APU a cpu + gpu.

It really should be "Llano APU 325% faster..."

Looks like Sandy Bridge got owned

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdPi4GPEI74
  7. Xero07

Xero07 Newcomer, in training Posts: 93

GPU is right since its the gpu component that is 325% faster and not the entire APU or or CPU portion.
  8. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,820   +651

Yes, AMD balance sheet is going to be very dependant upon how much business they pick up from OEM's which presently use Nvidia low-end graphics - especially the huge Asian (read China) markets.
    Can't help but think that revenue is likely to be up -if they gain a larger share in low end (Brazos) and lower-mainstream (Llano) markets, but margins and profit line could take a hit. I'd assume that Zambesi will cannibalize/replace AMD's current lineup, so it would seem that they really need Interlagos to make a dent in Intel's stranglehold in the server market* to turn the corner substantially.

*[source]
  9. Everyone who knows anything about Intel chipsets know they perform like crap compared to AMD/NVIDIA solutions. Larrabee was always going to fail unless you like brilliant looking graphics at 0.5fps. Took them several chipsets to get HDMI decoding right (they claimed G35 and G45 did it but both had non-functioning or incomplete implementations).
    It just needs more press like this so mainstream takes notice.
  10. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,105   +18

Meh, leaked document.

Leak a chip or two for actual testing.
  11. Jurassic4096

Jurassic4096 Banned Posts: 158

AMD has already proved to us that the GPU solution in Llano will leave anything else integrated today far behind, but we are starting to worry about the lack of material around the actual CPU portion of the chip.

^That's my thought. So the question is, are you really that excited that they mixed old ish with new ish? It's early on and eventually they'll pair it with CPU built on a new micro-architecture, but for now this does not interest me, but then again, neither do laptops.

12. venomblade

venomblade Newcomer, in training Posts: 69

"AMD - Llano offers 325% better graphcis performance than Sandy Bridge "

not sure how much it matters, it should be "graphics"
  13. DokkRokken

DokkRokken Newcomer, in training Posts: 275

Considering Llano is the mainstream option, AMD making little noise about the CPU portion does make sense. Joe Blow, who has a Core2 with a 5400RPM HD wouldn't notice much of a difference when it comes to viewing email or YouTube.

But then again, he likely wouldn't push Llano's potential graphics power, either. It'll most likely down to power consumption, and platform cost. Not sure if AMD has nailed the latter.

Bulldozer is where processing raw power will be a factor.
  14. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Posts: 5,889   +85

Enter the 985G Hybrid chipset! ;)
  15. LinkedKube

LinkedKube TechSpot Project Baby Posts: 4,265   +41

Its about time for amd to shine. The 4 year intel/amd power struggle is just about on schedule for a switch.
  16. red1776

you don't think 'tri-gate' is going to leave AMD in the dust?
  17. dividebyzero

How about Llano + integrated or embedded graphics + discrete graphics ?....That's like three or more bites of the cherry. Should keep the investors happy.
  18. red1776

Right!, and then lets throw a Lucid on there so you can run a gtx 260, a HD3850, and HD6990 with it. Seeee....I should be running the place.:D
  19. dividebyzero

...at lower framerates than using one card on its own !
  20. red1776

...Now stop messing about with facts!
  21. dividebyzero

Sorry...
    I lost my exuberance for dealing with three (or four) different graphics driver sets on one system.

Oooh, almost missed this gem...though I smell set up..
    Like your optimism.
    With AMD, IBM et al now realising -belatedly- that gate-first is pretty much a dead end, they now need to re-jig for gate-last (where Intel seems to have a clear run to 16/14nm thanks to FinFET's). Given that Intel and TSMC have pretty much all the experience with gate last, wouldn't it be just a little bit surprising if Intel didn't already have their IP and patents over the best ways through the process (and not just FinFET's)?
    For AMD to get out from under is going to require some serious R&D investment. Intel will more than likely remain ahead in performance/die-size mm² and performance/watt (thanks in part to using a smaller process) for the foreseeable future, so AMD will need to beat Intel at the architecture level, because they certainly wont be doing it at clockspeed or TDP.

As for Llano, it does provide a real opportunity for AMD, although I suspect that beating SB by a whopping margin is somewhat of a hollow victory- Intel aren’t exactly known as the gold standard in graphics. While AMD tout the gaming qualities of Llano, I’m sure Intel will be expounding on the “good enough” principle of low-res gaming and pointing to the fact that Llano is still K10 architecture based. AMD will surely reply with "How much computing power do you need in a mainstream CPU?"

rinse, repeat
  22. red1776

So If I understand this correctly, gate-last avoids some undesired effects that the heating process has on the High K Hafnium transistors in the area of leakage,conductivity etc. How much of an architectural re-write is this process of changing to gate-last exactly? (assuming AMD adopts Tri-gate of its own) It almost seems that Glo-Fo's changing from GF to GL may be a rising 'tide' type of scenario? ...or am I way off the mark here?
  23. dividebyzero

Aye. By quite a margin it would seem
    [Dave Kanter] [Thomas Hoffmann]
    Wouldn't have a clue tbh. Haven't seem anyone switch from GF to GL on an architecture.
    Samsung had already jumped ship, IBM and the rest I think compared their ramp to 32nm with Intel's -who had basically launched the Nehalem architecture change, quickly morphed it into Lynnfield whilst simultaneously introducing the same arch on 32nm with Clarkdale. Intel don't seem to have had any problems (manufacturing wise) with Clarkdale, Gulftown or Sandy Bridge
  24. LinkedKube

LinkedKube TechSpot Project Baby Posts: 4,265   +41

Its a good idea on paper, or I should rather say in a video.
  25. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,041   +72

By the way Ivy Bridge prototypes are being circulated for testing etc. right now. So the 'good idea' in reality has come to pass.

Any way on the GPU side of things, it is good to see AMD showing some progress, this should at least force Intel to improve its IGP enough to enable it to be there or there about. I think the entry level GPUs are total wastage of money, as they doesn't offer compelling enough performance for lot more power consumption; hence, elimination of this segment should be good for consumers (read lot less deception from OEMs).

Google being bit 'deceptive' when it comes to patching up their own holes ? ;)

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.