What Do You Use To Protect Your PC?

Obi-Wan Jerkobi

Well...what odd or practical methods do you use to keep your pc quick and virus-free?

My mom's PC has McAfee Internet Security Installed on it, best for people who don't know what they're doing, as the program does all the work.

I have an Old AT System Running IPCOP on it for network security. It's really old, but it has 256MB of PC100 and an AMD K6-3 500MHz.

My PC has Spybot S & D TeaTimer running in the background to notify me of any registry changes or startup changes, also to protect my pc when using embedded ie browsers in programs like Gamespy. AVG 8.0 is running in the background too, it does a scan every day at 3 P.M.

Uh well I use AVG 7.5 (still don't like 8.0), and Windows firewall.
I know this is not extreme protection but I rarely have any virus problems, and if I do, a quick format solves the issue in about 30 mins.

And I try to defrag it somewhat often, eliminate unneeded programs and files etc...

Having tons of RAM and a fast HDD really helps =)

Nothing really. Avast when I do use anything.

I use myself to protect my computer. It works about a million times better than any software ever created.

I use AVG, SpySweeper, SpyBot and SD Tea Timer on my business PC. SpySweeper and Tea Timer did not like each other for a while, but they now seem to stay, grudgingly, out of each other's way.

I used to have avg 7.5 free with spywareblaster and S&D but fell victim to virtumonde....and again after quick reformat!! Installed avg free 8.01 and have had no further problems.

AVG Antispyware is not the free version you are thinking of diablo1. It has an automated check and remove as you surf. Eset goes well with it.

according to Microsoft and Anti-Virus Companies a quick format does not properly delete viruses meaning that the could still harm you're computer it is just less likely so I wouldn't recommend a format but i use AVG 8.0 with it's Resident Sheild and I have not had a virus yet (touch wood).

I don't run antivirus or a 3rd party firewall on my machines. I just practice smart browsing.

SNGX1275 said:
I don't run antivirus or a 3rd party firewall on my machines. I just practice smart browsing.

lol I used to do that, but I got viruses (sasser worm) within 1-2 minutes of being connected to the Internet.

But there were absolutely no XP service packs back then though =)

wolfram said:
lol I used to do that, but I got viruses (sasser worm) within 1-2 minutes of being connected to the Internet.

But there were absolutely no XP service packs back then though =)

That must be why (service packs). I've had so many people tell me that over the years and all I could say was, that is a load of crap. I guess the service packs eliminated a lot of that, as I can't remember the specifics of all that "getting viruses just by being connected to the Internet" stuff. But I always thought it was ridiculous propaganda. Then again, maybe I was wrong, but I didn't ever see it happen first hand.

I also dont use antivirus protection on my desktop because i use it for gaming and not online. I dont use any protection on my laptop because it is OS X. But practising safe surfing is good too.

I use a lot of different softwares when on the internet, here's a list of some of the things I use:

Anti-virus / other:

AVG 7.5 Anti-Spyware
Avast! Anti-Virus
Comodo Firewall
Ad-Aware Professional
Spybot - S&D
HiJackThis

Proxy:

Vidalia software proxy ( Includes Tor and Privoxy )
SwitchProxy ( firefox addon, I have about 7000 different proxies that switch between every 60 seconds )

For as long as my subscription goes, i use

Norton Internet Security
Ad-Aware
Spyware Guard
Spyware Blaster
HJT

But i think that i will soon change my virusscanner, into another one .. Norton isnt my thing 100%

ThaMaestro said:
For as long as my subscription goes, i use

Norton Internet Security
Ad-Aware
Spyware Guard
Spyware Blaster
HJT

But i think that i will soon change my virusscanner, into another one .. Norton isnt my thing 100%

Norton isn't very good, you should get rid of it and use Avast!

It's free!

personally i think norton is one of the worst anti-virus it uses way too much system memory and slows you're computer right down

hey there

AVG and Avast are really good options - they're both free too.... Choosing what security to use should depend on the product's ability to destroy a high percentage of threats while not requiring too much system resources....

Norton is really poor in both these regards and i do not recommend its use to anyone....

Spyder_1386 :)

I must agree, I used to swear by Norton, but once installed....boy was it hard to get off!! lol... and used a lot of resources, however, their tech support was faultess!

I have a hardware NAT router with firewall so I don't use any personal firewall software.

For Windows I use Spybot S&D, AVG 8, Spywareblaster and Mozilla Firefox with the noscript, flashblock and adblock add ons.

For Linux I use Mozilla Firefox with the noscript, flashblock and adblock add ons.

:approve:

-Edit: Oh and Norton is crapware.

Back